Yes, its another Homemade TRX option!

If you build it, they will come...
Beev

Yes, its another Homemade TRX option!

Postby Beev » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:47 pm

Hey folks. I've decided to build a DIY TRX system to take away with me as I'm always working away from home.

Here is a breakdown of how I went about it. First of all, I bought a 3.5 Meter Tie down strap made of 25mm webbing with a Cam buckle. I tied a knot about 10 inches away from the Cam buckle, which will act as the door anchor. It has saved me from making a separate item.

Here is the strap attached to a door:

Next up, I bought a pair of M10 Quick Link Chain Links (I only needed one)

Image Image Image

Next I took some 25mm webbing that I already had (a friend let me have an old rathet tie down as the ratchet had broken), and using a bow line knot and some PVC pipe (which I got from the skip in a building site I was working on at the time) made the first section of the second strap:

Here is a quick pic of a bow line knot:

Note, you can see the knot above, the problem with it is where the loop is made (on the third description), the knot can slip where it is attached on the left hand side. The problem this causes is your handle suddenly becomes alot smaller when you press your weight on it. I remedied this by tying a lever knot around the left side with what is left of the piece running through the bowline knot. This has made the knot super secure!

Repeated the previous on a much shorter piece and bought a 25mm Cam Buckle. Which my Mum kindly sewed for me (I love me mum!), which made up the second section of the second strap:

Here is how the two are fitted together.

And here is how it looks fully assembled:

I can easily adjust the height and length of either quickly via the cam buckles. And for Uni Lateral exercises, the second strap works great on its own:

Now all I need is a couple of lengths of webbing to make foot attachments and I'm all set!

As for the price, I bought everything on ebay. I bought the 3.5 meter Cam Buckle Tie Down and the extra Cam Buckle for £5.40, and the quick link chain repair links were £1.99 a pair. I already had the webbing and got the PVC handles for nothing. So altogether, I got a TRX type suspension trainer for the measly price of £7.41!

If I had to, I could have gotten 10 meters of webbing for £3.45, and 2 25mm Cam Buckles for £2.48, and £1.99 for the Chain Repair Links, and still got the whole thing for £7.92.

Hope that gives a few of you some ideas.

Yours,
Beev

rubadub

Re: Yes, its another Homemade TRX option!

Postby rubadub » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:12 pm

Good post. This site is good for various knots, also has the pros & cons listed about them, here is one for tying knots in webbing.
http://www.animatedknots.com/waterknot/ ... dknots.com

Was it an ebay business seller you bought from? if so who?

I have used handystraps, they do extra long webbing loops so you can cut off bits from the end and use them for other things.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Handy-Straps
Use code MP99441 at checkout for 5% off your first order at http://www.myprotein.co.uk cheap european delivery.

Beev

Postby Beev » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:15 am

I got the gear from this ebay seller : http://shop.ebay.co.uk/vblih/m.html?_nk ... ksid=p4340.

Yours,
Beev

Ross Enamait
Site Admin

Postby Ross Enamait » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks for sharing. I'll add this variation to the Homemade Equipment Sticky.

henryd

Postby henryd » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:59 am

Awesome beev thanks for sharing, I'm going to order the stuff and try get this together at the weekend.
Henry. Viviscal is great, read about it on viviscal reviews or this viviscal review to find out about viviscal in detail.

Bagman

Postby Bagman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:38 am

Cheers for that, I've been looking at the things I'd need to buy to make one and it was coming to around £25.
Can buy a cheap one for around the same (£25) so now I can make one cheaper using your idea

Return to “Training Equipment”