Tactical Barbell+Rosstraining 50 Day Journal

Post your workouts
shibusa

Tactical Barbell+Rosstraining 50 Day Journal

Postby shibusa » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:39 pm

I got this idea from another forum, and I've been meaning to try this for a while, so here goes.

Basically I'll be running the 50 day plan in Infinite Intensity, but substituting Tactical Barbell's Fighter template in for two strength days. "Fighter" is a simple twice week periodized/progressive program. Periodization has worked very well for me so far, so I'd like to continue with this style of training where max strength is concerned.

My week will look like this:

Day 1 - Front squat/ Bench press (TB Fighter + Minimalist exercise cluster)
Day 2 - GPP + Core
Day 3 - Warrior Challenge
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - Front squat/ Bench
Day 6 - Interval + Core
Day 7 - Rest

My version of II, slightly different, going for the 7 day set-up instead of the 5.

I ran II by the book a few years ago with outstanding results, except for my max strength, which took a bit of a hit after the 50 days. For the past several years I've continued to use individual workouts from II on cardio days, so I'm not totally starting at ground zero. I also picked up a weight vest which I'll try and incorporate in some of the GPP sessions.

As far as strength, I've been running TB's Operator template (3 x week) for max strength for the past year, with excellent results, so now I'm going to put "Fighter" to the test. I have no illusions that I'll get the same quick big strength jumps I got with Operator, seeing as Fighter is only 2 x week, I'm looking more for strength maintenance and slow progression while I focus on conditioning.

I'm thrilled by the idea of this combo, as I have a couple friends running TB Fighter + Crossfit with excellent results, and I feel like I'll be getting the best of both worlds.

I'll be heading into the gym tomorrow to test 1rms for Fighter template, but I'll be starting my actual II training on Saturday.

Little about me, I'm 34 years old, and currently have a pretty physically lax day job. My sessions will take place in the evenings after work, and on the weekend. I've only been training seriously (properly?) for the last 6-7 years. Cardio has always come a little easier than strength for me, and while strength continues to remain important, I have no interest in becoming a power-lifter style athlete. My goal is to be both well conditioned and strong.

shibusa

Re: Tactical Barbell+Rosstraining 50 Day Journal

Postby shibusa » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:25 pm

Tested 1 rep maximums today:

Front squats : 240
Bench: 205

Okay, so I've never front squatted before, and it's significantly lower than my regular back squat! Interesting.

paulio

Postby paulio » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Did you stick with it? inst Front squat and Bench a little underwhelming for a full body? Im curious, because as much as I would love to do dumbell work for strength, my gym has really light DBs (25K max), so Im limited to Barbell work for strength.

shibusa

Postby shibusa » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:16 am

Training's going well so far:

Saturday - Day 1
Front Squat 4 x 5 185lbs
BP 4 x 5 155lbs
3 x 8 chins
75% weights
* Added BW chins to my TB cluster

Yesterday - Day 2
GPP #1

Today - Warrior Challenge
Magic 50, my favourite WC workout.
Had to extend the rest to 90 secs after second round

Thoughts so far:
Just a few days into week 1, so far too early to really comment on anything. Everything feels great, and it's awesome getting back on a structured program! I'll continue to add chins to my TB strength sessions, 3-4 sets of 8-15.

shibusa

Postby shibusa » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:20 am

paulio wrote:Did you stick with it? inst Front squat and Bench a little underwhelming for a full body? Im curious, because as much as I would love to do dumbell work for strength, my gym has really light DBs (25K max), so Im limited to Barbell work for strength.

In this context, a minimalist cluster of SQ/BP is perfect. There's a bit of strength work already included in II, in the warrior challenges and such.

shibusa

Postby shibusa » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:35 pm

Strength Session:

SQ : 185 4 x 5
BP: 155 5 x 5
Chins 3 x 10

75% RM

shibusa

Postby shibusa » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:26 pm

Week 2
Strength Day:

Front SQ 195 4x5
BP 165 4x5

So far so good, everything still on track. I'm really liking the front squat, glad I decided to try it out.

shibusa

Postby shibusa » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:00 am

Aug 9th - GPP#2 (2 series of burpees in this one are killer) / skipped core today

Aug 10th - Warrior Challenge - Fast & Furious (my second favorite WC)
- used kettlebells for the swings (24kg)

Aug 11th - rest day

Today - Strength:
Front squat 195/ 4x5
Bench 165 / 4x5
Chins 3 x 10

Tomorrow's a track day, 400's + 50's
Intervals and the Warrior Challenges are my favorite part of II by far. GPP and core are necessary evils, but def not as enjoyable to me.

shibusa

Postby shibusa » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:17 pm

Interval Day: 400s and 50s

Man, 400s always kick my ass. They never seem to get any easier.

tjwatsoniii

Postby tjwatsoniii » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:45 am

Shibusa,

Thanks for posting this. I am very interested in how it goes for you. Thanks to your comments on my question about adding in some barbell strength training my buddies and I are about to start TB + II as well. We are now working out our programming, but we are thinking of doing the Operator template (3 times a week, MWF) with conditioning and endurance work on THS.

Thanks for the great idea!

Return to “Workout Logs”