Recipe for Flapjack that doesn't use processed sugars

Discuss nutrition and supplementation
lewismansell

Recipe for Flapjack that doesn't use processed sugars

Postby lewismansell » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Anyone got any suggestions for a recipe for flapjack that doesn't include any processed sugars like syrup?

FeelGood

Re: Recipe for Flapjack that doesn't use processed sugars

Postby FeelGood » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:29 am

So you haven't heard of the UFP? Macc is also UFP certified.
viewtopic.php?p=838505#p838505
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61564

the idea is to use banana and another fruit to sweeten the pancake naturally
RT Log
Log updates, GPP info, music, fight stuff...motivation..artsy.. and whatever else it morphs into > http://feelgood-training.tumblr.com

chocoholic

Postby chocoholic » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:30 am

lewismansell wrote:Anyone got any suggestions for a recipe for flapjack that doesn't include any processed sugars like syrup?

Sugar and/or syrup is an essential part of the recipe for binding the oats together. You can try substituting syrup for honey and some sugar for artificial sweeteners or apricots/prunes but the end result is always going to be very high in calories and sugars. It may be "natural" or more "natural" sugars but it isn't much better for you (if at all).

It's nigh on impossible to make a "healthy" flapjack without fundamentally changing the recipe and ending up with something completely different.

FeelGood

Postby FeelGood » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:55 am

Choco,

I use the fruit for sweetness and flavor - but as far as binding goes I've made them with just oats and eggs blended but taste-wise that is not great. Through experimentation (on myself, obviously not a completely controlled environment) I feel my performance and weight reacted much better to the healthier UFP version than traditional flour and sugar.
RT Log
Log updates, GPP info, music, fight stuff...motivation..artsy.. and whatever else it morphs into > http://feelgood-training.tumblr.com

chocoholic

Postby chocoholic » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:08 am

FeelGood wrote:Choco,

I use the fruit for sweetness and flavor - but as far as binding goes I've made them with just oats and eggs blended but taste-wise that is not great. Through experimentation (on myself, obviously not a completely controlled environment) I feel my performance and weight reacted much better to the healthier UFP version than traditional flour and sugar.

He's a Brit and in the UK flapjacks are a type of oat/syrup/sugar/butter based biscuit, not pancakes.

Lost in translation.

FeelGood

Postby FeelGood » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:24 am

:mozilla_oops: oops
RT Log

mtguy

Postby mtguy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:49 am

I basically follow that same recipe, minor variations though. But I add peanut butter and honey on top of it
"The nice thing about being the best is that you can listen to other people's advice without necessarily having to take it."
Co-worker

Reggae Junkie Jew

Postby Reggae Junkie Jew » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:58 am

1 whole egg, 4 egg whites, 1/2 cup of wheat bran, 1/2 cup of oats, 1 large banana, 2 scoops of chocolate whey protein powder and a little bit of water or milk to thin it out.
Put that in a blender, then blend on the highest setting for a while and its ready to go. Makes tasty, super filling, chocolate banana pancakes.

Has a different texture from that of a normal pancake made from flour, but I think they taste better.
Keep your excuses to yourself, no one cares -Dave Tate
Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't - Jerry Rice

kralleyeah

Postby kralleyeah » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:54 pm

banana and eggs.

2 eggs pr 1 banana.
blend it together and add in some blended/finely chopped almonds (handfull-ish), or other kind of nuts.

fry in lots of butter, coconut oil or whatever you prefer.

fast and easy...
tastes pretty sweet though

Return to “Nutrition and Supplementation”