Recipe Sticky

Discuss nutrition and supplementation
Steffen K

Re: Recipe Sticky

Postby Steffen K » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:31 am

Delicious smoothie recipe

1 banana
1 apple
1 TBSP cocoa powder (no, not that Nesquick stuff, just pure cocoa)
5 - 8 Frozen strawberries
Freshly squeezed orange juice (I used 3 small oranges)
Fresh ginger (optional)

Blend, pour up and enjoy. :mozilla_cool:

JeffPara

Postby JeffPara » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Any amazing picant sauce, great for pan seared chicken or oven roasted porkchops.

Saucepan on med heat, and add olive oil to just encompass the entire pan. Add one chilli diced finely, stir and aloow the olive oil to gather as much of the chilli as possible. Then add a hlaf a medium sized onion, again diced and half a red pepper diced. To neutralize the overpowering heat, add 2 tablespoons of sugar and stir. This will create an awesome heat, with a slight sweet taste.

Add mushrooms thinly sliced, stir again, and a tin of tomatoes, as much as needed, start off adding small amounts, maybe 150mls or so, stir, and get the consistency wanted.

Amazing sauce that can go with chicken or pork, like a salsa for meat so to speak.

Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat May 01, 2010 7:55 pm

FFB Pizza

The dough is the tough part of course. Whether you make it yourself or you buy it pre-made, it's difficult to avoid all those bready carbs. And while I've used whole wheat or whole grain crusts before, I knew this was only slightly better than the regular stuff.

But recently I found something that's not too bad at all. Oh, it's not perfect. But it allows me to have my pizza and my abs at the same time. It's a premade pizza crust that contains nothing but organic brown rice and a little potato.

That's it, two ingredients. It has a crunchy, yet chewy texture that's not quite like thin crust pizza, but damn tasty nonetheless.

It's made my Nature's Hilights and I found it in the freezer section of a higher-end grocery store. About $5 for two small-size crusts.

1) Thaw crust, then bake on a pizza stone in a 500 degree oven for 5 minutes. (You don't have to have a stone. A pizza pan works, preferably perforated.)

2) Take it out and smear on a fine layer of basil or sundried tomato pesto (homemade or store bought -- ingredients should be almost nothing but olive oil and herbs). This is a flavor explosion and my favorite secret ingredient. On top of this add low-sugar pasta sauce. If you're buying it and not making it, I suggest Classico's tomato & basil.

3) Top with fat-free Italian cheese blend and whatever else you want: turkey pepperoni (which is really good), vegetables, and my favorite: avocado.

4) Return to a 425 degree oven to melt the cheese and brown the toppings a bit.

I've been making these all summer and have maintained my summer leanness with ease. (Of course, I do train my ass off 6 days a week.)

With ingredient substitutions, you can easily halve the calories, keep the food volume high and therefore filling, and health up the fats and carbs of just about any food. Do it right and you won't even miss the "real" versions of your favorite cheat foods.

Viva la pizza!

Shugart's No-Belly Sorbet

1 package of Jell-O gelatin, sugar-free
6 oz frozen fruit juice concentrate (Welch's 100% natural)
3 cups of frozen fruit
1 tub sugar-free Cool Whip (8 ounce)
1 cup water

For raspberry sorbet (shown in pic), get frozen raspberries, raspberry-flavored gelatin, and Welch's White Grape Raspberry frozen juice.

Boil a cup of water, then stir in gelatin until dissolved. Add frozen juice (about half a standard can). Refrigerate for about 20 minutes until slightly thickened, then add fork-mashed frozen fruit along with Cool Whip. Whisk, cover, and freeze 4 hours or until solid.

This stuff ain't exactly "low carb" but it's low in calories compared to regular ice cream, plus most of the carbs are just from fruit anyway, so that's no big deal for a summer treat.

Note: You have to use 100% pure frozen fruit juice. Most frozen canned fruit juices are full of high fructose corn syrup and added sugar. Read the ingredient list and shelve it if it adds sugar or contains HFCS.

