Boxing on the outside with short arms?

Discuss boxing techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
Waffles

Boxing on the outside with short arms?

Postby Waffles » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:51 pm

Hi, is it possible to be successful boxing on the outside with short arms? The reason I'm asking is because I have t-rex arms, but I tend to fight more in the mid and outside range.

dzab

Re: Boxing on the outside with short arms?

Postby dzab » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I think it's very possible - but requires great footwork to keep range (and cardio to keep the feet going), and great timing to get your shots off.

I spar a cruiserweight who is much taller and more skilled than me. I know they say shorter guys need to get inside, but he chops me up on the inside. The limited success I have against him, is by LOTS of lateral movement, pot-shotting, and occasionally rushing him with a combination after making him miss.

Waffles

Postby Waffles » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:41 pm

Cool, Now, that's funny, so there is hope for me. :mozilla_tongue:

Thank you dzab for the info.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:16 pm

I was in your situation. By natural temperament, I'm an outside fighter, but my size and reach meant I had trouble connecting. I did the hard thing and learned to be in inside fighter. You wind up eating more damage, but if that's what you gotta do, better start now. Eventually, I got so I enjoyed it, and it was reward enough to be able to punish my opponents.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Waffles

Postby Waffles » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:29 pm

Pathfighter, thank you for the input. Just curious, are there any drills that you recommend for developing skills gear towards being an inside fighting?

Mr. Churro

Postby Mr. Churro » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:19 pm

Double end bag Is good. Make it loose and it can help you work on your head movement which is really important for inside fighters. You can use it to work on your transition from the edge of the pocket to the inside and your exit. One thing that helped me was to spar with guys and not work on any offense, maybe throw a few punches but focus mainly on not getting hit. Another really good sparring method is to get some really rangy fighters and spar them, working only on getting from the outside, past their reach to the inside where you can go to work. Hope this helps.

Waffles

Postby Waffles » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:40 pm

Cool, thank you Mr. Churro for the tips. I'll definitely be practicing more on my inside fighting.

XycromX

Postby XycromX » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:19 am

I I think I might lose my musculus maximus because I am in deed laughing very hard. when I saw the T-Rex comment but seriously I am 6'2" and my arms are that of a man 5'10" I overcame this problem by using the double slip line made from exercise bands and bungee cords fastened in an X .This works the head movement ,footwork and it's really fun to do . Set them at about shoulder height in fight stance and jump in . Work on slipping and pivots while shadow boxing . Within a month or so you will be able to walk in on almost anyone and use that natural short range power , I promise .

Return to “Boxing Skills, Strategy, and Training”