Recipe Sticky

Discuss nutrition and supplementation
dzab

Re: Recipe Sticky

Postby dzab » Thu May 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Tabouli with Chick Peas (or anything else)

Get a tub of tabouli from the supermarket. (I like this salad as it is not swimming in dressing like the other salads.) Alternatively you could make some, but requires effort.

Drain the water from the can and mix in the peas with taboui.

Cost: Tabouli $6.50 for the jumbo tub
Chick Peas: $1.50 for 600 gram

Healthy, high protein lunch for 2 days :)

venetis

Postby venetis » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:44 am

Simple brownies

Sift together:

2/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp cocoa

In another bowl cream:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup softened butter

Add:

2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence

Mix in dry ingredients
Bake in 180 degree Celsius oven for 30 minutes.
Cool in pan.

memorire

Postby memorire » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:30 am

mujaddarah variation

1.5 cups lentils
2 cups brown rice
at least 4 medium onions (i like more - 6 or so)
all the spices to taste:
black pepper
cardamom
dried/fresh chilies
nutmeg
cinnamon
salt

1. caramelize onions (salt them)
2. cook rice and lentils and add them to the onions
3. add the spices and cook for 1-2 more minutes

thats it. the dish tastes really good, is nutritional and you can make variations on spices to get different tastes (try cumin, curry, turmeric etc.) or maybe add different ingridients - carrots, dried plums, raisins.

jaspalmatharu

Postby jaspalmatharu » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:08 am

ginger chilli chicken with spicy potato wedges

This is one of my favourite meals, doesnt take long to make at all and has good nutritional value aswel. its win win!

You need:

2 chicken breasts
2 meduim sized potatoes
half a bag of spinach
1/3 cup of low fat greek yoghurt
2 cloves of garlic
a small piece of ginger
2 green chillies (vary depending on how much you like)
olive oil
dried red chilli flakes
salt and pepper

Its easy enough to make, but does require a bit of marinading time. Firstly chop up the ginger garlic and chillies and mix them in with the yoghurt in a large bowl. add salt and pepper for seasoning. Clean and wash the chicken breasts and cut them open longways, so you basically open them up to twice their size. Using a small knife, slice little cuts into the chicken breasts. Throw them in the marinade and mix it about a bit so its nicely covered all over. Cover with some clingfilm and put it in the fridge for an hour or so.

Now cut up the potatoes into wedges and boil in water till they begin to get a bit soft.
Drain the water and put the wedges out onto a baking tray. Brush with wedges with some olive oil and sprinkle the chilli flakes over them. Stick that in the oven at a meduim heat and keep checking them until hey are ready. About 20-30 mins usually does it.

While thats cooking away, get out the chicken breasts and heat up a large non stick pan. add a drop of olive oil and throw the chicken on there and let it cook, flip it over when one sides done. In the meantime, lightly cook up some spinach till it ges all floppy.

Now your wedges should be ready, the chicken should be cooked and the spinach is done.

serve and enjoy. simple easy and tasty.
"Damn, you can get paid for kicking ass? Sign me up!" -'Rampage' Jackson

elcipo

Flaxseed protein drink

Postby elcipo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:45 am

Great substitute for whey, I use it as post workout drink.
75 g Flaxseeds
400-500 ml milk (or soy milk as alternative)
1-2 tbsp honey

Grind the flaxseeds in a mixer until they become powder, then simply add it to the milk and mix thoroughly. Its gonna settle eventually, so shake before you drink. Ideal for when bulking up, nutritional value for 0,5 bottle :
600 kcal
26 g protein
22 g carbohydrate
40 g fat
tastes great imo
''The true purpose of karate is the search for truth: three elements are important - physical strength, spirit and heart. Perhaps you could say the aim is to make us good Human Beings.'
- Ohtsuka Hironori
facebook http://www.facebook.com/CiPiAN

WarMonkey

Postby WarMonkey » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Not sure whether there are similar recipes in here or not, but here's a personal favourite stew recipe of mine:

1lb cubed blade steak
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
2 cups beef stock
1 bay leaf
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp basil
Salt and pepper to season

First, slice the onion into slivers. If you slice it nice and thinly, most of the onion will dissolve into the stew. Next, fry up the onion in a frying pan with a little bit of oil until it is brown and soft. Transfer the onion to a crockpot or a slow cooker, and place the beef into the frying pan. Cook the beef until the cubes are just browned. Add them to the crockpot.Here, there's an optional step of adding whatever vegetables you want. I often like adding carrot and potato chunks to the pot here. Next, add the stock to the pot, along with the crushed garlic and herbs. If there is still meat/potato/other vegetables sticking out above the stock, just add more boiling water on top of it. Put the crockpot in the oven with the lid on, on bake at 185 degrees celcius. If you cook it too high, the meat will not be as tender. This stew takes roughly 3-4 hours to cook.
I prefer this stew with less vegetables in it, and served on top of mashed kumara. Yum.
Iron sharpens iron.

Geico31

Postby Geico31 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:27 am

Peanut Butter Banana Protein Shake (Dairy free)

Ingredients:

1 to 1 1/2 cups of almond milk (You can use other types of milk or milk substitutes instead)
2 frozen bananas
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
Optional: Cocoa powder, about 1 to 2 Tablespoons

It's pretty simple, you put all your ingredients into a blender, in whatever fashion suits your blender best. Personally, I use a Vitamix and make sure to go almond milk first, then bananas (I break them up), and the other two. I blend just until all the ingredients have come together. I prefer this shake thick, and from what I can tell, the longer you blend it the thinner it gets. Enjoy!

P.S. I make the almond milk myself by blending 1 cup of almonds, 4 cups of water, and 4 dates or some honey for added sweetness.

Reggae Junkie Jew

Postby Reggae Junkie Jew » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:41 am

Easy Tuna Omelette Thing

1 can tuna
3 eggs
Mustard and mayonnaise 2:1 ratio is what I prefer.

Mix up tuna with mustard and mayonnaise in microwavable container. Add the eggs and mix that up til it's even. Microwave for about 60-90secs. I like to add hotsauce. You can experiment with the amount of eggs you add to achieve different consistencies.

Enjoy.
Keep your excuses to yourself, no one cares -Dave Tate
Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't - Jerry Rice

Toxic Avenger

Postby Toxic Avenger » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:51 pm

Hey guys! (first post, long time browser. Now, that's funny)

Healthy Bagel Pizzas

1 Whole Grain Bagel

A few tablespoons of Homestyle Pizza Sauce (to taste)

A handful of fat free mozzarella cheese (or if you want, the first layer can be fat free cheese and a light top layer of regular mozzarella. Makes the texture/taste better)

Cut the bagel in half, place the sauce on top of the inside portions, place cheese on top and put in a toaster over for 1 or 2 cycles (on toast) until the cheese is melted. What I like to do is take two or three sweet peppers, dice them up and put them on top of the bagels after they are done (I prefer the crunchy texture) and top it with a few dashes of curry powder and/or a little hot sauce. Good stuff! :mozilla_smile:

Enjoy!

iwonbigbro

Postby iwonbigbro » Mon May 28, 2012 11:50 pm

Here is a quick lunch-time recipe using quark, an extremely low fat cream cheese made from skimmed milk, salmon, red onion and sweet potato. Enjoy!

http://iwonbigbro-training.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/nutrition-new-quick-quark-recipe-55g.html

Return to “Nutrition and Supplementation”