SUV

If you build it, they will come...
RepublicJim

SUV

Postby RepublicJim » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:48 pm

The other day I tried out my Explorer for an improvised workout that was a brutal full-body session. My driveway is relatively flat, about 50 yards longs, and gravel with only a few holes and bumps, so perfect for my use. I pushed the vehicle the length of the driveway, then looped a 1” rope on the hitch and pulled it backwards the other direction. It only took a few “reps” of that to completely wear out my legs, arms, grip, and core.

Pushing was quite a bit easier than pulling, and I occasionally had to slow or completely stop my momentum when pushing in order to maintain maximum effort. Also, the bumps forced me to stop and realign the steering whenever I veered off course. It was especially hard to get moving again while pulling with the rope, and worse when I happened to stop with a tire in a low spot. The gravel limited traction and made me tense up extra hard to transfer force while slipping.

All in all the SUV workout was a primitive but effective session. Hopefully when I do it again (probably about once per month as long as weather allows) I will have an assistant to steer and to apply a little brake anytime I get moving too fast. That simple addition would make it just about perfect. Other than that, I just plan to build up the number of “reps” I can do. Or, if I'm ever able to get a Suburban, I'll have a serious challenge!
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

RepublicJim

Re: SUV

Postby RepublicJim » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:29 pm

I've been doing this roughly once per month again since the snow went away. As my avatar shows, I started up while there were still some piles of compacted snow along the side of the driveway, and I now have an old Jeep Cherokee instead of the Explorer. The Jeep is actually a bit lighter than the Explorer, and I have been unable to convince my wife or daughter to assist, so I have had to simply resort to higher reps and deliberately slowing my steps to increase difficulty. I have also gotten in the habit of doing this (like most of my workouts) barefoot. The gravel was a bit painful at first, but oddly enough I have discovered that I get better traction than I do when wearing shoes, and I have developed fairly tough soles. Yesterday I managed ten full reps without undue discomfort.

So far I have only pushed forward and pulled backwards (the direction I'm facing). Next month I plan to switch things up by pushing it backwards and pulling forwards. I don't know if I will run the rope over my shoulder, wrap it around my waist, or try some other technique. I'll just see what works for me at the time. Since I really can't see doing much more than ten reps, I may also experiment with applying a little more resistance with the e-brake.

This has become one of my favorite dead-simple workouts for both strength and conditioning. I open up my garage door, crank up some bagpipe music on the stereo, then go out in the fresh air and move a heavy object. To add to the fun, yesterday I threw in a finisher of a couple of 30-yard carries with a heavy rock. The push/pull/carry combination really hits the whole body!
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:26 pm

I wish I lived somewhere i could do this without running over several people or getting shot for blocking traffic!

For extra resistance in the Cherokee, have you considered putting the parking break on, maybe only partially engaged?
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Faust

Postby Faust » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:15 pm

RepublicJim wrote:The other day I tried out my Explorer for an improvised workout that was a brutal full-body session.

I like your approach to training and this post intrigues me to go for a long forgotten workout.
Read Nietzsche

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:03 pm

pathfighter wrote:I wish I lived somewhere i could do this without running over several people or getting shot for blocking traffic!

I know what you mean. Back when I lived in Portland that would have been a problem. Probably your only option would be a big, empty parking lot in the evening or on a weekend. Even that would be iffy.
For extra resistance in the Cherokee, have you considered putting the parking break on, maybe only partially engaged?

Yep, that's what I meant by the e-brake. I have not tried it yet, but will probably need to in the next month or two to maintain or increase the level of difficulty.

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:13 pm

Faust wrote:
RepublicJim wrote:The other day I tried out my Explorer for an improvised workout that was a brutal full-body session.

I like your approach to training and this post intrigues me to go for a long forgotten workout.

Thanks! Several of you guys on the forum have been an inspiration to me, along with Ross' articles of course. In today's world of fitness I think far too many people completely miss the benefits of getting outdoors and pushing, pulling, and carrying. Primitive and brutal can often be far more effective than endless isolation lifts in a high-tech, climate-controlled setting.

speedy

Postby speedy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 am

There was a picture or video of Ross pushing his 4-Runner.
Hardcase wrote:...I no longer care about being on this site so i'm not bothered by final suggestions and any of that nonsense. ...I won't be back posting here again.

Actions speak louder than words.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71997&start=30

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:18 pm

speedy wrote:There was a picture or video of Ross pushing his 4-Runner.

Cool! I have not seen that, but I'm not surprised. It definitely fits with his no-nonsense, low-tech style. If you find a link please share.

speedy

Postby speedy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:38 am

Found it.

Oh wait, that isn't Ross. MY BAD!

:dance:
Hardcase wrote:...I no longer care about being on this site so i'm not bothered by final suggestions and any of that nonsense. ...I won't be back posting here again.

Actions speak louder than words.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71997&start=30

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:55 pm

speedy wrote:Oh wait, that isn't Ross. MY BAD! :dance:

Sooo close! Oh well, I guess it will have to do. :mozilla_wink:

Return to “Training Equipment”