Mixed Martial Arts Training Log

Post your workouts
(Insert Name Here)

Mixed Martial Arts Training Log

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:06 pm

A quick bit about me. Used to box off n on for 5 years. Haven't trained for about 4 or 5 years. There's no boxing gym here so I'm taking up MMA at a pretty new gym that started up a block away. I suck at kicks, my Jiu-jitsu is non existent, and wrestling seems like the part of grappling that will come more naturally. Currently I'm laid off so I have a lot of time to train, I've been smoke free for about 3 weeks now, so with quitting smoking and restarting training I'm really making the best of this lay off.

TUESDAY

11:30am-12:30pm
---Unscripted training---
Stretched quick and warmed up jumping rope

The combos I worked on today are:
1-2-right roundhouse
2-1-left roundhouse

I obviously threw more combos but 80% of them included what's listed before, I would add a few punches before or after those combos, whatever made sense and felt natural. I would alternate between shadowboxing and hitting the bag since my shins are little bitches, I went until I formed a bit of a bruise on each shin and called it quits so I can go again tomorrow. It feels like 1-2-RR would be a good initiator and 2-1-LR would be good for interrupting a combo. Also did a bit of push kicks, knees and elbows, not enough to really count though. I also did a quick goof around with the weights and checked my 1 arm do snatch, 70 feels like a good weight to start with. There's a boxing class later today coming up I'll go to.

6:00-7:30pm
---Boxing class---
Partner carries
Partner walking lunges
Partner reverse lunges
Partner leg press (laaaame)
Partner push-ups

2x3 minute rounds body sparring
4x2 minute rounds with a body belt on and just defending or attacking
4x1 minute rounds body sparring keeping 1 foot in the hoop
4x3 minute rounds alternating between jab only and anything goes (1 partner would be allowed to use anything the other would only use the jab)
4x3 minute rounds full sparring

Great sparring, great first day back at it :-)
PB's:
100 Burpees: 5:35
1.5 Miles: 7:58
Deadlift: 375lbs @ 165lbs
Bench: 235 @ 165lbs
Squat: 245 @ 165lbs

"Don't think 'do', be doing..."
"Do what you love"

(Insert Name Here)

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Training Log

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:49 pm

WEDNESDAY
11:30-1:30
---Kickboxing Light Sparring---
Stretched
Jump Rope 10:00
Exercise bike 10:00
5x5:00 rounds kickboxing sparring

Popped my kickboxing cherry today, the guys helped me out with defence and let me check some kicks here n there during the rounds to make it more natural. It was a productive day. Lots of talented young guys to spar with there. Later is Jiu-Jitsu and Mauy thay.

6:00pm-6:30pm
---Wrestling Class---
Worked a few different single leg takedowns

I was late apparently

6:30-7:30pm
---Muay Thai---
Worked only kicks and catches today for the hour

4x:30 neck leans, one each direction
X2

Good practice on my kicks today :-)
PB's:

"Do what you love"

(Insert Name Here)

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:13 pm

THURSDAY
12:00am-2:00pm
---Unscripted Training---
10:00 jump rope (more intense than before, did 10 double unders every 40 rope turns)
Stretching

The combos I worked on today are:
1-2-RR
2-1-LR
LPK-RR

Medicine ball drops on abs:
20 on centre
20 on each side
X3

Worked a bit of Jiu-Jitsu solo with a pool noodle to sub for arms:
Kimura from guard
Guillotine from guard
Failed Kimura to Guillotine from guard

So once again those where the main combos I worked on, I switched it up a bit though. I went without shin pads for a while on the bag but the bruises on my shins made it challenging to throw them properly so I slapped on some shin guards for the remainder. I was about to pack up after that but buddy I sparred with the other day showed up so I was hoping to do some partner drills on something or spar but he wasn't game so I decided to stay and work some jitz in hopes that he'd jump in so I could get some good work in but no go, just turned into a solo session but it's also good to work at my own pace and get some stuff figured out before I go live so it's fine. Boxing class later.

