...Mr Black...

Post your workouts
Mr Black

...Mr Black...

Postby Mr Black » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 am

Hey guys new to the forums as I may have stated in earlier posts. I thought starting a workout log would be a great way because one I can track my progress easily and two theres no way I can lose this one as opposed to writing stuff down in a book!!!

I don't have any specific goals other than improving my conditioning, decreasing recovery time, making strength gains, and leaning out, I'm at my heaviest weight since playing football, 6' 190lbs. Just really want to see how my body responds at the end of my first mesocycle.

I do strictly jiu jitsu as of right now, don't have time to train stand up anymore at least not right now. But other than performance I've always prided myself in taking excellent care of my body and being in top shape regardless of athletics. I am always open to trying out new workouts/theories/etc. With that said I've done my fair share of workouts and I came across some of Ross' stuff, seen some of the vids, so what the hell why not! Everyone here seems to be pretty positive of their results/gains/etc. I've already planned out a 5 week cycle, 6 days a week broken down like so

1. Max strength + finisher
2. GPP + core
3. Warrior Challenge + mini workout tbd
4. Interval + core
5. Speed/explosive strength + Finisher
6. Core + mini workout
7. REST...and eat...a lot

p.s. prior to starting II I was performing a circuit training program working protagonist/antagonist muscles in supersets interspersed w/ short high intensity cardio.

So let me kill two birds with one stone. Yesterday (monday) workout

barbell clean and jerk 4 x 4 - 160, 170, 175, 180

1 arm dumbbell snatch 4 x 4 - 60, 70, 70, 70

weighted one leg squat - with 30lb db's
- ss -
hamstring curls 4 x 5 - 120 x 5........since doing this I've read on previous post for better alternative to glute ham raises, probably be switching in RDL's from now on at least till I find a way to do GH raises

weighted pu (5)
-ss-
weighted push up (15) 4 sets w/ 25lbs. in my backpack

sledgehammer x 100..........I broke a sweat just thinking about it....took 4:16, had to take a breath at #50.....truthfully I had to run away from the light at the end of the tunnel and back to the hammer!

Tue.
GPP #1
.............................let me check........................yes my heart is still working...........

Core #1
flag x 5..............first 2 reps were great...it was 3,4,5 and all the other sets that gave me problems!

saxton side bends x 6/side..............deceivingly HARD!!!
supermans x 15
russian twists x 16

So far I have to say I am very impressed although its only 2 days in each workout has been incredibly intense and I was sweating buckets each time. I'll try to stay as consistent as possible w/ updates. Questions/comments/etc. are always welcomed!
Last edited by Mr Black on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Black

Postby Mr Black » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:40 pm

wed 3/28/07

warrior challenge - the "there is absolutely nothing magical...not even close to magic" 50

started w/ 40 lb. DB, switch to a 35 for a circuit, then finished up with a 40lb. DB.

15:29..............very very dissapointing! but hey at least I have a baseline to judge myself as well as hold myself accountable too. my time WILL only go down from here on out!

mini - workout

five db curls (30#) + five weighted dips (+20#) + five hammer curls (30#) + five weighted diamond push ups (+20#) x 4 non-stop circuit

finished up with some calves and grip training

3 days in and I'm believin'!

Gary-Leeds

Postby Gary-Leeds » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:53 am

Mr Black wrote:3 days in and I'm believin'!

:Now, that's funny: cool 8) Good Luck with the training....nothing else really to this post other than to say good luck and keep working hard :wink:

TheUnleasHingI.W

Postby TheUnleasHingI.W » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:31 pm

you have a great warrior workout plan 8) the I.W
The Entity:my final moment is coming!

Mr Black

Postby Mr Black » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:52 pm

Thank you very much to both of you it is greatly appreciated, I can't believe how intense & DRAINING these seemingly short (at least that's how it looks on paper) workouts can beat you down!

TheUnleasHingI.W

Postby TheUnleasHingI.W » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:58 pm

I believe where you coming from.I been train for 19 years ,to develop my phyiscal talents. But it paying off at the end now.
The Entity:my final moment is coming!

Mr Black

Postby Mr Black » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:29 am

3/29

Core + Interval

Core
3/4 standing rollouts x 5...i used a wall to stop me about 3/4 the way, I can do maybe 2 or 3 standing rollouts before my form just goes to !@#$. 3/4 is still very challenging though!
V- ups x 15 w/ 10lb med. ball
russian twists x 20 w/ 10lb med. ball
supermans x 12
bicycles x 4

Interval Training

Got off work a little late so couldn't go sprinting. Sooooooooo went to my gym and used the good ol' rowing machine which by the way is a highly UNDERRATED piece of equipment!!! It's like a nice sunday rowing on the lake....except there are no swans...no hot girl sitting across from you to stare at....and your rowing like jaws is chasing you sweating buckets...

4 x 800m, last 100m balls out - 1:15s rest period

4 x 100m, all out w/ 10s rest period

1 x lying motionless, waiting for someone to turn me on my side so I don't swallow my tongue :)

Mr Black

Postby Mr Black » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:01 am

3/30

explosive/speed strength

barbbell snatch 5 x 3 don't remember the weight exactly kept it light enough to focus on explosiveness but enough weight to provide resistance

push press 5 x 3 - 135, 135, 155, 155, 155

explosive pull up - basically did pull ups as explosively as possible, tried to get myself chest height above the bar as much as possible, releasing my grip at the same time. re-gripped the bar on the way down and did the same thing. I did the whole "leave an ace in the hole" method, not going to fatigue 8, 8, 7, 7
- superset-
plyometric push ups

wall sit - but a med ball in between my knees to keep my hips "open" 4 x 60s....well not a full 60s I had to sit up a few times because..........well IT'S HARD!
-superset-
squat jumps 4 x 10....extremely tiring at this point

finisher
dumbbell swings 3 x 15 each arm
had to switch between 35# and 30# dumbbells every once in a while just to finish...............man definitely had some butterfly's in the stomach after the whole workout..................the bad kind!

Mr Black

Postby Mr Black » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:47 pm

flag x 5............when do they get easier?!
saxton side bends x 6
supermans x 15
russian twists x 16

mini workout

shoulder circuit 2 x 5m non stop sets
- side, front, rear

bicep curls 5 x 5
hammer curls 4 x 5

pretty simple, let my body recover tomorrow..........than back it

Mr Black

Postby Mr Black » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:17 pm

:D ................nothing....did absolutely nothing today:)...............max strength tomorrow

Return to “Workout Logs”