Finally made a T-handle.

If you build it, they will come...
Primate

Finally made a T-handle.

Postby Primate » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:39 am

I haven't posted here regularly in a very long time, but I thought I had to come back and share this.

I finally made myself a T-handle. Every now and then the idea would pop up to do it again, but for whatever reason I'd run into a real or imagined roadblock and put it the idea aside. The 2 or 3 times I actually went out to get the materials in that time the hardware store just didn't have any stock, or were missing a specific piece, or the wrong diameter, etc. Today I literally walked straight into a shelf full of galvanized steel pipe nipples and flanges, so I dumped all the parts in my trolley and spent the $28.

To give you and idea of the value, this holds as much as 40kg of weight with the plates I've got (could hold probably fit as much as 80kg if I used 10kg plates). For a 40kg kettlebell I'd be looking at around $120, not including delivery. For an adjustable kettlebell I'd be looking, insanely, at ~$220.

Simplest and one of the cheapest things I've ever made.

ato

Re: Finally made a T-handle.

Postby ato » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:44 pm

Nice! The thing I regret about my DIY T-handle is the width of the handle- way wider than any kettlebell. You may want to take a hacksaw to yours, or get shorter nipples.
KeyboardWarrior wrote: Little girls in china can lift more weight than you do. What's your excuse?

Primate

Postby Primate » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:44 pm

ato wrote:Nice! The thing I regret about my DIY T-handle is the width of the handle- way wider than any kettlebell. You may want to take a hacksaw to yours, or get shorter nipples.

Yeah I noticed that pretty quickly. I got 150mm nipples for the handles, the only other option was 100mm. Considering it's only a few $ and a matter of seconds to swap them over I'll probably get some 100mm ones to try out.

Faust

Postby Faust » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:58 pm

That is what I thought seeing your pics. Those long handles are a PITA when swinging. I still remember my first swings with a DIY handle for the pain in my upper legs where the metal hit. Every time. Get the short ones and don't worry about gpip length. You'll adjust very quickly.
Very good piece of equipment!
Read Nietzsche

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:45 pm

I concur regarding handle length. Mine has 4 inch (approximately 101mm) nipples for the handles, which my hands barely fit on, with my index fingers against the T in the middle. That width is comfortable and allows for a natural swing without the need to bow my legs. And, if I do occasionally hit my legs, it's the outside of my hands instead of steel pipe that makes contact.

Ever since I made my T-handle I have had no desire to purchase any kettlebells, for the same reasons mentioned (cost, versatility, and simplicity). It would be difficult or impossible to do one-handed swings or snatches, but I have no interest in doing that anyway. All my T-handle work consists of standard two-handed swings, either high-rep metabolic work or low-rep heavy swings for strength. For those uses the T-handle works perfectly. Definitely shorten the handles, and have fun using it!
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

Primate

Postby Primate » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:30 am

I've used it a couple of times now. I'm definitely going to get the shorter handles. To avoid hitting my legs I basically have to have my feet sumo width apart.

The wider handles will come in useful for doing ukranian deads or similar.

Waffles

Postby Waffles » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:36 pm

I have a question for you guys. Does a T-handle swings feel similar to swinging a kettle bell?

Primate

Postby Primate » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Waffles wrote:I have a question for you guys. Does a T-handle swings feel similar to swinging a kettle bell?

Similar enough.

Waffles

Postby Waffles » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Cool, ty for the reply. I'm kind of tempted in buying a plateau buster from Strongergrip.com, however it's $150. :doh:

Primate

Postby Primate » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:30 pm

Waffles wrote:Cool, ty for the reply. I'm kind of tempted in buying a plateau buster from Strongergrip.com, however it's $150. :doh:

Dude, you can make one in less than two minutes for literally one fifth of that price.

Return to “Training Equipment”