Information on Mike Tyson's training schedule.

Discuss boxing techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
Richard1

Information on Mike Tyson's training schedule.

Postby Richard1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:51 pm

I think this information might be useful for some people here, so here it goes. I've done my research and came up with the following information on possible Mike Tyson Training Methods. Below are possible examples. There's no way for me to verify if this information is correct. This is all the information I could find. If anybody can find any other examples, that would be great.

4 AM
Run 3-5 miles.

12 PM
Stretch
10 minutes of shadowboxing
10 minutes of heavy bag
10 rounds of sparring
10 minutes of punch mitts
10 minutes of slip bag or 10 minutes of speed bag
Stretch,
Rest 15-20 mins,
Stretch
Calisthenics (Circuits of a total of 2,000 sit-ups, 500-800 pushups, and 800 dips).
Neck exercises
Finish with 10 minutes of jump rope
Stretch.

That was it, Monday to Friday.

http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/box/custrain.html
Whatever Atlas did with Tyson, it was by D'Amato's methods. For instance, when D'Amato had been with Jose Torres, he had developed a punching instrument known as the Willie Bag, after Willie Pastrano, from whom Torres would win the light heavyweight title. Willie was made of five mattresses wrapped about a frame. On the exterior of the front mattress was a rough-hewn sketch of a man, with his body demarcated by numbers that served as targets for particular punches. #1 was a left hook to the jaw; #2 a right hook to the jaw; #3 a left uppercut; #4 a right uppercut; #5 a left hook to the body; #6 a right hook to the body; #7 a jab to the head; and #8 a jab to the body.

D'Amato had created Willie to encourage his fighters to punch in rapid combination and had made tape recordings, in his voice, of varying sequences of numbers. When the fighter stepped up to Willie, he would respond to his master's voice by delivering the mandated combination punches.

For Tyson, there was also the sand-filled "slip" bag, a teardrop-shaped black bag about the size of a fist that would swing from a length of rope as the fighter stood directly in its path. To avoid being hit, Tyson was taught to move his head from side to side and dip down, the prescriptive maneuvers for avoiding actual punches. Through his work on Willie and the slip bag, and through sparring, Tyson was acquiring the means to activate his power without its backfiring on him.

Workout Routine: 6 Days Per Week Monday - Saturday

· Daily Regime (7 days a week):
4:30 - 5am
3 mile run

· 6am: Take a shower and go back to bed

· 10am Wake up and eat oatmeal

· 12pm:
10 rounds of sparing
Slip Bag – 10min
Speed Bag – 10min
Focus Pads – 10min
Heavy Bag – 10min

· 2pm: Eat another meal (steak and pasta with fruit juice drink)

· 3pm:
More ring work
60 Mins on the exercise bike

· 5pm:
10 Circuits of 200 sit-ups, 50 - 80 dips, 50 press ups (Push ups) and 50 shoulder shrugs
Total of (2000 sit-ups; 500-800 dips; 500 press-ups; 500 shrugs with a 30kg barbell)
10Min of neck workout
10 min jump rope

· 7pm: steak and pasta meal again with fruit juice

· 8pm:
30 minutes on the exercise bike then watch TV and then go to bed.

Richard1

Re: Information on Mike Tyson's training schedule.

Postby Richard1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:11 pm

On how Cus Damato helped him:
People think I was born this way. They dont know what it took to get this way. The training, when you have to do things over and over again until youre sore. Deep in your mind you say, God, I dont want to do this no more, and then you push. I always used to think I was a coward because of the way I felt. Cus was there when I needed himhe was the one. Cus would always explain you should always do things to build your character and make you a better individual. He was different than anyone Id ever met, because principle meant more than anything to him, more than money, more than health, more than his life. He would sacrifice anything for principle, for what he believed was right.

Mike on discipline: 'Without discipline, no matter how good you are, you are nothing! One day, and I might not be around, you're going to meet a tough guy who takes your best shot. He'll keep coming because he's tough. Don't get discouraged. That's when the discipline comes in.

When you get hit thats when youve got to be calm. A professional fighter has to learn how to hit and not get hit, and at the same time be exciting. Thats what professional boxing is about. Youve got to be clever, youve got to be smart, and not get hit, and when youre able to do this, youre a fighter.

Hardcase

Postby Hardcase » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:44 pm

One of the great tragedies of our time what happened to Tyson, i firmly believe at his peak he was the greatest heavyweight the world has ever seen. He had speed, power , incredible mobility, head movement, was extremely difficult to hit and then he got in tow with Don King and it all went wrong.

When he had Cus, Teddy Atlas and later Kevin Rooney and Steve Lott advising and watching over him and his training he was a force of nature. After he split from those guys from what i hear he trained when he wanted if he wanted and there was no-one there to lay down the law and say "no, back to training".

Remember Steve Lott saying on a TV interview that he was angry that they had systematically destroyed someone who would have probably remained unbeaten his whole career and gone on to be a great role model for younger fighters and would have been recognised as the greatest heavyweight in history.

Now we have the face tattoo and all the rest of the nonsense that we've heard since he more or less gave up fighting.

A shame a real shame, if he had stayed with the guys that made him as good as he was it would never have ended the way it did and he would never have lost to a guy like Buster Douglas (no offence to Buster intended) who wasn't remotely in his class as a fighter.

