Homemade Pull-up Bar - Experiences

If you build it, they will come...
Ross Enamait
Site Admin

Homemade Pull-up Bar - Experiences

Postby Ross Enamait » Fri May 02, 2008 11:00 am

Has anyone built anything similar to this:

I'm wondering how it went, any modifications that you found useful, how stable it is, etc.

I have a few of my own ideas which differ significantly from the above model. I'd definitely be interested in hearing what others have done however. I want to build something that is freestanding and durable.

Thanks,
Ross

EyeOfTheTiger

Postby EyeOfTheTiger » Fri May 02, 2008 11:15 am

I saw this in the Equipment forum. Not really anything in terms of comments about it, but I don't know, maybe you could get something from the various pics.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... %26fvi%3D1
For lots of info on training and nutrition matters, look here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21407

"You cannot run away from a weakness; you must sometime fight it out or perish. And if that be so, why not now, and where you stand?"

Out Of Breath

Postby Out Of Breath » Fri May 02, 2008 11:24 am

Should'nt this be in training equipment section? I couldnt help myself pointing ROSS to the right forum... :Now, that's funny: :Now, that's funny: I build much anything I need myself. 3/4" gas pipe (which this looks to be will be plenty strong enough). The weakest point will be the flange attachment to the wood base. However if carriage bolts are used (rather than screws into the wood) the connection point will be strong enough to support pull-ups.
95% of all accidents occur immediately after the words - "Hey...watch this."

Ross Enamait
Site Admin

Postby Ross Enamait » Fri May 02, 2008 11:30 am

Should'nt this be in training equipment section? I couldnt help myself pointing ROSS to the right forum... I build much anything I need myself. 3/4" gas pipe (which this looks to be will be plenty strong enough). The weakest point will be the flange attachment to the wood base. However if carriage bolts are used (rather than screws into the wood) the connection point will be strong enough to support pull-ups.

It definitely should, but I need as many ideas as possible. More people will see it here. I can then move it to the equipment section afterwards.

As for the connection point, I still see trouble with any power based movement (ex. a kipping motion). That was one of the flaws that immediately came to mind. I'm considering a 4 pieces of pipe on top, so it would look like a square from an overhead view. Any of the 4 sides could then be its own pull-up bar.

We'll see what happens.

Ross

fartlek

Postby fartlek » Fri May 02, 2008 11:35 am

My friend built that exact model, it's good, but he did bolt it into a concrete floor (outside). He's actually built a lot of stuff from that site and others as well. I usually help him rig stuff up.

When it was freestanding, it wasn't the sturdiest thing around but did the job. I weigh 90kg and was doing pullups on it (freestanding) with around 20kg of weight in a backpack, so it easily supported 110kg. Like you say though, swinging on it causes it to rock around a bit. Probably a bit unsafe.

My buddy "obtained" some tubular steel from work. If you want more info about the grade or specific type of steel (carbon:steel ratios) then go ahead and PM me.

Bear in mind that all the joints were welded, can you weld?

I personally would use four more bracing members on that particular design if I was to construct it and wanted it to be freestanding. It would then be solid as a rock.

Just make sure the materials you do use are to a good degree of quality. The joints at the bottom of that design have to be good. Welding is a must to ensure safety.

Of course, I'm all about safety, you could probably rig up a good pullup bar without welding (I'd like to see how you jointed it though), collecting high quality materials and without additional bracing members. I just want to be sure/safe, me and my friend are both engineers, so we try to do stuff at a high quality.

I'd love to see some other designs, I love homemade exercise equipment ideas.

Ross Enamait
Site Admin

Postby Ross Enamait » Fri May 02, 2008 11:40 am

Fartlek - I share many of the same thoughts. When I first saw the image, I wondered if this was merely a computer graphic, or if someone actually used it. I have more than enough to go on now. We'll see what happens. This is likely something that won't happen for a few weeks.

Thanks,
Ross

juvenal

Postby juvenal » Fri May 02, 2008 11:42 am

I once built one pull-up bar exactly like that one, using exclusively pipe that someone thrown away.

I used 3/4" steel pipe and a wooden base.

I weight 71Kg and did pull-ups with + 10kg. It did swing a little (actually more than just a little), but in the end it did the job. I didn't really trust the damn thing, though.

The wooden base cracked and that was the end of that pull-up bar. RIP :roll:

If you run some steel cable over it you could make more stable, assuming you have a really sturdy base and use 1" pipe.

/|\
/ | \
/_|_\

(^ Sketch)

I still have some pipe lying around in the house. One of these days I might build another one.

In the meantime I'm just gonna buy one of those Door Gym things... 8)

Juvenal

EDIT: It couldn't handle any kipping!
Last edited by juvenal on Fri May 02, 2008 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

theseanmw

Postby theseanmw » Fri May 02, 2008 11:43 am

My squat rack, bench and pullup bar are all homemade. They were done by my Father. The pullup bar works great, and he just used some scrap wood to throw it together in a very short time.

If you click on the picture you can enlarge it to make it easier to see how it was built.

The key was the piece in the corner, going from the base to the side piece, without that it would wobble. You could also add one to the other side if you want, but mine works fine with only one.

whoady4shoady

Postby whoady4shoady » Fri May 02, 2008 12:09 pm

Ross, do you think the one in the link below will be good for Kipping and or ring work.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBay.....%26fvi%3D1

Ross Enamait
Site Admin

Postby Ross Enamait » Fri May 02, 2008 12:24 pm

whoady4shoady - the link is not working for me...

theseanmw - great stuff, also looks very easy to build. Thank you

Return to “Training Equipment”