6:00pm-7:30pm
---Boxing Class---
10:00 Jump Rope
Alternated between holding and hitting the pads
1-2-3-6
1-5-3-2-6-4
1-2-3b-4b
1-2-5-2-1-6
X5 RR X5LR
LPK-RR

He decided to mix in some kicks at the end. Before class some of the younger guys where sparring with a young kid (9 yo), it was hilarious especially when the one guy went in the corner and caught him with a big ol haymaker that bounced his head off the wall. We laaaaughed and laaaaughed haha. Then we played a game of soccer in the cage cuz I guess that's the kids reward for doing a certain amount of sparring and that's what he wanted to play, they invited me to play so of course I was down. Had a good game for 10 minutes before class, had fun, got warmed up, was a good time. I'm just a big kid at heart.
PB's:

"Do what you love"

(Insert Name Here)

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:29 pm

FRIDAY
12:05-1:05
---Kickboxing---
5:00 jump rope
5:00 heavybag
Hand pads
3x3:00 technical sparring

So with the pads we worked a bunch of combos, I couldn't possibly remember them all to list. The first few rounds we did just boxing then we put kicks in. He helped me drill some checks a bit as well and taught me how to block a high round house. Note to self I really need to drill the crap out of these new defensive maneuvers and properly visualize when shadowboxing to get these down. I really tried to check as much as I could during the sparring, with a few good victories in that but many failures to either do them at all or properly. Once I can free up my mind from concentrating so hard on these I know I'll be worlds ahead from where I am now. I need to work on:high+low check, standard check, and the sweeping arm motion for a push kick. I think maybe tomorrow that's ALL I'll do and work some partner stuff if someone is willing to throw some kicks at me.
PB's:

"Do what you love"

(Insert Name Here)

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:23 pm

SATURDAY
12:00-1:00pm
---Kick defence---
Checking drill 10:00
45:00 Partner threw a variety of kicks and I'd check them

So with the partner thing sometimes he'd mix in punches or weird hand movements to give me that to watch too but most of the t Me we just did kicks. I adapted the sweeping arm movement for checking a push kick to me keeping my boxing guard up and using my elbows to knock the kick out. Feels so much safer than dropping those hands to sweep it out, it would hurt them more than it'd hurt me and I can follow up lightning fast with my hands. The gym is closed tomorrow but the experienced guys are meeting for a group spar so much for my day off. Oh well. I made it shorter today to keep the gf kinda happy Now, that's funny
PB's:

"Do what you love"

(Insert Name Here)

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:36 pm

SUNDAY
12:00-1:00
---Kickboxing---

Worked check kicks, maybe 10:00
The rest of the time I did pads, kicks mostly

So it snowed last night and me being in BC that means everyone stay at home cuz they're paralyzed by the snow. So yeah...no sparring...boooo, but I decided to get some work in anyways. Gotta work on being lighter on my feet and more fluid.
Last edited by (Insert Name Here) on Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PB's:

"Do what you love"

(Insert Name Here)

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:33 pm

MONDAY
12:00-1:00PM
---Kickboxing---
8:00 jump rope, 10 dbl unders every 30 turns

1 right roundhouse+1 burpee x25
1 left roundhouse+1 burpee x25

6 rounds pads (3 of which was me working on distance with push kicks and defence)

:30 punch out straights
:30 rest (holding bag for partner)
:30 punch out hooks
:30 rest (holding bag)
:30 punch out uppercuts
:30 rest (holding bag)
:30 rest
X2 (first round all speed, second round all power)

Talked about clinches and fooled around with them for a bit after

Stretched

Not much to say today, went pretty good, he showed me a variation on the lead push kick and I also tried to work on some footwork that's pretty damn slick on the inside whenever the opportunity presented itself. Wrestling later

