please explain floyd mayweathers mit style to a noob

Discuss boxing techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
OB_GYNknobi

please explain floyd mayweathers mit style to a noob

Postby OB_GYNknobi » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:55 pm

it seems to my untrained eye that roger or floyd sr is doing most of the work when catching him on the mits. I know im missing something im just not sure what it is or what i should be looking for

Siphus

Re: please explain floyd mayweathers mit style to a noob

Postby Siphus » Mon May 21, 2018 9:18 am

Don't ask Freddie Roach about it! He calls it "playing boxing" and "pattycake" :mozilla_laughing:

I'm far from an expert, but in a sense I agree. In my opinion, it's more to train muscle memory and pattern recognition and less punching technique. Definitely not training for power, but possibly helps with accuracy, timing and hand eye coordination.

May can get away with it because he's already a great boxer. As a noob I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice training that way. The holder has a job to help reinforce good technique with the proper feedback on the pads, and playing "pattycake" when you can barely throw a proper punch with good body mechanics as it is seems ineffective.

pathfighter

Re: please explain floyd mayweathers mit style to a noob

Postby pathfighter » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:17 pm

There's a lot about boxing that's done because of tradition or a particular trainer's eccentric style. Usually, when you see something aberrant in an effective boxer, it's just a wacko outlier and, like the previous poster said, the fundamentals are otherwise solid.

And a lot of weird shit is done in training that you'd never actually use in a fight.

Take, for example, the typical swooping uppercut right in front of the face that's done in shadowboxing. In actual fighting, it's up and out. Yet, everyone shadow boxes like they're trying to knock a flea off the tip of their nose. Why? Tradition.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Return to “Boxing Skills, Strategy, and Training”