Heaby Duty PowerTwister

If you build it, they will come...
Snaplight

Heaby Duty PowerTwister

Postby Snaplight » Fri May 04, 2018 1:24 am

I remember these from my younger years but have come back across them in YT land of late and whilst the poundage of the ones I remember was fairly low ( to appeal I guess to the average demographic ) these ones from the East seem to come in some decent high resistance - the biggest poundage being 80Kgs.

Anyone used one of these heavier versions ? Get a good workout ?

I think like hand grippers these could be a useful item to have for travel purposes.

https://www.ihuniu.com/collections/gym- ... h-66-176lb

https://www.pythongrip.com/

elmatador

Re: Heaby Duty PowerTwister

Postby elmatador » Sun May 20, 2018 4:33 pm

Just bought the 80kg power twister. I'll you guys know what I think of it.

elmatador

Postby elmatador » Wed May 23, 2018 3:48 pm

I can't do it on my first attempt. But I am bit tired . We'll see. Very strong guy above.

Edit I can close it - by cheating to get it going- very hard. I have the 80kg advertised above from Amazon.

speedy

Postby speedy » Thu May 24, 2018 12:16 pm

I am 44 and this thing brings me to my childhood. Took years before I could bend it, and even then I took a few wacks to the mouth.

Thanks for the memories.
Hardcase wrote:...I no longer care about being on this site so i'm not bothered by final suggestions and any of that nonsense. ...I won't be back posting here again.

Actions speak louder than words.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71997&start=30

Snaplight

Postby Snaplight » Sat May 26, 2018 10:10 am

elmatador wrote:I can't do it on my first attempt. But I am bit tired . We'll see. Very strong guy above.

Edit I can close it - by cheating to get it going- very hard. I have the 80kg advertised above from Amazon.

I would like to know how you get on with it and if you think its an effective bit of kit.

What exercises do you think its most practical for? I was wondering if it would be good for the reverse motion ie bringing the arms up in a supinated fashion to work the upper chest? could be useful for road warriors.

elmatador

Postby elmatador » Sat May 26, 2018 10:26 am

It's definitely well-made and super hard (much like a bull worker is hard to close) . It would all depend on how strong you are. I can't bench much right now maybe 120kg and I can close it by cheating. I have reasonably strong forearms and wrists. You would have to quite strong to be repping this though . I would say a 400lb bencher or something might use it easily with some practise .
Even the lighter ones like you might pick up in Aldi or Lidl are quite good for getting a pump if you do it for higher reps. I might get the 60kg and build up to the 80kg like that. That said they are £40 each, so I may just keep cheat close it. I would recommend nail bending (re isometrics) for a similar motion. It may work a little like a dynamic isometric protocol.

You could use in reverse fashion as you suggest but it is much much harder. It also allows you to get more out of the lighter ones too.

elmatador

Postby elmatador » Sat May 26, 2018 10:37 am

Jut saw the python link. I might look at getting some of those ones too. If they are not too pricey. Perhaps once I have built a base of strength with the one i have. Where did you find the links. I used to do some bending with fat bastard stock- but the shipping is expensive.

Snaplight

Postby Snaplight » Sun May 27, 2018 7:08 am

elmatador wrote:Jut saw the python link. I might look at getting some of those ones too. If they are not too pricey. Perhaps once I have built a base of strength with the one i have. Where did you find the links. I used to do some bending with fat bastard stock- but the shipping is expensive.

I was just trawling Youtube I think looking for old school cable exercises. I'd like to have abit of kit which packs away small , provides some decent stimulation and is reasonably inexpensive. It kinda ticked those boxes.

I do think with these things that its worth backing off the poundages and building the reps up under tension on the concentric and eccentric phase.

elmatador

Postby elmatador » Sun May 27, 2018 4:27 pm

Well I agree with you that you use them to build strength by maximising time under tension, I think just adapting to the tool will help a lot.
I have built most of any strength I have with high pulls. It seems to carryover. I use them mainly for testing my strength. But that may change now I have taken the lighter ones out of sports cupboard. I would love to get back into bending .
I wouldn't limit yourself to powertwisters. I would do lots of big multi-compound exercises like the squat , deadlift , bench , over head presses. or equivalent bw exercises. Chest expanders and bullworkers and small stock , grippers pack nicely too.

Snaplight

Postby Snaplight » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:05 am

BUMP

I've purchased one of these now - I was undecided on which KG range to go for and went for 40kg After reading some reviews - I wanted to try a lighter kg one as I have no intention of beating my joints up trying to tackle a question of ego.

I'm finding it interesting but I suspect it maybe very hard on the joints , its certainly adding a unique resistance arc.

Exercise selection is something I'm finding hard to pin down in terms of what does what so roll with me here and add in where you like:-

Movement 1

Hands in front of chest with an overhand grip bending the bar ends towards the ground to create a " n " shape.

Muscles suggested:- Chest ( Inner , Lower ) , Lats , Serratus(?)

Movement 2

Hands in front of Chest with an Underhand grip bending the bar toward the ceiling to create a " u " shape.

Muscles Suggested:- Chest ( Upper Clavical head , Inner) , Deltoids ( More Lateral head ?) , Traps

Movement 3

Bar behind the head , Hands facing forward/up , bending the bar so the handles start behind the head but at full ROM hands are to front of head near Temple. More a 'Pec Deck' type movement.

Thoughts on the above or others?

Muscles Used: Chest ( Inner Pectoral ) , Deltoids ( Anterior )

Elmatador - Interested in your thoughts and experience with this - I see the heavy weight twister as potentially a decent mas builder - something along the lines of Dips for the upper body.

Return to “Training Equipment”