Headgear for sparing or not?

Discuss boxing techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
TianFeng

Headgear for sparing or not?

Postby TianFeng » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:03 am

So it looks like the AIBA has finished its study sand they have concluded that using headgear in competitions increases concussions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2293803/Headgear-boxers-banned-bid-REDUCE-head-injuries.html

What should we take form this is we are not competing? How does this have an effect of what to use for sparing. It was shown, however, that it does reduce superficial injuries like cuts and lacerations. What does everyone think?
Royler Gracie>Pedro Schmall>me

pathfighter

Re: Headgear for sparing or not?

Postby pathfighter » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:14 pm

i've always suspected as much. headgear increases the size of the target, limits your visibility and ability avoid strikes, and is less slippery than a slick human head to more probability of connecting. i've been concussed plenty of time with headgear and without. if i had my druthers, i'd spar without or with only ear protection.

full face gear does help save your nose, though.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:20 pm

I always avoided wearing it to spar, and in MT we never had to wear it apart from for novice fights, and I only did one of those before moving up to amateur/full. I hate the damned things, I feel like they obscure my periphery vision and just feel awkward. Also I can roll/glance punches off of my head much better without them.
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

TianFeng

Postby TianFeng » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:08 pm

I would say I am the opposite. I have sparred with headgear 100% of the time and am definitely in the "false sense of security camp". Without it on I am more cautious but with it on I will be more likely to trade shots. Because of this I am pretty invested in this study and wondering if this should change my approach.
Royler Gracie>Pedro Schmall>me

(Insert Name Here)

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:27 am

Personally im not a fan of headgear for all the same reasons listed by others here. Plus i dont own my own so whenever i have used headgear it was a loaner headgear and stinky and broken down.
PB's:
100 Burpees: 5:35
1.5 Miles: 7:58
Deadlift: 375lbs @ 165lbs
Bench: 235 @ 165lbs
Squat: 245 @ 165lbs

"Don't think 'do', be doing..."
"Do what you love"

Metherlance

Postby Metherlance » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:43 am

I tried headgear but I didn't stick with it. It didn't seem to reduce the impact of hits by all that much and I felt like I was getting hit way more often. I'm surprised it took this long for a study to confirm what took me 10 minutes to figure out though ....
My Protein UK Use referral MP96363 for 5% off.

dzab

Postby dzab » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:24 pm

I always use headgear to spar. Risk of head clashes, nose and eye injuries isn't worth it IMO.

I used to wear competition headgear (open face, limited protection) for sparring and injured my eye - a tear in my corneal epithelium. The scar tissue healed unevenly and re-opens occasionally. Feels like sand in you eye for a few days. Now it's face-bar headgear only.

People complain about lack of visibility with headgear. This is true, but if you start wearing it ALL the time, you get used to it and it becomes normal.

If I was still competing I'd still spar with headgear most of the time, but take it off occasionally to not get the "false sense of security" and to mimic fight conditions more closely.

Return to “Boxing Skills, Strategy, and Training”