Hanging Gymnastic Rings

If you build it, they will come...
User avatar
sveinbjorn
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:17 pm
Location: High Desert, CA, USA

Hanging Gymnastic Rings

Postby sveinbjorn » Mon May 21, 2018 11:33 am

Hi guys,
Long-time lurker with a question:
I would like to mount gymnastic rings on my back patio. The roof has 2x6 rafters (joists?) running out to a cross beam supported by 4x4s. I want to drill a 3/8' or 1/2" hole through two of the rafters, about 2 feet from the crossbeam and install eye bolts of the same diameter, and then use carabiners to attach the straps for the rings.

My concern is that, over time, the eye bolts may possibly wear away at the inside of the holes from the downward, swinging pressure. Have any of you mounted gym rings or suspension equipment this way? Is this a valid concern? I am not going to do full gymnastic routines, just rings exercises like pull-ups, top position holds, dips,etc.

Thanks in advance....
"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."
-Teddy Roosevelt




User avatar
speedy
Posts: 7596
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:28 pm
Location: in front of a keyboard

Re: Hanging Gymnastic Rings

Postby speedy » Tue May 22, 2018 7:33 am

Instead of install an eye-bolt how about making the hole and just put the strap through it? If the beams are exposed and you can loop it over it that is what I would do.
Dr Sara Salomon <---more than just a pretty face. She is smart and has a lot of insight and yes I admit it, easy on the eyes. :mozilla_cool:

User avatar
ideaman
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:20 pm

Re: Hanging Gymnastic Rings

Postby ideaman » Tue May 29, 2018 12:03 pm

Buy two 3/4" galvanize or black flanges and a 24' nipple, 2- 3/4" elbows and two 3" or 3 1/ 2" nipples. Screw them together and screw the flanges to the joist.
Or. Lay a pipe across the top of the joists and buy two U clamps to prevent the pipe from moving. Then connect the rings to it.

pathfighter
Posts: 2330
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Hanging Gymnastic Rings

Postby pathfighter » Tue May 29, 2018 1:58 pm

If possible, I would span two joists with a length of metal pipe, then hang one ring from the pipe. Repeat this with another pipe slightly wider than shoulder width away. This should provide a very sturdy basis for your rings workouts should you want to add weight in the future or attempt explosive movements like muscle-ups.

In general, I prefer to overbuild solutions like these where there is both a risk of structural damage to the home and risk of injury.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

User avatar
speedy
Posts: 7596
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:28 pm
Location: in front of a keyboard

Re: Hanging Gymnastic Rings

Postby speedy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:59 pm

Going back to ring training and remembered this post. I went nuts and got a Rogue S-3 rack and love it!
Dr Sara Salomon <---more than just a pretty face. She is smart and has a lot of insight and yes I admit it, easy on the eyes. :mozilla_cool:

User avatar
Arkann
Posts: 2340
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: Hanging Gymnastic Rings

Postby Arkann » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:24 pm

speedy wrote:Going back to ring training and remembered this post. I went nuts and got a Rogue S-3 rack and love it!

Please don't say you use it for rings only :mozilla_sealed:

User avatar
speedy
Posts: 7596
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:28 pm
Location: in front of a keyboard

Re: Hanging Gymnastic Rings

Postby speedy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:55 pm

Arkann wrote:
speedy wrote:Going back to ring training and remembered this post. I went nuts and got a Rogue S-3 rack and love it!

Please don't say you use it for rings only :mozilla_sealed:


Well I also use the bar but I can't do weights anymore. I sold 98% of the stuff. Just kept the rack and the weights I use to stabilize it. I got rid of the matador for I only use fix dipping bars when going weighted which I can't do anymore. I got rid of the neutral pull-up bars again for weighted. Go rid of all the weights except the Olympic ones that I use to stabilize the rack. I got rid of the dipping belt, the weight bench, and I think that is about it. I might be forgetting something.

My body/back doesn't allow me to do weights anymore. Hence why calisthenics and mostly Yoga, specifically Ashtanga.
Dr Sara Salomon <---more than just a pretty face. She is smart and has a lot of insight and yes I admit it, easy on the eyes. :mozilla_cool:

User avatar
Arkann
Posts: 2340
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: Hanging Gymnastic Rings

Postby Arkann » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:06 pm

speedy wrote:
Arkann wrote:
speedy wrote:Going back to ring training and remembered this post. I went nuts and got a Rogue S-3 rack and love it!

Please don't say you use it for rings only :mozilla_sealed:


Well I also use the bar but I can't do weights anymore. I sold 98% of the stuff. Just kept the rack and the weights I use to stabilize it. I got rid of the matador for I only use fix dipping bars when going weighted which I can't do anymore. I got rid of the neutral pull-up bars again for weighted. Go rid of all the weights except the Olympic ones that I use to stabilize the rack. I got rid of the dipping belt, the weight bench, and I think that is about it. I might be forgetting something.

My body/back doesn't allow me to do weights anymore. Hence why calisthenics and mostly Yoga, specifically Ashtanga.


Sorry to hear that.. Anyways, I have been thinking lately that I might go this road at some point in the future. It all depends on how things are going with my life. But I can see myself doing strictly BW plus yoga/taichi as i get older.. But who knows..

pathfighter
Posts: 2330
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Hanging Gymnastic Rings

Postby pathfighter » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:24 pm

Interestingly enough, I am about to resume squatting after many years without. Rather than back squats, however, I will be focusing on front squats.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

User avatar
Arkann
Posts: 2340
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: Hanging Gymnastic Rings

Postby Arkann » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:48 pm

pathfighter wrote:Interestingly enough, I am about to resume squatting after many years without. Rather than back squats, however, I will be focusing on front squats.

Awesome! And I’m all about safety squat bar.. good luck!!


Return to “Training Equipment”


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users