Training Mask

If you build it, they will come...
Avraham

Training Mask

Postby Avraham » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:49 am

Does anyone use a training mask?

There are severaI versions out there. I have the AItitude Training Mask 2.0. This product cIaims to simuIate high-aItitude training, but I aIready know it does not do this, as it does not reduce the oxygen content of the air as high-aItitudes do. It does however, reduce the amount of oxygen your Iungs puII in everytime you breathe, thus making you breathe harder when training, thus -supposedIy- working harder, thus improving VO2 and such.

Everywhere you Iook there are "scientific" and "cIinicaI" studies for and against training masks.

Bas Rutten, MMA Iegend, has his own version. He cIaims that a simiIar version heIped him overcome asthma.

I, personaIIy, have used a mask for a IittIe whiIe now. I, however, use it based on a Russian study I read in depth. The study advised that masks Iike this shouId be used whiIe training, but taken off whiIe resting between sets. The study aIso suggested the mask be used in HIIT type training, strength training, etc, but not endurance training. I have foIIowed these guideIines and seen improvements, but it is too earIy to teII if it has been pIacebo or normaI improvements that I wouId have seen with no mask.
If you see me coming for you, be at peace - the struggle of life will soon be over for you.

Avraham

Re: Training Mask

Postby Avraham » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:01 am

.......and I just saw the other post about this.
If you see me coming for you, be at peace - the struggle of life will soon be over for you.

pathfighter

Re: Training Mask

Postby pathfighter » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:32 pm

It comes up a lot because it's really tempting.

There are two methods of hypoxic exposure that have some evidence behind them. One is normobaric hypoxia, and the other is hypobaric hypoxia. Hypobaric is exacty like training at altidude, and therefore you're exposed to the same oxygen concentration, but with the lower partial pressure of oxygen you'd experience in altitude. It's expensive, though, because it requires a hypobaric chamber. Either that, or you have to actually go to altitude. The longer you can be exposed, the better.

In normobaric hypoxia, you reduce the concentration of oxygen in normal pressure air. This is where you get things like low oxygen tents or low oxygen rooms. There is less evidence for this, but what's out there is still promising in that it shows adaptations that are similar to those gained at altitude. This is what most people at sea level can afford do. Some athletes have home setups, but we're still talking thousands of dollars. In some parts of the world, you can rent oxygen tents in the run-up to an event.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Return to “Training Equipment”