muy thai heavy bags

If you build it, they will come...
gmacheen

muy thai heavy bags

Postby gmacheen » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:48 am

Buying a bag. Considering a Muy Thai (long skinny) Anyone who uses or has tried one would be a big help.
Are these longer heavy bags better for incorporating kicks ?
Or will it limit punching ?
Thanks
Knowledge, intensity, consistency, patience---> progression...

CityWorker

Postby CityWorker » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:43 pm

I have a fairtex banana bag that I filled myself about 2 years ago that ended up weighing about 130#. I highly recommend this bag. Awesome for punching, kicking all heights, knees and elbows too(its some kind of smooth synthetic matl. that doesn't tear up your skin like canvas).

Check this thread if your interested in how to fill 1:http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27092&highlight=#27092
GOOD LUCK!
He who has a strong enough why can bear almost any how.

bigvic

Postby bigvic » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:06 am

I have a 300 pound Thai bag I got for $120.00, because it had a cosmetic blemish on it. This thing is super solid. Great for punches and kicks, elbows, knees, etc.

Some Thai bags I have worked out with were too soft, and did seem to be not so good for hard punching. However most are great for punching and kicking. The Century and Fairtex ones were good. I think the real soft one was an old Ringside one, but I may be mistaken.
The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement.

Shoeless Tom

Postby Shoeless Tom » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:01 pm

I'm in the market to buy a Thai banana bag, 6 ft. What weight should I buy. I've seen bags from 100-150 lb. Any recommendations.

chase

muay thai bag

Postby chase » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:47 pm

I've heard that KO fightgear puts out a good bag. I actually visited Neil, he is a nice guy. Even offered to remove the bag personally from my house if I didn;'t like it.

I am shooting for the 130lb bag my only issue is that it's listed at 13". I would like one that is at least 15". Why? I have no idea....so I am still on the hunt but will probably go with KO.

Can anyone tell me what some differences might be between the 13" to a 15". Is a 13" better for kicks. I don't have a clue so any comments (non-insulting of course) would be great.m

Fairtex is by far the most expensive, and Revgear has a nice sale going on now. Revgear bags are all the same so don't be fooled by the different typoes of bags.

Anyway, I called combat sports they have 15 x 72 bags. i was looking into the leather and wondering if I could fill it to 150lbs. they said no, but I can't imagine why not. Any comments on that one?

Paladin

Postby Paladin » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:38 pm

13" & 15" are pretty close. But the 13" is closer to the size of an opponent's thigh, and the 15" more like a body. The 13" will be a bit more elusive, and require more precise shots, the 15" not as much, and will be more solid.

Personally, I like the bigger and heavier, so it trains you to hit harder and helps builds your balance and powerful penetration, but both are great, and both have their strengths. YMMV . 8)
Blessed be the Lord my rock, Who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle! Psalm 144:1
For those who have hunted armed men, training will never be the same.
Help the children of fallen heroes: Please Donate: http://www.specialops.org/

Shoeless Tom

Postby Shoeless Tom » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:57 am

Thanks for the recommendation for KO. I contacted them and Neil responded quickly; great customer service there. Through our dialogue I decided to go with the 130 lb Thai bag... Thanks again. Tom

chase

muay thai bag

Postby chase » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:29 am

thanks for the info paladin

shoeless tom, let me know how you like the KO bag. I am looking for a bag that is at least 150lb because I weigh about 190.

But KO fightgear bags are so highly recommended and I know theirs is about 130lb.

I'll wait for your response. BTW are u in Jersey?

Paladin

Postby Paladin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:10 am

I bought some focus mitts from KO Fightgear a few years back, and love them. The main guy, Neal? was really good to work with. Felt like dealing with a friend and not just a company. His Thai pads look great, too.

[edit]

I just called Neal and ordered a pair of shins, too. :D
Last edited by Paladin on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessed be the Lord my rock, Who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle! Psalm 144:1
For those who have hunted armed men, training will never be the same.
Help the children of fallen heroes: Please Donate: http://www.specialops.org/

Shoeless Tom

Postby Shoeless Tom » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:23 pm

I'll definitely let you know how it works out. I actually live in Va., but I grew up in Philly and the Jersey area. PS. I also ordered a pair of shin guards.

Return to “Training Equipment”