Homemade sled?

If you build it, they will come...
dankid

Homemade sled?

Postby dankid » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:39 am

Hey everyone i was thinking of making a homemade sled to do some sled dragging soon.

I would like to make one with wheels if its possible so i can go to a big open concrete area and do it there, and not tear up all the grass as parks around here. Anyone ever seen a sled with wheels?

Out Of Breath

Postby Out Of Breath » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:27 pm

I imagine you would have to add drag to the wheels plus weight in the sled. Possibly a heavy compression springs against the wheels secured by 2 nuts. The nuts can be tightened or loosening depending on how much drag your would need. The weight in the sled alone wouldnt work once the momentum of the pull starts going. Just a thought.
95% of all accidents occur immediately after the words - "Hey...watch this."

tim_mcf

Postby tim_mcf » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:11 pm

Wheels kind of defeat the purpose. Your sled would have to be butt-heavy, like a car. As far as that goes, why not just pull a car?
Obsession: A word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated.

CIby1012

Postby CIby1012 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:15 pm

If you’re pulling on cement, try getting a tire instead. (I got mine for free from a junk yard) You won’t need as much weight inside because the rubber on the road gives you a lot of friction as it is.

[N]iGhT[M]aRe

Postby [N]iGhT[M]aRe » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:23 pm

Could any of you guys give me any tips on how to make a sled sled? Preferably one with an arm so I can add weights. I don't give a shit about the grass in my backyard, no one uses it unless we are barbecuing. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Lizzie

Postby Lizzie » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:46 am

See this website and scroll down to the phtograph of an easy-to-make sled with an arm for weights:

http://makeyourowngear.blogspot.com/
Yes, I'm going to try for the sun.

[N]iGhT[M]aRe

Postby [N]iGhT[M]aRe » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:47 pm

Lizzie wrote:See this website and scroll down to the phtograph of an easy-to-make sled with an arm for weights:

http://makeyourowngear.blogspot.com/

GREAT site! Thanks a lot!

BossDawg

Postby BossDawg » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:40 pm

That was a great site, thanks.

Has anyone made a plyo box like the one shown on that site? If so, what did you use and how did it work?

Thanks.
It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.—Paul "Bear" Bryant

The reward of a thing well done, is to have done it.

Stick to a task until it sticks to you. Beginners are many, enders are few.

StoryTeller

Postby StoryTeller » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:59 pm

^Irrigation boxes sold at Lowes and I'm sure Home Depot are another cheap alternative. There are plans for some great looking boxes somewhere on Crossfit if you've got the energy to put them together.

Good site. I like the looks of that sled - you'd think as long as I have worked home repair/remodeling I'd have come up with something similar. Tire is working well though.

check raise

Postby check raise » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:21 pm

from the dave draper site wrote: Finally, if most of your pulling is going to be on pavement or a similar hard surface, take an old tire and drill through the tread, to attach the "eye" bolt. Fit a circular or square piece of plywood into the tire, so that the plates won't fall through...a loading post isn't 100 percent necessary but it is nice. This is probably the cheapest sled of all and you have a nasty "friction factor" to overcome as well. (It will really tear up loose dirt and grass, though.)
I made one for use on grass by using an old wheelbarrow.

Return to “Training Equipment”