T bar handle fail

If you build it, they will come...
eddd83

T bar handle fail

Postby eddd83 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:31 pm

So I made a T-bar handle for doing Swings. Except literally in the first workout, the threading on the bottom plate was destroyed. Consequently, the bottom plate slid off along with the weight plates

I'm thinking of getting it welded on next time. Thoughts and suggestions???

RepublicJim

Re: T bar handle fail

Postby RepublicJim » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:24 pm

I can't even imagine the threads failing. What kind of weight were you using, and what material did you use for your T bar? Was the flange tightened down all the way on the pipe threads? If you could post pictures of the damage that would be helpful.

Since I built my T bar I've done many thousands of swings with anywhere from 50 to 75 pounds, and I've done low-rep swings as heavy as 140 pounds, and never had any problem with my equipment. I'm sure there's an upper limit on the weight it will hold without failing, but I seriously doubt that my strength level will ever threaten that limit.

As for next time, I suppose you could use epoxy to secure it in place if you want. Welding it really seems like overkill unless you're using a crazy amount of weight. At the end of the day though, do whatever it takes to give you confidence in the equipment you're using. Good luck with it and keep swinging!
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

bencrush

Re: T bar handle fail

Postby bencrush » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:41 pm

That definitely sounds like a massive flaw in the quality of the threading. I've put together at least a half dozen T-handles for friends over the years and two hand lifted over 400lbs on all of them. None of them felt even close to failing with that weight on them. Two of the guys used theirs for power stairs trainers and kept @ 400lbs on them at all times and did years worth of workouts on them with no failure of the threads. None of the parts I used were high priced or fancy either. Just local hardware stuff with screw-on flange bottom.

Return to “Training Equipment”