Green smoothies all hype?

Discuss nutrition and supplementation
ThroughTheThorns

Green smoothies all hype?

Postby ThroughTheThorns » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:28 pm

I have gone back to including green smoothies into my diet, purely for health benefits. I know a lot of what is preached about these homemade drinks is hype but I dont see anything bad with a few cups of spinach thrown in a blender with some other bits and bobs.

Problem is I am reading that including things like oil, seeds, nuts or even supplements slows down the bodys assimilation of the green smoothie in your digestive tract. I personally think this is absolute bollocks considering that everything being so concentrated that I imagine digestion is not a problem anyway?.. take a look at this and tell me what you guys think - http://www.rawfamily.com/news/2012/06/12-06-06.html

Im not one for adding nuts to these drinks but to say flaxseeds would interfere with digestion.. idk, but its got me thinking I should keep my smoothies simple just incase i.e. only greens and fruit.

Another concern of mine is whether they are ok to consume everyday or whether I should really limit them to every other day due to all the talk about oxilatives, I mean I plan on rotating them anyway. Something like this. -

one week - rotate between kale, 1/2 cucumber, 1 pear and a small chunk of ginger,
next day rotate to romaine lettuce, half a bannana, chunk of ginger and 1 pear.

following week - spinach, ginger, 1/2 a cucumber, 1 pear.
Following day 1/2 cup coriander, 1/2/ cup carrot tops, 1 bannana, 1/2 cup of mango and a chunk of ginger.

As you can see these are quite boring recipes.. but it is a reasonable rotation to avoid blending the same greens. I already consume flaxseed and berries with my oats in a morning. I will avoid putting coconut oil in the smoothies along with flax seeds if it does in fact inhibit digestion but idk what to think on that one.. In terms of how I feel I would say there is a mild energy increase but I also find the drinks very relaxed.... almost sedative really... not sure if this is a bad sign... my instincts tell me not to drink these every single day but idk if im worrying over nothing.. I was thinking of adding half a cup of home made almond milk but would like to hear anyone thoughts or experiences with making these drinks as a lot of people report kidney stones and other problems later in life.

Thoughts on green smoothies?.. anyone have some more fool proof recipes?

EDIT: One positive I will add is I feel they are good for clearing up a cold, as well as the digestive tract, but what do I know..

TheLaw

Re: Green smoothies all hype?

Postby TheLaw » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:05 am

Given that you use the word bollocks, I am guessing you are a Brit like me ;-)

I have green smoothies. However, I just use a green powder from a uk supplier with a lot of the various
nutrients in it. Into the smoothie goes the green powder, the red superfood powder, 50 gms of protein
powder, oats, milk, real fruit, all sorts sometimes.

I am inclined to agree with your hunch that adding flax etc. probably doesn't make much difference in terms
of absorption. I think there is a quantifiable difference in absorption between taking a pill and using a powder,
there is evidence I think for that. I don't add flax or anything into my smoothies as it happens but only because
I use an omega 3 6 9 capsule with my lunch.

Anecdotally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If we believed all the bollocks people type about everything
food wise we'd be paralised into not eating anything - paralysis by analysis as Ross says. Crack on old boy,
I am sure you will be fine.

I get all my powders from Myprotein btw in the uk. Not affiliated in anyway.

Kinglee1984

Postby Kinglee1984 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:27 pm

I wouldn't over think it mate, have you tried your recipes yet? Might be rough with that ginger, I have green smoothies quite often, loads of nutrients nice and conveniently, great stuff just get em down if you're fancying them

Hellen

Postby Hellen » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:27 am

If you want to have a list of green smoothies that is various and not feeling boring, you can join a course to learn how to make smoothie. There are 5 steps to make one:
Start with the liquid (milk, yogurt,etc..)
Add an equal amount of greens
Make frozen fruits
Boost and flavor as you desire
Give it a whirl :mozilla_smile:
I also want to share my favorite smoothie repice: Kabocha squash with mango smoothie
You need 1 slice kabocha squash -peeled, seeded, 1/2 tsp cinamon, 1 cup water, 3 oz mango, 1 orange- peeled, 1 tbsp walnuts and 1 cup ice. Blend it together and drink it fresh and cold. Squash provides you low fat and protein but high fiber, vitamins and minerals. This smoothie is good for weight loss. https://wikihomenutrition.com/squash-health-benefits/

Return to “Nutrition and Supplementation”