5:15-6:15
---Wrestling---
Today we went over swimming, elbow and wrist control, touched on some variations of the single leg (leg catch with twisting the leg, leg catch and bowl over, single leg and turning) and doubles (duck hunt and arm drag doubles). Also drilled some footwork. Good class, especially since it was just me there :mozilla_smile:
PB's:

"Do what you love"

(Insert Name Here)

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:55 pm

TUESDAY
12:00-1:00PM
---Boxing---
10:00 jump rope (30 turns then 10 dbl unders)
Stretched
5 rounds heavybag

Wasn't really feeling it today, I might not go to boxing class tonight. I haven't taken a day off yet since I started so that could be why. Anyways, I was thinking I'd make a list of things to work on every day I'm at the gym for my afternoon workout. Drill checks, takedown footwork, cutting the corner (Shanon style) and flow. Today I spent most of the time working on cutting the corner and getting in and switching sides on the inside.
PB's:

"Do what you love"

(Insert Name Here)

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:43 pm

WEDNESDAY
12:00-1:00
---Kickboxing---
8:00 jump rope
Stretched

3 rounds hand pads
2 rounds Thai pads
5 rounds light sparring

Yeah, its definitely coming together nicely. I worked on cutting the corner during sparring but it's definitely harder when the guy has arms (was practicing on bob or the heavybag before) haha. I think the footwork might be a bit off and I may have to go with the longer version of cutting the corner for myself because I'm a bit too close and the guy I'm trying to emulate is much shorter. Had some success though, I'll take another crack at it next time I spar and see if I can make this footwork work for me with a tweak. On another note, when I just go with what seems right it goes very nicely, however as far as boxing is concerned I'm much more experienced than the guy I was sparring but with kickboxing he's more experienced so yeah. My boxing exp still outweighs his kickboxing though. I need another guy my size with a few years kickboxing exp to spar with, that'd be nice.

5:00-6:15
---Wrestling---
Did some tumbling
Worked double leg takedowns
Worked a single leg takedown
Worked on sprawls

I actually sparred with a lil guy who's quite good before wrestling for...however long, he's quite good so I got my wish. I just kinda go easier tho cuz he's probably 30-40lbs lighter and when I go lighter I'm not as quick which doesn't do me any favours cuz he's quick haha I just have to strike that balance.

6:15-8:00
---Kickboxing---
5:00 right roundhouse
5:00 left roundhouse
5:00 check right round, counter with left round, guy getting kicked would catch it
5:00 check left round, counter with right round, guy getting kicked would catch it
3 rounds sparring (not sure how long)

Sparred two experienced guys and one inexperienced. Wow getting leg kicked full on sucks, he kicked me harder cuz I had hit him a bit harder accidentally. Gotta get that defence down. My friggin hands flip around automatically and block shit and parry n do it all without me really thinking but kicks I just think too slow, it'll come I guess it's just frustrating.
PB's:

"Do what you love"

(Insert Name Here)

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:21 pm

TUESDAY
3:00-5:00pm
---Kickboxing and Weights---
10:00 jump rope
3 rounds heavybag kickboxing with shin pads
3 rounds heavybag kicks only With shin pads
3 rounds heavybag boxing (last 30 secs hard kicks only) no shin pads
3 rounds heavybag kicks only no shin pads

Leg press warm up set (+180lbs)
10 squat jumps
X3 (added 90lbs each time)

5 reps leg press +450lbs
5 reps squat jumps
X2

2 sets 8 reps cable leg adductions
2 sets 8 reps cable leg abductions
2 sets 8 reps explosive leg extensions 70lbs
2 sets 8 reps leg curls 100lbs (I think, can't remember now)
2 sets 15 reps standing single leg calf raises +50lbs

The gym is only going to be open sporadically for the next while, technically they're closed but a few of the guys have keys and will let me know when they're going in. So I decided to beat the crap out of my shins and see how quick the bruising goes away with me icing them. Also my legs will be sore as hell cuz they never get a really good workout ha.
PB's:

"Do what you love"

Return to “Workout Logs”