Concept2 SkiErg

If you build it, they will come...
Snaplight

Concept2 SkiErg

Postby Snaplight » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:40 am

I know its a bit of a high end investment but I've gotten lots of use and service/return from my Concept 2 Rower and just wonder if anyone has used the Ski Erg?

Good bit of kit?

RepublicJim

Re: Concept2 SkiErg

Postby RepublicJim » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:59 pm

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I can't really imagine "cross-country skiing" without moving my feet. My old-school NordicTrack Excel works great for me and provides that classic steady skiing motion. The SkiErg looks like it would really work the quads and upper body but the movement itself seems unnatural. Also, I think you could basically get the same effect using a lat pulldown with rope by simply including the leg movement. I have a redneck setup in my barn (it consists of a pulley mounted to a rafter, a length of rope with knots strategically located for multiple attachment points, and a carabiner to attach weights) which literally cost me a couple of dollars to assemble, and I could mimic that exercise fairly easily. Not that I have any actual experience with the SkiErg, of course; that's just my reaction based on viewing it in use on their website. Yes, I admit I'm "thrifty". That's probably my Scottish heritage showing. :mozilla_laughing:
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

Snaplight

Postby Snaplight » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:57 am

Thanks for the input Jim , I admit the lack of leg movement seems a little strange but im thinking it in terms of an upper body pullover for the upper body.

Also the lack of leg movement could be off set by alternating leg jumping lunges , basically jumping and changing the front let position mid air.

I also like the fact you can twist the torso and pull down to either side in a fairly transverse plane - if you've watched any of Pat McNamara CST stuff on YT he demonstrates this well , thinking the benefit for ABS would be a bonus.

Like I say I already have a Rower so was thinking of something to compliment it , as the ski erg uses a different motion and muscle group it was getting my interest.

Love to see a photo of your set up if you have time please.

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:23 pm

If finances are a problem then there are some DIY versions that cost a LOT less.

Arkann

Postby Arkann » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:31 pm

If you can want to buy another piece of gear... I’d say get air bike. It is a really good machine. You can use it standalone for sprints and long steady rides and also mix it with anything like burpees, KB work, and even lifts.

Just my 2c..

speedy

Postby speedy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:36 am

I have owned a C2 and an Airdyne. Both are great and both work the entire body. But for me was taking up space and I can get as good as a workout if not better with Burpees and other calisthenics, plus my walks, jump rope, and fairly recently boxing.

But again the equipment is worth the money just make sure it is something you are going to use and not for hanging your laundry.
Dr Sara Salomon <---more than just a pretty face. She is smart and has a lot of insight and yes I admit it, easy on the eyes. :mozilla_cool:

Return to “Training Equipment”