mtguy

Re: Recipe Sticky

Postby mtguy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:43 am

Gluten free pancakes

1/2 C Flour (buckwheat or quinoa)
1/2 C milk, soy, almond or hemp milk
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 TBS ground flax seed
1 TBS oil (I use coconut mainly for the taste)
Add ins: banana, sunflower seeds, coco powder, chocolate chips
You might need to add some more milk, almond, soy or hemp milk to help thin it out if its too thick.
Mix everything up and put it on nicely oiled hot skillet on medium heat and cook each side about 3 mins. When its done, I usually like to add peanut butter and maple syrup on top. Great as a post work out meal in the morning. Makes about 6-8 3 inch pancakes.
"The nice thing about being the best is that you can listen to other people's advice without necessarily having to take it."
Co-worker

AbbyTekken

Postby AbbyTekken » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:01 pm

Protein Pancakes!

I've seen other people post Protein Pancakes, so i descided to make my own creation. This recipe makes about 6 regular sized pancakes, and with the oats, you be full and satisfied by 2-4.

-5 Eggs, whole (if you have a proper healthy diet, then the yolk should not be a problem)
-2 scoops protein powder (i used plain because i wanted to add my own flavouring)
-1 cup oats
-1 table spoon of sugar or splenda (optional)
-1 ripe banana

Estimated Nutritional facts (per pancake)
Protein- 16g
Calories- 225
Carbs- 23g
Fat- 9.5g

You will need to add water to get the right consistancy, and so your blender doesnt quit on you. I used about 1/4 cup of water. After you blend it until you can hardly see the oats, throw it in a pan just like any other pancakes.

Tastes very good and doesnt have the same texture of other oats pancakes.

leeroy

Postby leeroy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:36 pm

I'm not vegetarian, but my girlfriend and I like to eat 1-2 vegetarian meals a week. Here are some recipes that we've found to be pretty damn delicious.

Citrus hummus pasta with butter beans and spinach

1 red onion, sliced
Handful of fresh thyme (you can use dried if you need to, but it won't taste as good!)
1 can of butter beans
Some butter
Salt and pepper

One packet dried wholemeal pasta
A bunch of fresh spinach, chopped
2 tablespoons pitted black olives, halved
zest and juice of 1 medium orange
3 tablespoons hummus
small handful fresh basil

1. Cook the pasta.
2. While the pasta is cooking, heat a small amount of butter in a fry pan, and add the red onion and fresh thyme. Cook on moderate heat for 10 minutes until the onion is nice and soft. Turn the heat off, stir in the can of butter beans and season with salt and pepper. Put aside.

3. Blanche the spinach for 1-2 minutes in boiling water, remove and squeeze out excess water.

4. In a bowl, mix the pasta, cooked bean/onion mix, spinach and remaining ingredients together. Serve immediately.

leeroy

Postby leeroy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:41 pm

Brown Rice Vegetable Bake

This is super easy, and very filling.

1 cup brown rice
2 onions, finely sliced
10 large kale/spinach/dark green leaves
5 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 cup grated cheese

1. Cook the brown rice. Leave to cool and let most of the moisture evaporate.
2. While the rice is cooking, brown the onions in oil/butter until soft.
3. Steam the vegetable leaves for 1-2min, then squeeze out excess moisture and chop.
4. Combine all ingredients except tomatoes, and a handful of the cheese. Pour into a casserole dish.
5. Top with the sliced tomatoes, and sprinkle the remainder of the cheese on top.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 375F (190C).

Serve with a crisp green salad, and some tomato relish if you have it.

leeroy

Postby leeroy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:55 pm

The best vegetable lasagna ever

Takes a little while to prepare, so best as a weekend meal. It makes enough for 4-6 people, or a shitload of leftovers if there's only 1-2 of you.

A pack of whole wheat lasagna noodles
~10 mushrooms, halved
2 large eggplants, sliced
2 Red bell peppers, cut into 1" pieces
1 Red onion, cut into 1" pieces
2 tb Balsamic vinegar
1 ts Olive oil
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1/2 ts Dried rosemary, crushed

500g Spaghetti sauce (choose one with natural ingredients, no additives)
250g ricotta cheese
A large bunch of fresh spinach, or box of frozen spinach
1 egg white
1/4 ts Red pepper flakes
1 c Shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 c Grated Parmesan cheese

1. Turn oven on to 375F (190C).

2. Place the sliced egg plant in a colander, sprinkle with one tablespoon of sea salt, and leave to drain for 30 minutes. Rinse the salt off, and pat dry with paper towels.

3. While the egg plant is draining, put the red bell peppers on some foil, and grill until blackened. Take the peppers from the grill, place into a plastic bag and tie closed. After 5 minutes, open the bag. The skin of the peppers should peel off easily, leaving you the smoky sweet flesh.

4. Put the red pepper flesh in an oven tray, along with the red onion, mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Roast in the preheated oven for 20-30min or until soft and fragrant.

