free standing heavy bag

Discuss boxing techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
buffguy

free standing heavy bag

Postby buffguy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:27 am

Hi guys i bought a free standing heavybag and its great it weighs over 100 kilograms and i love hitting it. Problem is everytime i hit it harder the base which is full of sand moves and makes a noise that disturbs my neighbour. Its on the floor could you help me what will help with this noise problem? I love hitting the bag and the reason why i got the free standing version was that it wouldnt disturb the neighbours . Im thinking maybey some kind of a carpet would help.... any suggestions? please

speedy

Re: free standing heavy bag

Postby speedy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:49 pm

Get a very thick durable mat.
My log.Speedy Log

jjg0

Postby jjg0 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:11 pm

I have a freestanding bag in my garage and can confirm these things are loud. Not apartment friendly unless you can use a basement or garage. Even then people are going to hear it. What floor and kind of building are you in? Rigging something underneath like carpet or foam would help with the loud slapping noise it makes when it rocks but the vibration is still going to be felt. I find it's the thud/vibration that causes noise complaints more than the slapping noise. If someone is below you it's going to be difficult. You may have to just ask if it's ok for you to practice during certain times of the day.

Virtual Boxer

Postby Virtual Boxer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:55 pm

Get yourself a piece of studio acoustics foam or any small mattress or 4 small square pillows and spread whatever it is on the floor. Above it put a square piece of flat wood. Above it you can put a piece of carpet or something and on all of these you can place the heavy bag. Good luck!
Train your boxing with Virtual Boxer - A super effective 3-speed boxing training program - Try the FREEBIES, they're a lot of fun! Also if you’re serious, try the southpaw boxing simulator!

Doublade

Postby Doublade » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:51 am

Lean it on the wall, the 90 degrees corner. Problem solved

(Insert Name Here)

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:55 pm

I had a basement gym in my last place, I actually mitigated the issue by banging the bag when it's less of an issue, such as when they're not home. I also talked to them and asked them if it was alright to hit the bag at a certain time and assured them it would only last from X o clock to X o clock. One neighbor had a baby and we agreed on a time when it wasn't their child's nap time. After that I never had any issues and it actually improved our relationship with our neighbors.
PB's:
100 Burpees: 5:35
1.5 Miles: 7:58
Deadlift: 375lbs @ 165lbs
Bench: 235 @ 165lbs
Squat: 245 @ 165lbs

"Don't think 'do', be doing..."
"Do what you love"

Return to “Boxing Skills, Strategy, and Training”