The absolute best boxing book, period.

Discuss boxing techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
Mr. Churro

The absolute best boxing book, period.

Postby Mr. Churro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:11 pm

Hey rosstraining boxers, I just acquired a new piece of boxing literature that I feel is THE BEST, hands down, instructional manual for boxing. It may surprise you how old this manual is. The book I am talking about is the naval aviation manual entitled "Boxing". This manual was commissioned to officers in the navy during ww2 to teach their cadets the valuable skills obtained from the sport of boxing. I saw this book on eBay and decided to snatch it up. To my surprise this book is LIGHT-YEARS, I really mean LIGHT-YEARS, ahead of its time. This manual, from 1945 no-less, talks about HIIT training! In the portion about roadwork it goes on to talk about using intervals instead of steady state.
I quote:
"One method of roadwork is that of "wind sprints". Sprint for a hundred yards and then walk a hundred yards. Start with a quarter mile and gradually increase until a mile can be covered. When sprinting, run with all possible speed."
Wait it gets better:
"Another method is to run the same length of time as is to be boxed, resting one minute between runs. For instance, if preparing for three, two minute rounds, run at top speed for two minutes, then walk a minute. Repeat three times."
WHAT?!? This book from the 40's is talking about the use of interval training vs steady state. It might use more rudimentary language but essentially say do HIIT cardio. I'm only a quarter of the way through but am already impressed by the book. It is geared more towards helping a coach teach his athletes, but it can easily be modified to help train yourself. I bought the original book off of eBay but there is actually a reproduction on Amazon available for purchase. It is exactly the same as the original manual. If you have an interest in boxing or want to learn how to box, this is hands down the best guide I have yet to see. I suggest all boxers, and fitness enthusiasts a-like, add this piece to their collection, it is outstanding!

dzab

Re: The absolute best boxing book, period.

Postby dzab » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:19 pm

Pretty sure Jack Dempsey's book also talks about interval training. My coach (who fought in the 50's) also recommends running intervals on the track - sprint one length, jog the next and repeat for the length of the bout. These old guys knew their stuff - I dunno where the 'steady state running only' school of thought comes from...

Another great book is "Boxing" by Edwin Haislet. Its free to download online and has a lot good old school stuff in it.

Mr. Churro

Postby Mr. Churro » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:07 pm

I haven't read dempsey's book but I'll be sure to add it to my reading list. So far though, this navy book has been the best boxing book I've read. The quality of instruction is extremely high quality. I have also noticed that a lot of old fighters talk about intervals in their cardio as well. It's strange how the steady state cardio has been regarded as "old school" yet from my findings it appears it's actually a relatively new concept. I'll also be sure to check out that rebook you mentioned sounds like a quality read.

strahinja93

Postby strahinja93 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:10 am

Here are few good books on boxing.I don't know if there are English versions available to buy somewhere.
http://www.bookseller.ru/book.php?n=1708
http://www.bookseller.ru/book.php?n=779
http://www.bookseller.ru/book.php?n=1878
"What are the two evil things that people prefer to talk? Someone else's sin and my victory." (Sveti Vladika Nikolaj)
"Great science is to be wise, and great wisdom to be good."(St. Tikhon Zadonsk)

strahinja93

Postby strahinja93 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:11 pm

"What are the two evil things that people prefer to talk? Someone else's sin and my victory." (Sveti Vladika Nikolaj)
"Great science is to be wise, and great wisdom to be good."(St. Tikhon Zadonsk)

Tom Mooney

Postby Tom Mooney » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:19 pm

Some Good Techniques:

Footwork

Stand-up Base
Cross Footwork
Circling
Punches

Jab
Cross
Hook
Uppercut
Blocks, Parries, and Evasive Techniques

Catch
Side Parry
High Front Cover
Low Front Cover
Hook/Side Cover
Shoulder Roll
Slip
Duck
Bob and Weave

Wencor

Postby Wencor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:42 am

dzab wrote:Another great book is "Boxing" by Edwin Haislet. Its free to download online and has a lot good old school stuff in it.

This is a great book!
"Time is for moving forward, not making excuses!"

Jamopy

Postby Jamopy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:25 am

Mate, there's nothing new under the sun. If you can find it there's records of the training done by Tom Cribb, a boxing champ from the early 1800s when there were still no weight classes and gloves weren't used, and he was using quarter mile "sprints" with walking to catch breath in between, all the way back then.

Also just an FYI but the intervals you're describing are aerobic intervals, not HIIT. HIIT is based on very short intervals of rest and recovery, ie classic Tabata intervals of 20 s on, 10 s off.
The ravens circle above our prows
And our chant is the song of the sea.
They hear our oars by a thousand shores
And they know that the North is free.

Return to “Boxing Skills, Strategy, and Training”