And here's an option for you: Peach Sorbet.

Simply use frozen peaches, peach-flavored sugar-free gelatin, and Welch's 100% White Grape Peach frozen juice. The rest of the recipe is the same.

The Volumized Cheeseburger
Ingredients:

Extra lean ground turkey
Turkey bacon
1 omega-3 egg
Whole grain, high fiber, as-natural-as-possible hamburger buns
Fat-free Swiss cheese
Olive oil mayo
1 avocado
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
Veggie toppings of choice

Directions:

1. Dump the ground turkey into a bowl and crack the egg into it. Mix well with your hands, then form into patties. Add salt, pepper, or any other herbs and spices you want at this time. I like a little worcestershire sauce.

2. Pop patties on your grill. While they're grilling, mix the olive-oil mayo with a mashed avocado and a finely diced chipotle pepper. (Just play with the amounts here. I use very little mayo.) This is going to become your new favorite burger spread! A food processor will make quick work of this, but you can do it by hand too.

3. Cook the turkey bacon.

4. Pop the buns onto the grill for a few seconds to heat them up and get them slightly crisp, then add the cheese to the patties during their last few minutes of cooking.

5. Assemble burger, add any veggies you want, and enjoy.

Notes:

* All we've done here is substitute lower-calorie ingredients in for higher-calorie choices, mainly through the use of lean turkey instead of beef and pork. Compared to a regular bacon cheeseburger burger we save about half the calories while keeping the volume of food very high. You'll get just as full with about half the cals.

* The egg adds moisture, protein, and good fats. This is the secret to making a good turkey burger. We've also increased the quality of the fats by using olive oil mayo and avocado. The chipotle adds tons of flavor and heat, making you not miss the greasiness of a regular burger.

* I'm not much of a bread fan, but there are a lot of "better bad" choices out there these days including whole grain, zero sugar, and higher fiber hamburger buns. If you're really strict and low-carbin' you can ditch the bread and use leaves of butter lettuce as "buns."

Flax/Protein Bread Recipe

The more you cook, the better you look. So let's cook something that a lot of people -- especially we FFBs -- have had to give up: bread.

Yes, even whole grain bread, Ezekiel bread, and organic bread fertilized with the poo of weight-trained pygmies who survive only on acacia berries has to be avoided or limited for those of us that gain fat easily or have a tough time getting and staying lean.

I enjoy an occasional whole grain, low-carb, high-fiber tortilla, but other than that, the sight of bread makes me lose two rows of abdominals. Until now...

One of our figure athletes, Ezaler, posted a thread about her "zero-carb flax protein bread" that caught my attention. Why did that catch my eye? Because the words "zero-carb" and "bread" are seldom used in the same sentence, except for the one that begins "Ain't no such thing as..."

I've made some modifications and came with a savory and a sweet version. Note the total absence of flour and impactful carbs. Cool, huh? Check 'em out:

Savory Flax & Protein Bread

Ingredients

2 cups milled flax seeds (2093.4kcals)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (I use RealSalt sea salt)

2 whole eggs (I use omega-3 enriched)
3 egg whites
5 tablespoons virgin coconut oil (600)
1/2 cup of hot water

Mix the wet ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients. Then mix both together. (3044 total)

You may want to warm your coconut oil in a hot bath to get it liquid (it's solid when cool). The hot water should keep your oil from returning to a solid when you add it to the egg mixture. Bringing your eggs up to room temp will help too. If it turns solid, no worries, just place your mixing bowl in a sink with hot water and whisk like a madman.

Pour into a loaf pan, a baking dish, or those disposable foil bread pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes.

Sweet Flax & Protein Bread

Same as above but add 3 tablespoons of Splenda or your favorite no or low calorie sweetener. Many have used a scoop of vanilla or chocolate Metabolic Drive with great results (add a smidge more water if needed).