5. While the vegetables are roasting, fry the eggplant slices in olive oil in a frypan on moderate heat, set aside.

6. Steam the spinach for 1-2min, squeeze out excess water and chop. Combine the chopped spinach with the ricotta cheese and egg white. Set aside.

7. In a large oven-proof dish, pour in about 1/3 of the spaghetti sauce. Place one layer of lasagna noodles on top. Spread a thin layer of sauce on top of the noodles, then a layer of fried eggplant, then a layer of the spinach-ricotta mixture. Add another layer of lasagna noodles and repeat until the dish is full. Ensure all the lasagna noodles are covered in sauce to ensure proper cooking.

8. Cover lasagna with foil and bake covered for 45min in 375F/190C oven.

9. Remove lasagna from oven, sprinkle parmesan and mozzarella on top and bake uncovered for 5-10 min.

10. Remove lasagna from oven. Leave to stand for 10min before serving.

Not just a clever title. The best vegetable lasagna you'll ever taste.

AbbyTekken

Postby AbbyTekken » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:15 pm

High Calorie bars.

add 3/4 cup peanut butter and 5 egg whites to a bowl, put in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir, another 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until the eggs are all cooked and mixed in. Then add 5 scoops of protein powder(chocolate tastes good) and 1/2 cup milk. mix in. then add as much honey as you can stand(I only add about 4-5 full tbsp) and 2 cups of oats. finnish off with 1 to 2 cups of mixed nuts. put it all in a freezer until its hard. cut it up into however big of pieces you want, I cut mine into six pieces, so it's larger than a normal bar. Very tastey snack with A good amount of everything.

Calories: 650
Carbs: 60
Fat: 37
Protein: 44

DeathOrGlory

Postby DeathOrGlory » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:16 am

this is my "bread and butter"

Post workout protein shake
(sans the protein powder)

1 pound (500 grams) of cottage cheese
half a liter of skimmed milk
3 raw eggs
1tbs olive oil
2tbs honey

Mix it all up in a blender, add milk for optimal density.

Enjoy!
"Pain is temporary, pride is forever"

FeelGood

Postby FeelGood » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:32 am

leeroy wrote:The best vegetable lasagna ever

Wow I have to try this Leeroy but I think you missed when the vegetables (red pepper, red onion, mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, olive oil and balsamic vinegar) go into the final lasagna?

----
I wanted to add this recipe for those who feel they don't have time for a good breakfast, although it can be eaten at any time. I consider it extremely healthy.. unless you add loads of cheese, salt.. or heavily cured/processed meats. It will have the protein from the egg whites and the carbs/vitamins/minerals/fiber from all the vegetables.

Basically its like a baked egg white omelette that can last in your fridge even over a week.

Baked Egg White Omellette for the week.

you cant go wrong with the amounts as long as you have more eggs than other stuff and you like the taste at the end

-Egg whites ~ (12 to however much you want to make) ~ get them into a big ass bowl, whisk or dont (I dont care)

cut up and mix in whatever you want in there that would taste good to you in an omellette... some ideas:
-kale
-spinach
-broccoli
-zucchini
-mushrooms
-parsley
-sweet potatoes/potatoes (not too much)
-flax seed
-lil olive oil

Season that shit. You know salt, pepper..

So now you have the egg whites and veggies mixed and the oven pre-heated to 325 degrees F (Since you read this before starting). Put that mix into an (oiled/buttered/sprayed) baking dish.

The idea is low temperature for a long time until the omelette finally sets. Depends on the size and depth of the thing but it took me 2 hours. Yes that long.. but it will keep for a little over a week. You can heat that up in the microwave or eat cold. Good stuff.

I am still experimenting with perfecting it so if anyone has any ideas let me know. Cooking time might go down if I add some flour.. I might try that or oats...

mtguy

Postby mtguy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:35 pm

Grain/Flour free pancakes

2 very ripe bananas
1 egg
1-2 TBS of almond/peanut/any type of nut butter

Heat a pan over med-low. Mash bananas to where it looks like baby food. Add in egg and mix up very well. Add in nut butter and mix (I added two TBS to make it thicker). Add in butter/oil/coconut oil (I went with butter) to the pan and get good coverage over it. Pour in some of the batter, cook maybe 3-4 minutes a side. Keep an eye on it, it does burn easily. Top with your favorite toppings (try to be healthy though)
"The nice thing about being the best is that you can listen to other people's advice without necessarily having to take it."
Co-worker

memorire

Postby memorire » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Almond Energy Balls

Very simple but really delicious!

200g almonds
5 tbsp honey (vary it to your taste)
chocolate couverture

1. remove skin from almonds
2. make almond butter
3. add honey
4. make balls out of almond butter and honey mixture and cover them in couverture
5. put em in the refrigerator for a couple of hours

You can do lots of variations on this recipe (add raisins etc) but i love just how it is in its pure simplicity! great to take with you too (just dont put your balls in the sun)

Return to “Nutrition and Supplementation”