Is weight training essential for boxing?

Discuss boxing techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
Shia

Is weight training essential for boxing?

Postby Shia » Mon May 30, 2016 12:01 pm

I start boxing in a month or two after spending years in the gym just for aesthetics reasons. Im getting bored with it and wondering what, if any weightlifting exercises are essential in boxing training?

I enjoy pull ups and doing some shoulder work which i intend to keep doing and I've heard core is very important for boxing so obviously I'll do that. Aside from that, are there any weightlifting exercises that are essential in becoming a better boxer?

strengthunderthebar

Re: Is weight training essential for boxing?

Postby strengthunderthebar » Mon May 30, 2016 5:23 pm

If you are like 20 - 23 and you want to do this professionally then learning to rely on power early on is a bad idea. In addition to that when you apply power your more experience training partners will and thats a losing practice session that could discourage you or injure you out of training.
If you are 35+ and you want to learn then continuing your strength training should be important. In the event you use boxing out side of the gym in a fight you are going to want to cause the most damage in the least amount of time to discourage your opponent from continuing on. To make someone you are fighting with decide it isn't worth fighting anymore gets everyone back to what they were doing before the aggression started. I had a group of attackers who were also fighters. I avoided fighting them until i did. When i did they learned very fast how short a fight with me could be in the event i decided to humor them and engage in a fight. Fighting is a young mans game. If you are a teenager or under 23 then you have potential to earn pay in the future. If you are getting started after 25 i wouldn't set sights much higher then local shows among local gyms where the coaches kinda know each other and keep in touch at events. By age 25 great fighters will have had a as many as 300 amateur bouts and be 5-15 fights into their pro career.
If you aren't striving for greatness or becoming a legend then go to practice, listen to your coaches, listen to your body. Conditioning often stunts muscle gain and can erode it. Adding muscle often stunts conditioning gain and often erodes it.

Whats your name. How old are you? What kind of goals do you have?

dzab

Postby dzab » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:28 am

I wouldn't say weight lifting/strength training is essential to becoming a better boxer. You might find that strength work will give you marginal benefit once you're experienced, but for the first few years at least, you'll never come away from a session thinking "I wish I was stronger". You will, however, come away thinking "I need to improve my skills and conditioning".

That being said, if you enjoy strength work, compound stuff is generally the best, just keep the volume low once you start boxing. I've always liked to do a bit of horizontal pulling as well to balance out the constant pushing due to punching.

Oh, and some direct neck work would be good too!

kingsimba

Postby kingsimba » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:37 am

Bag work is essential to power.

I'd say a strong set of legs (glutes too) / core / lats can take you a long way too. If I went back, I'd focus my attention on developing the whole kinetic chain with movements like power cleans, sandbag slams, etc.

XycromX

Postby XycromX » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:03 am

I have 100% quick twitch muscle fiber and train in boxing all week long I don't compete anymore but I love the sport and the training style. All of my weight training is burst interval training which is excellent for maintaining a lean muscle mass without destroying all my conditioning. When I was competing I did more heavy reps on the bench squatting and curls to name a few but that was to move up in weight class . In Boxing your strength training relies a lot on the size of heavy bag you are using . For some reason this increases strength and doesn't affect size or weight very much . Hope this helps.

Virtual Boxer

Postby Virtual Boxer » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:47 am

Too much muscle will get you tired too quickly in a boxing match and you'll be screwed big time. If you still want to look muscular but also fight, you better work on your elusiveness, your footwork, your precision and your counters/technique. Not everyone can perform like Mike Tyson... but you can try... :mozilla_cool:
Train your boxing with Virtual Boxer - A super effective 3-speed boxing training program - Try the FREEBIES, they're a lot of fun! Also if you’re serious, try the southpaw boxing simulator!

Wrestler

Postby Wrestler » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:11 pm

My boxing coach is against nay kind of weight lifting for fighters excepts calisthenics. His whole thing is being as fast as possible and nor being big.

strengthunderthebar wrote:If you are like 20 - 23 and you want to do this professionally then learning to rely on power early on is a bad idea. In addition to that when you apply power your more experience training partners will and thats a losing practice session that could discourage you or injure you out of training.
If you are 35+ and you want to learn then continuing your strength training should be important. In the event you use boxing out side of the gym in a fight you are going to want to cause the most damage in the least amount of time to discourage your opponent from continuing on. To make someone you are fighting with decide it isn't worth fighting anymore gets everyone back to what they were doing before the aggression started. I had a group of attackers who were also fighters. I avoided fighting them until i did. When i did they learned very fast how short a fight with me could be in the event i decided to humor them and engage in a fight. Fighting is a young mans game. If you are a teenager or under 23 then you have potential to earn pay in the future. If you are getting started after 25 i wouldn't set sights much higher then local shows among local gyms where the coaches kinda know each other and keep in touch at events. By age 25 great fighters will have had a as many as 300 amateur bouts and be 5-15 fights into their pro career.
If you aren't striving for greatness or becoming a legend then go to practice, listen to your coaches, listen to your body. Conditioning often stunts muscle gain and can erode it. Adding muscle often stunts conditioning gain and often erodes it.

Whats your name. How old are you? What kind of goals do you have?

Kmerc

Postby Kmerc » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:47 am

Depends on your goals. The short answer is no. If you were competing on a high level or had other strength/conditioning goals then you might need strength work or resistance training but specific weight training is not a deal breaker.

To quote Marcelo Garcia when asked about his training(strength and conditioning) approach to jiujitsu : "If you want to be good at jiujitsu, just train jiujitsu as much as you can." Until you are properly executing punches and footwork incombination just get out there and box.
Become unpredictable, strike from your subconscious mind, let your moves flow out from your individual essence. Even the most masterful opponent will fall from a strike that has no history or reference, the moves created from your own individual unique essence may suprise even you.

(Insert Name Here)

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:51 pm

Short answer: No

Long Answer: no but it can be very beneficial if applied well and is used as a tool to improve your boxing and does not take away from your "real training". Use it to shore up weaknesses first and then use it to gain an edge. That being said you can do the exact same thing without weights using creative and well thought out body weight exercise mixed with various other implements which is more or less what Ross preaches here. The advantage of weights is nearly everyone is familiar with them and can more readily apply it to their training and requires less education in training with other modalities.
PB's:
100 Burpees: 5:35
1.5 Miles: 7:58
Deadlift: 375lbs @ 165lbs
Bench: 235 @ 165lbs
Squat: 245 @ 165lbs

"Don't think 'do', be doing..."
"Do what you love"

Jamopy

Postby Jamopy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:13 am

As others have, you don't need to do any weight training at all to learn how to box, or to compete as a boxer at any level. Hell, Joe Calzaghe retired undefeated after clearing out two weight classes and becoming undisputed champ of both, and he never used weights throughout his career.

Having said that, as long as it doesn't interfere with your main boxing training then doing weights won't hurt you either. If you like doing weights and want to maintain some aesthetic look that might go if you only do boxing, then by all means carry on. Ultimately the choice is yours.
The ravens circle above our prows
And our chant is the song of the sea.
They hear our oars by a thousand shores
And they know that the North is free.

Return to “Boxing Skills, Strategy, and Training”