The great American tragedy indeed, i'll always remember Mike at his peak, thrashing Berbick, Spinks, Pinklon Thomas, Larry Holmes and not the pale imitation that he became later on.

puppypilgrim

Postby puppypilgrim » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:21 pm

I read The Fight by Norman Mailer on Ali and Foreman. Then I read The Last Great Fight by Joe Layden on Tyson and Douglas.

Tyson might have been the greatest heavyweight if not for Amato dying and him leaving his original training team. What a shame...

His documentary "Tyson" which came out last year was very interesting.

CROW

Postby CROW » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:40 am

The lost of Damato figure for Tyson was the beginning of his end (I think so). It was because he was badly advised for his "new enviroment".

Hardcase

Postby Hardcase » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:37 pm

He split from the people who really knew him and how to get him in the best shape for a fight and signed on with you know who and that was it game over. No-one there anymore to push/motivate him properly in training and to keep him in hand outside the ring.

I just remember the way he could intimidate opponents and put the fear into them, a lot of them were beaten before the fight started.

calibreeze

Postby calibreeze » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:48 pm

Richard1 wrote:I think this information might be useful for some people here, so here it goes. I've done my research and came up with the following information on possible Mike Tyson Training Methods. Below are possible examples. There's no way for me to verify if this information is correct. This is all the information I could find. If anybody can find any other examples, that would be great.

4 AM
Run 3-5 miles.

12 PM
Stretch
10 minutes of shadowboxing
10 minutes of heavy bag
10 rounds of sparring
10 minutes of punch mitts
10 minutes of slip bag or 10 minutes of speed bag
Stretch,
Rest 15-20 mins,
Stretch
Calisthenics (Circuits of a total of 2,000 sit-ups, 500-800 pushups, and 800 dips).
Neck exercises
Finish with 10 minutes of jump rope
Stretch.

That was it, Monday to Friday.

http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/box/custrain.html
Whatever Atlas did with Tyson, it was by D'Amato's methods. For instance, when D'Amato had been with Jose Torres, he had developed a punching instrument known as the Willie Bag, after Willie Pastrano, from whom Torres would win the light heavyweight title. Willie was made of five mattresses wrapped about a frame. On the exterior of the front mattress was a rough-hewn sketch of a man, with his body demarcated by numbers that served as targets for particular punches. #1 was a left hook to the jaw; #2 a right hook to the jaw; #3 a left uppercut; #4 a right uppercut; #5 a left hook to the body; #6 a right hook to the body; #7 a jab to the head; and #8 a jab to the body.

D'Amato had created Willie to encourage his fighters to punch in rapid combination and had made tape recordings, in his voice, of varying sequences of numbers. When the fighter stepped up to Willie, he would respond to his master's voice by delivering the mandated combination punches.

For Tyson, there was also the sand-filled "slip" bag, a teardrop-shaped black bag about the size of a fist that would swing from a length of rope as the fighter stood directly in its path. To avoid being hit, Tyson was taught to move his head from side to side and dip down, the prescriptive maneuvers for avoiding actual punches. Through his work on Willie and the slip bag, and through sparring, Tyson was acquiring the means to activate his power without its backfiring on him.

Workout Routine: 6 Days Per Week Monday - Saturday

· Daily Regime (7 days a week):
4:30 - 5am
3 mile run

· 6am: Take a shower and go back to bed

· 10am Wake up and eat oatmeal

· 12pm:
10 rounds of sparing
Slip Bag – 10min
Speed Bag – 10min
Focus Pads – 10min
Heavy Bag – 10min

· 2pm: Eat another meal (steak and pasta with fruit juice drink)

· 3pm:
More ring work
60 Mins on the exercise bike

· 5pm:
10 Circuits of 200 sit-ups, 50 - 80 dips, 50 press ups (Push ups) and 50 shoulder shrugs
Total of (2000 sit-ups; 500-800 dips; 500 press-ups; 500 shrugs with a 30kg barbell)
10Min of neck workout
10 min jump rope

· 7pm: steak and pasta meal again with fruit juice

· 8pm:
30 minutes on the exercise bike then watch TV and then go to bed.

:doh: Oh no not this Mike Tyson routine again. This was found to be bogus years ago.

cerberusxpearl

Postby cerberusxpearl » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:38 am

im not sure if this tyson workout is forreal er not. but i think its beside the point. i dont think people should go out to follow tysons workout. granted his training techniques are great and they work wonders, but everyones different. his routine was deigned for him. i myself use many of his training techniques, but i dont follow his routine. incorperate some of his techniques in to benefit u in the ways that u like, but find your own routine that works for u.
"You can get thru anything if you just quit being a wussie" - Christopher Titus

"The only easy day was yesterday"

Goals:
- Clean-n-jerk 150, current:130x1
- Power clean 200, :160x5
- Clean-n-press 135, :105x5
- Snatch 130, :95x3
*BW- 131 as of 10/18/10

Kenny Logger

Postby Kenny Logger » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:53 am

Hardcase wrote:...

Cus D'Amato let Tyson do anything he wanted.. harrass girls, steal, stay out late, abuse his wife etc.

He only cared about creating a heavyweight champion, ignoring basic social skills and such.

Tyson didn't get the skills to survive on his own, he was a mentally unstable black man who got used by Don King, his wife and the girl he accusedly raped.

Weird how 3 white men did Tyson all the good things he had in his life and how most of it got taken away by 3 black people..

One of my favourites.. what is wrong with a face tattoo though?

Return to “Boxing Skills, Strategy, and Training”