How to build power in punches

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
braindx

Re: How to build power in punches

Postby braindx » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:35 am

1. Work on technique.
2. Get strong.

jkdman81

Postby jkdman81 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:58 am

Work on building core strength & put in bag work all your punching & kick power comes from the core I'd strengthen my core & beat the hell out the bag
my only limitation is having no limitations!!!!

Sweet Feet ;)

Postby Sweet Feet ;) » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks alot all the post has been helpful and that website im gonna use for a good while :mozilla_wink: . My coach dont believe in weights he reckons just technique but thats where we disagree i think strength and conditioning benefits as well as knowing how to punch. both go hand in hand i feel

cboog

Postby cboog » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Sweet Feet ;) wrote:Thanks alot all the post has been helpful and that website im gonna use for a good while :mozilla_wink: . My coach dont believe in weights he reckons just technique but thats where we disagree i think strength and conditioning benefits as well as knowing how to punch. both go hand in hand i feel

Listen to your coach, he's a coach for a reason.

Ross Enamait
Site Admin

Postby Ross Enamait » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:22 am

Most novices should not worry too much about trying to develop more power with supplemental activities. They should instead dedicate more time to the sport itself. Power isn't just about what you physically possess. You won't be punching a stationary object. Actual punching power is based on your ability to punch an opponent who is also trying to knock off your head.

Technique is obviously important, but you also need to learn how to set up power shots (ex. working behind the jab). You need to learn about distance, timing, punch placement, etc.

Here is a great quote from Cus D'Amato about Tyson's power as a young heavyweight:

"Mike's (Tyson) punch is like an atomic bomb in that it is relative to nature. Both have no value unless you have a means of conveying it to the target. He is boxing-smart."

In summary, focus more time on the sport itself. You can then begin to add bits and pieces as your experience grows. Don't rush into too much supplemental work however. It must not interfere with the actual learning process.

Many novices in today's era spend more time in the weight room than they do in the ring. Meanwhile, there are other kids in Rocky-like gyms who are sparring hard, banging away on the heavy bags and mitts, etc., who are still cleaning house at all the big tournaments.

taedoju

Postby taedoju » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:21 am

great post ! i as begginer often neglected my technique work to lift more in the gym, yet it never gave me the same results as technique polishing...

Sweet Feet ;)

Postby Sweet Feet ;) » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:24 am

Ross Enamait wrote:Most novices should not worry too much about trying to develop more power with supplemental activities. They should instead dedicate more time to the sport itself. Power isn't just about what you physically possess. You won't be punching a stationary object. Actual punching power is based on your ability to punch an opponent who is also trying to knock off your head.

Technique is obviously important, but you also need to learn how to set up power shots (ex. working behind the jab). You need to learn about distance, timing, punch placement, etc.

Here is a great quote from Cus D'Amato about Tyson's power as a young heavyweight:

"Mike's (Tyson) punch is like an atomic bomb in that it is relative to nature. Both have no value unless you have a means of conveying it to the target. He is boxing-smart."

In summary, focus more time on the sport itself. You can then begin to add bits and pieces as your experience grows. Don't rush into too much supplemental work however. It must not interfere with the actual learning process.

Many novices in today's era spend more time in the weight room than they do in the ring. Meanwhile, there are other kids in Rocky-like gyms who are sparring hard, banging away on the heavy bags and mitts, etc., who are still cleaning house at all the big tournaments.

Completely agree with your advice, ive got a decent amount of boxing knowledge and a good boxing brain where i've been competing for 6 yrs so ive got quite a good technical understanding but really havn't spend to much time on the strength and conditioning so thats why i thought i should add that to my training on top of my boxing without decreasing the boxing sessions, Will strength and condition increase my punching power by alot???

jkdman81

Postby jkdman81 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:06 pm

Another thing you might want to consider is the fact that punching power especially the knockout out power that everyone want is somewhat genenitic meaning you either have or you don't you can definately train to increase your punching power somewhat but it only can take you so far... Sorry
My advise is focus on training & strengthen your core & keep training your hands(boxing)
Best of luck brother
my only limitation is having no limitations!!!!

Sweet Feet ;)

Postby Sweet Feet ;) » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:09 pm

jkdman81 wrote:Another thing you might want to consider is the fact that punching power especially the knockout out power that everyone want is somewhat genenitic meaning you either have or you don't you can definately train to increase your punching power somewhat but it only can take you so far... Sorry
My advise is focus on training & strengthen your core & keep training your hands(boxing)
Best of luck brother

Yh i hear what your saying, Edwin Valero... pure genetics :mozilla_sealed: Thanks for the advice i'll give it a try

Ross Enamait
Site Admin

Postby Ross Enamait » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Will strength and condition increase my punching power by alot

There are loads of factors to consider. Simply becoming more conditioned typically will not lead to better power. You may maintain your power longer however. I always tell my guys that everyone is strong and sharp in the early rounds. Good fighters are conditioned well enough to carry their power longer into the fight.

It is possible though to become stronger in areas that do contribute.

For example, one study of 100+ amateur boxers (conducted by Filiminov) used tensiometric dynamometers to determine the origin and nature of punching power. Their findings concluded that almost 40% of the power from a punch is produced by the lower body. As much as 38 percent is associated with trunk rotation. Their research confirmed that the initiation of a punch starts at the ground (feet) and travels up the legs through the hips (multiplying in force).

With an understanding of where power originates, you can improve these areas (at least to an extent).

Here is another study that showed how wrapped hands led to more powerful punches:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6525750

Within the study, the following is concluded:

Therefore, it can be concluded that the bandaging increases the rigidity of the hand and facilitates the transfer of the force in comparison to a similar punch without a bandage or with a thinner one.

There is more to take from the research however. Clearly, when one punches with a wrapped hand, one is less hesitant to punch with maximal power (ie. no concern over injury). You may not necessarily develop more power, but you lose less as you are able to punch with everything you have. With this in mind, you can see how strengthening the hands and wrists can also be beneficial (ie. you become more confident in your ability to strike without risk of injury).

So yes, one can certainly improve. My only caution is that one doesn't get carried away in trying to improve. It is your skill that will open up your shots. The best shots are typically those that are not seen (ie. you set up a picture perfect counter). This is a result of skill, not a particular weight lifting exercise .

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”