My favorite is to add canned pumpkin (7 ounces or so), a shot of organic vanilla, and several dashes of pumpkin pie spice blend.

The possibilities are endless here: unsweetened cocoa powder, nuts and seeds, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, various protein powder flavors, etc.

Notes:

1) Use whole eggs if you want. The calories will come up a little but there's no reason to fear most saturated fats. In fact, you probably need more for optimal muscle growth.

Or, if you're a diehard egg-whiter, you may use all egg whites. I get the pure whites sold in the carton because I can't standing wasting a yolk. That will drop off some cals, which is fine if that fits your diet goals.

2) Olive oil or flax oil will work if you don't have coconut, but remember, those oils lose some of their healthful properties when exposed to heat. Much better to cook with coconut oil, which is one of those "good" saturated fats that most people are lacking.

Summary & Warning

Almost no carbs, pretty high in protein (for bread), super-high in fiber and good fats.... this stuff rocks. Use the savory for sandwiches and toast. Use the sweet as a dessert, much like my volumized zucchini bread.

And here's your warning: You may be tempted to eat the whole batch in a sitting or two. But remember, that's like 65g of fiber in one or two shots! (Average person gets 15 to 20 daily, and the recommended is around 25g.)

Also, while containing no carbs except those derived from fiber, this stuff isn't exactly low calorie given all the healthy but still calorically dense fats. So, go easy. Unless you need those extra calories, you I-just-ain't-hungry-pencilneck you.

Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat May 01, 2010 7:55 pm

Recipe: The Primal Muffins!
Ingredients:

1.5 cups ground almonds

2 T ground cacao beans

1/2 cup finely shredded dried coconut

1 t ground cinnamon

2 eggs

1/2 cup coconut oil

1 cup water

Substitutions: you can swap other nut meals for the ground almonds, or use a combination of a few types. Adding 1 T of baking powder will result in fluffier muffins. If you don't mind dairy, melted butter is a great substitute for the coconut oil. If you want to use a sweetener, try adding the equivalent of 1 T sugar or some fruit, then taste before adding more. Make sure you add any powdered sweetener before mixing wet with dry ingredients. I make mine to be more of a neutral (not sweet or savory) base so I can add fruit as a sweet treat, and to protect myself from potentially triggering cravings.

Note - this ingredient list has been updated to reflect the way I would approach making muffins now, i.e. no flax or psyllium, and more coconut. I would also probably add stevia as my sweetener of choice if I were making these for others.

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 for fan-forced). Line or grease a muffin tray (12 medium muffins, 24 mini muffins).

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients well.

In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients and stir vigorously.

Combine wet with dry, and mix with a fork until completely combined.

Spoon into muffin tray, dividing the mixture evenly.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, until skewer comes out clean. Slightly under-bake for moister muffins.

Bioavailable Meat Cups or Quiche in Prosciutto Cups

Ingredients:

Turkey bacon or prosciutto (a thin Italian bacon)
4 egg whites
2 whole omega-3 enriched eggs
6 tablespoon Greek yogurt: plain, nonfat
Salt and pepper to taste (I always use a natural sea salt that retains its trace minerals)

Now you can add whatever herbage and additions you want:

Chopped jalapenos with dash of cayenne pepper powder
Dash of your favorite hot sauce (whisked into egg mixture)
Avocado
Shredded cheese of choice
Basil, thyme, rosemary, garlic... you name it.

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degree.

2. Spray a mini-muffin pan with Pam.

3. Cut the bacon or prosciutto into small pieces and form a little "cup" in each muffin area.

4. Whisk whites, whole eggs, yogurt, salt, pepper, and your choice of herbs.

5. Pour mixture into each cup and slap your muffin pan into the oven for 10 to 14 minutes.

6. If you want, take them out a little early and top with avocado, cheese, peppers, etc. Return to oven for another minute or two.

If you did it right, you'll be left with 12 to 15 healthy "muffins."

