Dzab's boxing and strength training

Post your workouts
dzab

Dzab's boxing and strength training

Postby dzab » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:45 am

I made some powerlifting goals at the beginning of the year, but for a number of reasons, I've given them up. I will continue to box recreationally and focus on callisthenics for general strength development and aesthetics (yeah I said it!).

Easy day today - did a bunch of mobility drills and stretches (learned at the Steve Maxwell's mobility conditioning seminar), followed by neck strengthening:
1 set of 80 neck curls
1 set of 25 wrestlers bridges
2 sets of front neck plank progression (40 sec isometric)
2 sets of reverse neck plank progression (40 sec isometric)

Neck planks are an awesome exercise to hit all the muscles in the neck, abs and spinal erectors with very little equipment. Very good for posture and thickening the neck - can't recommend them enough!

dzab

Re: Dzab's boxing and strength training

Postby dzab » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:20 am

Busy moving into a new apartment this week, so haven't trained as much as I liked. Today got down to the boxing gym and put in around 10 rounds of sparring - felt okay - some rounds were good, some lacked focus.

dzab

Postby dzab » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:00 pm

Friday 27 - 3x10 dips, 3x9 pullups, 3x3 assisted pistol squats alternating legs, 1x20 one arm shoulder press with stone.

Sat 28 - 10 rounds of boxing and 3 rounds on the heavy bag. Sparring with inexperienced guys so mostly working on footwork and defence. One of the guys was really rangey so practiced getting in close and getting back out.

Sun 29 - 5x9+5 pullups, 5x12 inverted rows on gymnastic rings, 3x3 pistol squats (unassisted!)

Monday 30 - 5x10 rings pushups, 3x8 dips, 3x10 pushups

dzab

Postby dzab » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:48 pm

Just got internet set up at the new apartment so haven't been updating this blog as often as I'd like.

16 April

First boxing session in almost a couple of weeks. Sparred about 8 rounds. Despite the break and feeling unwell for the few days before, I felt quite good. Defence felt tight and didn't really get hit by any big shots.

dzab

Postby dzab » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:56 am

It's been a long while since I updated this, but will try getting back to it...

23/1/16

18 rounds of boxing:
- 12 rounds of sparring. First three against a local pro, the remainder just moving around with an older gentleman and my mate who isn't very experienced yet.
- 2 rounds on heavy bag
- 2 rounds of skipping
- 2 rounds of footwork around the ring

Watched a lecture on industrial farming and animal cruelty in the afternoon. Have decided to cut WAY back on meat for ethical reasons. We'll see how it affects my training and recovery.

24/1/16

Callisthenics session at the park. Been doing HIT training lately - 5 second eccentric, 5 second concentric. Didn't feel 100% but not sure if that was due to not eating meat for the past 2 days, or just because I went to bed late.
- Neutral grip pull-ups - 2 sets to failure
- Dips - 2 sets to failure
- Goblet squats with approx 20 kilo stone x10
- Pistol squats - 5x each leg
- Ring push-ups - 1 set to failure
- Inverted ring rows, super-set with reverse ring flies - 1 set to failure
- Hamstring curls on rigs x12
- Band pulldown x20

dzab

Postby dzab » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:50 pm

26/1/16

Did a full body callisthenics circuit - Pull-ups, dips, goblet squats, ring rows, ring push-ups, ring-hamstring curls, pull-downs with band and deadlifts with band. 1 set to failure on each exercise.

Normally I'd do 2 sets on each exercise, but not eating meat has definitely lowered my energy. I don't count reps any more, but the lower energy didn't reduce reps per set. I just didn't have the energy to do the circuit again. I suspect its because my body isn't used to the sudden decrease in meat consumption. I'll stick it out and see if my energy normalises as I get used to the new diet.

28/1/16

Boxing: Sparred 8 rounds with 30 second breaks. 150 crunches after sparring.

Felt phenomenal at boxing today. I attribute this to not doing the volume of resistance training I would if I was eating meat, and just generally feeling lighter.

29/1/16

4 way neck strengthening circuit.
Back bridges x6.

dzab

Postby dzab » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:37 am

30/1/16

Boxing - Sparred 7 rounds with 30 sec breaks. First 3 rounds with local pro. Really tough rounds for me - he's a cruiser and I'm a small light heavy so he controls his shots, but he really put the pressure on me. Was in survival mode in the last round but was really happy with the spar. Landed a lot more right hands than last week.

3 rounds on the bag. 1 rounds of skipping and one round of shadow boxing.

31/1/16

Pretty sore from sparring yesterday. Callisthenics circuit at the park. 5 second concentric/ 5 second eccentric. One set of each exercise til failure. Pull-ups, dips, goblet squats, ring rows, ring push-ups, goblet squats, reverse ring flies, band pull-down.

dzab

Postby dzab » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:46 pm

2/2/16

4 way neck strengthening circuit

4/2/16

Callisthenics in the park.
Ring rows to failure - 2 sets
Ring push-ups to failure - 2 sets
Stone goblet squats to failure - 2 sets
Ring hamstring curls to failure - 1 set
Band pull-downs to failure - 1 set

dzab

Postby dzab » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:07 pm

6/2/16

Boxing - sparred 9 rounds.

4 way neck circuit.

7/2/16

Callisthenics in the park.
Ring Rows - 2 sets
Goblet squats - 2 sets
Ring push-ups - 2 sets
Ring hamstring curls - 2 sets
Band pull-downs - 1 set
Last edited by dzab on Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dzab

Postby dzab » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:25 pm

9/2/16

Callisthenics in the park:
Towel pull-ups - 2x5
Ring push-ups - 2 sets to failure
Pistol squats - 1 set, 5 each leg
Stiff leg DL with stone - 1 set to failure
Ring rows - 1 set to failure

11/2/16

Boxing: