Omega 3 6 9

Discuss nutrition and supplementation
London Kay
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:15 am

Omega 3 6 9

Postby London Kay » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi,

I'm a bit confused. You can buy omega 3 on its own or omega 3 6 and 9 together.

What's the difference? Are there benefits of one over the other?

Cheers,

London Kay




not on the rug
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:49 am
Location: nj

Re: Omega 3 6 9

Postby not on the rug » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:05 am

eat seafood a couple times per week and minimize your exposure to rancid fats and seed/veggie oils. omega 3 from plant sources are converted so poorly by the body that you have to take it by the gallon. omega 3 from fish oil is typically processed poorly and stored improperly so you're basically supplementing with rancid oil. quality processed fish oil is outrageously expensive. you're better off sticking to a whole foods approach and spending the money on better quality food

London Kay
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:15 am

Re: Omega 3 6 9

Postby London Kay » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks for your response

TheLaw
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:08 pm

Re: Omega 3 6 9

Postby TheLaw » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:07 pm

I've not heard of this before - what is the source of evidence for this?

not on the rug
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:49 am
Location: nj

Re: Omega 3 6 9

Postby not on the rug » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:16 pm

TheLaw wrote:I've not heard of this before - what is the source of evidence for this?

source of evidence of what? most fish oil being rancid? or plant-based stuff like flax oil being poorly converted in the body?

TheLaw
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:08 pm

Re: Omega 3 6 9

Postby TheLaw » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:26 am

not on the rug wrote:
TheLaw wrote:I've not heard of this before - what is the source of evidence for this?

source of evidence of what? most fish oil being rancid? or plant-based stuff like flax oil being poorly converted in the body?


Evidence that oils such as cod liver oil in capsule form is bad for you.

not on the rug
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:49 am
Location: nj

Re: Omega 3 6 9

Postby not on the rug » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:00 am

Dr Eades:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/unca ... -fish-oil/

Paul Jaminet:
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/06/fi ... -capsules/

More:
http://paleosimplified.com/fish-oil-rancid/

There are a million more articles and studies out there, but this is the basic gist of it.

As for conversion:
http://chriskresser.com/why-fish-stomps ... of-omega-3

The most important paragraph is:
"However, research clearly indicates that the conversion of ALA to EPA and DHA is extremely limited. Less than 5% of ALA gets converted to EPA, and less than 0.5% (one-half of one percent) of ALA is converted to DHA.

A common misconception, especially amongst vegetarians and vegans, is that our need for EPA and DHA can be met by consuming flax oil and other plant sources of ALA. But the conversion numbers above clearly indicate that this isn’t the case."

The moral of the story: Eat Fish

TheLaw
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:08 pm

Re: Omega 3 6 9

Postby TheLaw » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:58 pm

I've read those articles, thanks for posting them and replying Mr Rug.

It seems more to me that the moral of the story is make sure you are getting a decent dose of dha and epa, and make sure that your supplment is not rancid. I followed the md's advice and just cut one of my capsules open, it just tastes of fish. However, it may well be more sensible to get a liquid fish oil supplement rather than capsules, as you get the rancid test done instantly.

In truth, the author's of these articles are bloggers first and foremost, they are not conducting experiments themselves, and their rather excitable article titles means that they cannot be taken as seriously as a peer reviewed journal articles, but none the less I have learned a little from them, and will buy a liquid fish oil supplement next time. Hooray, the internet works!

not on the rug
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:49 am
Location: nj

Re: Omega 3 6 9

Postby not on the rug » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:14 am

yeah, they are bloggers, but Kresser and Eades are both doctors. I have read some published studies on this stuff as well, but just was too lazy to dig that stuff up at the time.

the best reviewed brand of liquid that I've ever come across is Nordic Naturals.
https://www.nordicnaturals.com/

personally, I make sure to eat some wild caught Alaskan salmon or mackerel once a week, some good quality sardines and tuna once or twice a week (from Wild Planet) http://www.wildplanetfoods.com/

I watch my intake of omega 6. I don't eat any seed/vegetable oils, cook with coconut oil and grassfed butter, and don't even heat olive oil. I only use it for dressings. as for meat, I make sure most of it is local and grassfed/pastured.

I prefer to spend my money on quality food instead of taking supplements. if I had more money, i'd buy quality food AND quality supplements

TheLaw
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:08 pm

Re: Omega 3 6 9

Postby TheLaw » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:11 am

not on the rug wrote:yeah, they are bloggers, but Kresser and Eades are both doctors. I have read some published studies on this stuff as well, but just was too lazy to dig that stuff up at the time.

the best reviewed brand of liquid that I've ever come across is Nordic Naturals.
https://www.nordicnaturals.com/

personally, I make sure to eat some wild caught Alaskan salmon or mackerel once a week, some good quality sardines and tuna once or twice a week (from Wild Planet) http://www.wildplanetfoods.com/

I watch my intake of omega 6. I don't eat any seed/vegetable oils, cook with coconut oil and grassfed butter, and don't even heat olive oil. I only use it for dressings. as for meat, I make sure most of it is local and grassfed/pastured.

I prefer to spend my money on quality food instead of taking supplements. if I had more money, i'd buy quality food AND quality supplements


Yes, I think most of us would agree.


Return to “Nutrition and Supplementation”


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users