heavy weghted dips ok from parralettes?..

If you build it, they will come...
ThroughTheThorns

heavy weghted dips ok from parralettes?..

Postby ThroughTheThorns » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:11 pm

I am in need of a new dip station for weighted dips, the one I currently own I got cheap from amazon and the bar in the middle that connects the two seperate parts of the tower get in the way of 20kg plates (approx 45ibs) when I use a dip belt, I cannot perform heavy dips using loads of between 60-85kg without the plates bouncing against the bar.

The Tower is around 107cm high and the bar in the middle is 42 cm off the ground, meanwhile the handles only stick out by 1 foot so its impossible to not bounce a couple of 45's against the tower when performing weighted dips. I am lucky my plates are rubber coated so I dont get an awful metal clank every time, but I definately cannot try to perform the exercise like this anymore.

I am looking at getting an affordable but better dip station and am thinking of trying parralletes, specifically these ones - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lebert-Equaliz ... arralletes

in theory they seem high enough for when you are in the lowest position of the exercise (elbows at 90), and I get away with the middle bar issue entirely, plus it can then be used for other exercises. Am I onto a good idea here?.. some of the dip towers on amazon can only hold up tp 150kg (330ibs) meanwhile this is rated at 400ibs. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

ThroughTheThorns

Re: heavy weghted dips ok from parralettes?..

Postby ThroughTheThorns » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:23 pm

Over 100 views and no replies?.. :confusion-questionmarks:

yikes..

I am bumping this in the hope I can get a reasonable answer. I personally have never seen someone doing heavy weighted dips frm parralletes and would like some advice guys..

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:05 pm

I held off on replying, as I have no personal experience using them. I have parallel bars made from 1.5 inch steel pipe in a wood frame. But since you asked, here's my thoughts.

There are a few YouTube videos of guys doing weighted dips on tall parallettes, and it seems to work fairly well. I would be somewhat cautious about lateral stability - one video I watched showed one of the bars tipping sideways a little at the end - but that seems like the only potential issue. Everything I saw regarding that Lebert set was positive other than the cost. They look to be quite well-made and solid, and I have no doubt that the weight rating is a conservative one. The reviews on Amazon are also quite good. If you are okay with the price and you won't exceed 400 pounds, they should serve your purpose just fine. Go for it!

BTW, don't overthink it too much. Just because you haven't seen anyone else do something doesn't make it questionable. If you're sure it's safe and it suits your needs, adapt it to your use and don't worry about what anyone else does. I have a barn filled with a weird combination of purchased, scavenged, natural, and DIY gear for traditional weight training, strongman, calisthenics, Parkour, Scottish highland games, etc. Although most people think my training is bizarre, I enjoy myself and am seeing fairly good results in strength, athleticism, and body composition. I could do more traditional training with more standard equipment, but that's just not my style. Figure out what you want to do, get (or build) what you need to do that, and get after it.

I hope that helps, and I wish you the best with your training.
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:18 pm

It should work, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Do you have somewhere you can hang gymnastics rings? If so, then save your money and buy some gymnastics rings instead. You can do so much more with a set of those than almost any other tool.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

speedy

Postby speedy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:34 pm

pathfighter wrote:It should work, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Do you have somewhere you can hang gymnastics rings? If so, then save your money and buy some gymnastics rings instead. You can do so much more with a set of those than almost any other tool.

My sentiments exactly. I was iffy about the height on those things so I Google Lebert Equalizer Bars and went to images. They aren't very high and that thing just doesn't look very well made. I agree, Olympic rings; people are selling them really cheap these days on Amazon. I got mine there and they work great.
Hardcase wrote:...I no longer care about being on this site so i'm not bothered by final suggestions and any of that nonsense. ...I won't be back posting here again.

Actions speak louder than words.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71997&start=30

ThroughTheThorns

Postby ThroughTheThorns » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 pm

pathfighter wrote:It should work, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

First as always thanks for the replies guys.

I do have gymnastic rings, they are not practical for me for indoor training but I have them. I like to pull them out once in a while to stave of boredome but for indoor strength work there is no way I have overhead clearance for dips.

I want to perform heavy weighted dips and safely be able to go to 180-200ibs.. I have no doubt also that the parraletes would hold but perhaps with this kind of weight I would end up pushing them away at the sides.. lil sketchy. Would be more bang for my buck otherwise and perhaps save space.

I have considered the height of them.. if im going heavy on dips once a week obviously im using 40ib plates..

I might have to just buy them and try it.

Return to “Training Equipment”