Bosu balance trainer alternative?

If you build it, they will come...
Big Jazz

Bosu balance trainer alternative?

Postby Big Jazz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:17 am

Does anybody know a proven budget, or "home made" alternative to the Bosu balance trainer (it's like a gym ball cut in half)?

Here's a link: http://www.physicalcompany.co.uk/products/product_detail.asp?productId=BOSUR

Or if anyone can think outside the box, so to speak, and suggest something else that does the same job?

Thanks!
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

speedy

Re: Bosu balance trainer alternative?

Postby speedy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:38 am

What would help is tell us what exactly what you want to work on and why?
Dr Sara Salomon <---more than just a pretty face. She is smart and has a lot of insight and yes I admit it, easy on the eyes. :mozilla_cool:

BSW

Postby BSW » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:21 pm

Take up skateboarding, more fun and develops balance ;)

But a bosu really is rather cheap isn't it?
First half marathon, off road, July 7 2012
Bench 335, Dead 540, Squat 425 = 1280
48 years old

Big Jazz

Postby Big Jazz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:41 pm

Speedy - I want to mainly use it to really challenge internal core, as well as to help with my ankles (football injuries).

I've been using my friends one for a while, and I love it. But I need to get something of my own now. I've gone from doing a Muay Thai regiment of core exercises (500 sit ups, 100 medicine ball slams to the gut, 100 pushed leg raises, etc...) to a whimpering mess after 10 seconds of doing some exercises on the Bosu - it really kicked my arse!

BSW - I get the feeling skateboarding might kill me :) In respect of what it is, the Bosu may be good value for money; but in absolute terms, from my point of view, it's expensive.
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

speedy

Postby speedy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:47 pm

I want to mainly use it to really challenge internal core, as well as to help with my ankles (football injuries).

IMHO there are much better ways than using balancing techniques. So many core exercises that require next to no equipment. However, if you are stuck on the whole balancing thing, after being on that thing myself I have to say it will get really easy really quick, so if you really want to focus on balancing using a piece of equipment, I would consider this:

http://www.indoboard.com/

Using the Indo Board Balance Trainer for fun or as a serious workout helps the rider develop balance, coordination, and increased leg strength, while enhancing all important core fitness. Indo Board helps improve motor skills, making the Indo Board a great cross training tool for a variety of sports, from extreme board sports to all mainstream sports that require agility and innate balance coordination.
Dr Sara Salomon <---more than just a pretty face. She is smart and has a lot of insight and yes I admit it, easy on the eyes. :mozilla_cool:

aptdwler

Postby aptdwler » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:28 pm

I have a few other ideas here:

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/b ... aining.htm

I don't really think it is possible to make a bosu. I though of various was, but I have doubts any would work.

I trick I did learn for the regular balls is to add a pound or so of silica sand before the air. This will keep them in place and prevent them rolling all over the place.

Big Jazz

Postby Big Jazz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:32 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look at the links and make a decision.

Cheers.

Ricaldr

Postby Ricaldr » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:01 pm

You can make one i think.
Cut a center hole out of a 4x8 peice of ply wood. Then lay that over two picknick table benches with a swiss ball under it.
BACK TO RT BY POPULAR DEMAND
The come back:
Past PR Deadlift - 415, Bench - 260, Squat - 300.

Sarcoplasmic

Postby Sarcoplasmic » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:48 am

Big Jazz wrote:I want to mainly use it to really challenge internal core, as well as to help with my ankles (football injuries).

http://www.gibbon-slacklines.com/

speedy

Postby speedy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:22 am

Sarcoplasmic wrote:
Big Jazz wrote:I want to mainly use it to really challenge internal core, as well as to help with my ankles (football injuries).

http://www.gibbon-slacklines.com/

I remember reading an article about this. I personally thought it was kind of wacked, but to each is own I say.

Return to “Training Equipment”