push up bars - any good?

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
s lunt

push up bars - any good?

Postby s lunt » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:25 pm

I sometimes has wrist pain so have tried press ups on my knuckles which is ok, but i am interested to see what people think of the press up bars on the market ,How do they feel what make are good ? are the rotating ones a gimmic ? reccommendations appreciated.

Buddha

Re: push up bars - any good?

Postby Buddha » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:29 pm

I have a standard cheap set of bars and really enjoy using them, the increased range of motion works the chest muscles better. Like you I had wrist pains but these are not present with the bars. I think they enhance wrist/ forearm strength more then regular push ups due to the position and gripping of the handles.
'It would have to be beautiful and hard as steel and make people ashamed of their existence.'

WeakandWimpy

Postby WeakandWimpy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:44 pm

The bars help.

A long time ago I had some minor problem with my wrist that made push ups difficult and being the cheap bastard I am, instead of buying anything I used two 10kg dumbbells as handles (non-adjustable ones often have flat sides so they'll stay put).
If you do want to buy some comercial push up bars, meh, the only thing they can adjust is the grip and since you're only pushing like 2/3 of your BW in a standard push up, it doesn't seem necessary. I'd just get whatever is cheapest.

Regarding rotating handles, I've heard only good things but that's just from various internet forums so take it with a grain of salt. It does make sense though, given that in any BW exercise where you remove stability you dramatically increase the difficulty.
We are still masters of our fate,
We are still captains of our souls.

MitchellH

Postby MitchellH » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:04 pm

I picked up a set of Perfect Pushup handles at Wally World for $10. I think they're great. I do Perfect Atomic pushups using my homemade suspension trainer and the Perfect Pushup handles.

Here is a study by ACE giving them a good review: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:fsaE9almn4MJ:www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/PerfectPushup2009.pdf+ace+perfect+pushup&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESi-2ZO4wDxmT3OlXHr1TH0wee0wGdsqlYrHHYmjNBMXiBNFZc0P4D_xGTT8bFTuzcVJh-YBmFIODEnVr0fXPUGh-O704ETGnRMT6LBabZ4U1a5JzP9PJQWI89Fla5HkvsfMM-pN&sig=AHIEtbR_nK9jdAg49jaJOtZ5F7HHlI45Qg
That which does not kill you has made a tactical error...

Razor

Postby Razor » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:17 pm

I use the rotating 'Perfect push up' ones due to suffering wrist pain and I think they are great. Everyone that has tried them has commented on how they are a bit harder than a normal push up and they they can feel there chest and shoulders working more than usual.

If your going to buy a set of push up bars I would recommend getting the rotating ones as they are worth the extra bit of money.

Mine cost me £25 in the UK.

quickdraw

Postby quickdraw » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:38 pm

i bought the perfect pushup for 10$ at some sporting goods store and a have pair of home made paralettes that i do most of my pushup exercises on. i started using them to increase the ROM of conventional pushups

Jordan40oz.

Postby Jordan40oz. » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Had some given to me from a garage sale for $5 US. They are a cheap, no-name brand, but they have worked for me for the past three-four years or so. They don't magically transform pushups for me, but they are a nice change sometimes.
In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked. - Dr. HST

Fist

Postby Fist » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:07 pm

I just use a set of dumbbells as push-up handles. Pretty much free since i already had them and you can use different weights to get any height you want.

s4lnj

Postby s4lnj » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:37 pm

the rotating ones are certainly a change. i feel it much more in the front of my shoulders. we have a set in my bosses desk at work, the record was 65 consecutive.... i said " that's weak, i'll do 70 right now" 52 reps later i was done.

me and the boss have been pushing each other and right now he has the record at 77, while i'm at 74. bastard is always a step ahead of me.

but yeah, grab some handles, it will be a nice switch now and then
The story of the human race is the story of men and women selling themselves short.----Abraham Maslow

http://www.scarred4liferacing.com

Slotback

Postby Slotback » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:33 pm

I have a pair of cheap ones. They work well enough for me.

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”