A progressive Magic 50 -- Counter-productive?

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
danriffle

A progressive Magic 50 -- Counter-productive?

Postby danriffle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:22 pm

On my past several Magic 50s, I've been progressively upping the weight as I work through the sets (for example this morning, I worked through 45#, 50#, 55#, 60#, 55# with the 60# being a new PB). But, by the time I hit the 55# the :60 rest was out the window--more like 2:00+. With the 60# I had to rest between the Swings and Snatches and Burpees, which is why I dialed it back to 55# for the final set.

I'm thinking that upping the weight at the cost of need longer recovery turns that into more of a Strength workout and less of a GPP--so I'm probably not getting that benefit that I clearly need. Maybe I should back-off the weight during the GPP sessions and save the heavy DB work for strength sessions or mini-workouts?

Thoughts?

Dan in WV

da pm1200

Re: A progressive Magic 50 -- Counter-productive?

Postby da pm1200 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:37 pm

I look at the magic 50 as more of a conditioning circiut and try to go through it as fast as possible. At this point Im happy to use a 50lb dumbell and keep my rest down to a minute. My next progression witll be to cut that down to 45seconds and eventually 30 seconds.

Metherlance

Postby Metherlance » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:38 pm

I'm with da pm on this.. Don't up your weight but instead try to cut down the rest.. As you said, magic 50 is for conditioning so make it about conditioning rather than strength ;D
My Protein UK Use referral MP96363 for 5% off.

Buddha

Postby Buddha » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:20 pm

Once I get under a specific time with a weight (10 mins) I go up a few kg then work with that until I get under 10 again. That way it stays a conditioning workout but over time you can build up the weight, I started with 20kg and the last weight I got under 10 with was 28kg. Going up in weight is a great way to add intensity but remember that the aim of the workout is to improve conditioning. By following a method such as the one listed above you only go up in weight when extra intensity is required.
'It would have to be beautiful and hard as steel and make people ashamed of their existence.'

MagicMike

Postby MagicMike » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:09 pm

Buddha wrote:Once I get under a specific time with a weight (10 mins) I go up a few kg then work with that until I get under 10 again. That way it stays a conditioning workout but over time you can build up the weight, I started with 20kg and the last weight I got under 10 with was 28kg. Going up in weight is a great way to add intensity but remember that the aim of the workout is to improve conditioning. By following a method such as the one listed above you only go up in weight when extra intensity is required.

x2

WilliamK8987

Postby WilliamK8987 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:12 am

da pm1200 wrote:I look at the magic 50 as more of a conditioning circiut and try to go through it as fast as possible. At this point Im happy to use a 50lb dumbell and keep my rest down to a minute. My next progression witll be to cut that down to 45seconds and eventually 30 seconds.

Same here, also I don't have DBs so I am stuck using the coupe KB sI have, which I personally think makes the workout harder.

danriffle

Postby danriffle » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:52 am

Roger that. I'll back the weight down and try to work faster and recover more quickly.

Thanks,
Dan in WV

Ross Enamait
Site Admin

Postby Ross Enamait » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:57 am

As you said, magic 50 is for conditioning so make it about conditioning rather than strength

There is more to the story however ^

Consider a fighter for example. As a fighter's condition improves, does he stop resting between rounds? Of course not. No matter how well conditioned the fighter, he still rests for one minute between rounds (on fight night). Training to recover between rounds is an important part of the conditioning process. There is much more to conditioning than simply pushing through a workout with the "for time" mentality. Without rest, reps will become sloppier and sloppier, and you will have no practice recovering between intense bursts of action (similar to a round of fighting).

There is a time and place for nonstop, all out routines, but there is also a time and place for designated rest periods. When working with the latter environment, you are able to put out more quality work per round/interval.

Just think of the fighter who competes with 3 minute rounds. He will not train with one continuous 20 minute round. If he did, the quality of work would deteriorate as each minute passed. Instead, he will train to keep a FAST pace during each 3 minute round, and then be able to quickly recover so that he will be fresh to start the next round.

One line that you'll often hear at our gym is that if you start fast you need to finish fast! Feeling strong in round one isn't enough. You need to feel strong in the late rounds as well.

Ross

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”