Burpees vs. Hill Sprints

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
Steve C

Burpees vs. Hill Sprints

Postby Steve C » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:23 pm

I've been toying with this idea in my head. I can't decide which exercise I like better in terms of conditioning. I always thought that there was nothing better than hill sprints for turning oneself into a beast, but then I started on burpees, and now I can't decide! Thoughts? Which do you feel does a better job of getting you into condition?
I'd just like to point out that I don't intend on doing just one or the other, I love them both. :D

JPH

Re: Burpees vs. Hill Sprints

Postby JPH » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:29 pm

Steve C wrote:I'd just like to point out that I don't intend on doing just one or the other, I love them both. :D

I think you hit it right there. I believe the key to good conditioning is variety.

If I had to choose, I guess I'd pick burpees b/c they are portable.
"Even in the high-tech battlefield of today, it is the soldier with the rifle who still makes the differnece....[so too] the firefighter and his nozzle will continue to be the difference between life and death for literally thousands..."
Lt. Andy Fredricks, FDNY (LODD 9/11/01)

DBD

Postby DBD » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:30 pm

Both!! I just wish I had some better hills around here. I think burpees might be the hardest single exercise ever invented.

Actually, I saw a video of a guy going burpee pullups the other day. That looks pretty brutal. Do a burpee under an 8' pullup. Jump up, grab it, and do a pullup each time. I saw one of the CrossFit beasts do 100 in just over 10 min. I doubt I could do 100 straight regardless of the time!

saxon

Postby saxon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:44 pm

Both on diferent days :wink:
What you know does not matter - what you do matters.

david__001

Re: Burpees vs. Hill Sprints

Postby david__001 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:47 pm

Steve C wrote:I've been toying with this idea in my head. I can't decide which exercise I like better in terms of conditioning. I always thought that there was nothing better than hill sprints for turning oneself into a beast, but then I started on burpees, and now I can't decide! Thoughts? Which do you feel does a better job of getting you into condition?
I'd just like to point out that I don't intend on doing just one or the other, I love them both. :D

I like them both, but in terms of "favouritism", I must admit I lean towards hill sprints. I find them one of the most exhilarating and effective activities. Notable training effects include:

* enhancement of brute power from a standing start, accelaration, decelaration, straight line speed.
* leg conditioning and muscular development (feet, achilles tendons, calves, the "big" leg musculature, hamstrings).
* cardiovascular conditioning.

I posted some pics of some hills I like to run here: http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16372.

My current favourite is the "little" "urban hill" (first set of pictures I posted). It's small, steep, completely evil, and perhaps most importantly, near to my house!
Last edited by david__001 on Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.

RazorKaine

Postby RazorKaine » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:50 pm

Burpees.
They hit the upper body, too.

Else, try hill sprints with pushups at the end of each sprint.

Or hill sprints with burpees at the end of each sprint! :shock:

heliobates

Postby heliobates » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:00 pm

RazorKaine wrote:Or hill sprints with burpees at the end of each sprint! :shock:

Or jumping burpees.

Uphill.

Both ways...

mikeyc1972

Postby mikeyc1972 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:13 pm

heliobates wrote:
RazorKaine wrote:Or hill sprints with burpees at the end of each sprint! :shock:

Or jumping burpees.

Uphill.

Both ways...

why not a burpee back into burpee 2nd postion(squat thrust) and bear crawl up the hill,burpee at top,run back to burpee at bottom....
I can do everything through him who gives me strength
Philippians 4:13 (New International Version)
As iron sharpens iron,
so one man sharpens another.
Proverbs 27:17 (New International Version)

Gray Fox

Postby Gray Fox » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:21 pm

RazorKaine wrote:Burpees.
They hit the upper body, too.

Else, try hill sprints with pushups at the end of each sprint.

Or hill sprints with burpees at the end of each sprint! :shock:

For me the push-up part is no problem I think if I had the fuel to do 100 burpees straight I wouldn't feel it in my arms. Burpees may be ''handier'' (does this word exist? :D handy -> handier?!) you can do them anyplace anytime anyhow. For ultimate conditioning just combine them and be prepared to get f*cked up.
Who dares wins

Steve C

Postby Steve C » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:26 pm

I tried that about a month ago. I could only do 4 intervals with 10 burpees after each sprint before I collapsed and couldn't move a muscle. One of the best workouts I've ever had.

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”