Egg Muffins
Ingredients
4 omega-3 enriched whole eggs
4 ounces (1 cup) shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
1 cup skim milk or Calorie Countdown milk
1/4 cup low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
Grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon basil
1 garlic clove (minced) or dash of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Pam cooking spray
1 avocado (diced) and a handful of sun-dried tomatoes
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray a nonstick muffin pan with Pam. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper. Pour a little of this into the bottom of each muffin tin.
3. Add avocado, tomatoes, mozzarella, and feta. On top of this, add the rest of the egg mixture.
4. Top with a heavy sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes uncovered. Let cool for at least 10 minutes, then masticate at will.
Options
• Any veggie works here. Try steaming some frozen chopped spinach in one of those handy microwave steaming bags. Squeeze it dry, then add a little to each muffin tin.
• Add meat. Try lightly browning turkey sausage or turkey bacon, then crumbling it and tossing it into the egg mixture before placing in the oven. Awesome.

Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat May 01, 2010 7:56 pm

Full Frontal Frittata
Imagine, if you will, a pie.
Not a sweet pie, but a savory pie, a pie you could have for breakfast or dinner, a pie that's low in carbs, high in protein, and full of healthy vegetables.
Oh, you say, surely no such wondrous pie exists!
And I'd say, yes, yes it does exist, and it hails from Italy and is the granddaddy of the hearty omelet, only... tastier. It's called a frittata, and it's like slow wet sex on a thunderous Texas night.

Well, okay, maybe not that good. But it's mighty tasty. Let's make us one!
Ingredients:
4 omega-3 enriched whole eggs or 8 egg whites (3/4 cup of whites)
1 small yellow squash, sliced
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 tomato, sliced
4 ounces (1 cup) shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup low-fat Feta cheese, crumbled
1 cup skim milk or Calorie Countdown milk
Reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon basil
1 garlic clove (minced) or dash of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Pam cooking spray
Instructions:
1. Find your oven. It's probably near the microwave. Preheat that sucker to 375 degrees.
2. Toss your sliced squash and zucchini into the microwave for 6 or 7 minutes until tender. Spray a 9-inch pie plate or baking dish with Pam and line it with the nuked veggies.
3. On top of the veggies, toss in the mozzarella, tomato, and feta.
4. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper. Pour this into your pie pan over the cheese and tomato layer. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan.
5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes uncovered. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before wolfing down.

Options:
Lots. This works great with whole eggs or egg whites. And pretty much any vegetable goes. I've used mushrooms, peppers of every kind, avocado, eggplant, spinach, and sun dried tomato to name a few. Basically, just toss whatever veggies you have in the fridge. "Frittata" is in fact Italian for "leftover user-upper." (That's a true fact I just made up.)

I've also made it with lean turkey sausage for a true "breakfast pie" experience. Just brown the sausage a little in a pan first and toss it on top of your veggie layer.
Get creative with this one!

Metabolic Pie
Everybody loves pie. But until now, you've only had three choices when it came to pie:
1) Eat pie often and be embarrassed to take your shirt off at the pool this summer.
2) Eat pie rarely and justify it as a cheat meal.
3) Don't eat pie.
Now you're going to have a new choice: Eat a more physique-friendly pie.
Even with a "treat" recipe like this, I try to cut the calories in half (at the very least) and add protein. No, this isn't something a person would eat when they're two weeks out from a bodybuilding or Figure show, but it is something you can eat that allows you to enjoy dessert without becoming a doughboy or muffin-topper.
So, let's make some pie!

Chris's 5-Minute Metabolic Pie
Ingredients:
2 boxes of sugar-free fat-free instant Jell-O pudding mix
2 cups Calorie Countdown milk or skim milk
1 Metabolic Drive chocolate chunk bar
1 tub fat-free, sugar-free, or lite Cool Whip
2 scoops chocolate Low-Carb Metabolic Drive
1 reduced-fat graham cracker pie crust

Chop up the Metabolic Drive bar. In a big bowl, whisk the milk with half of the Cool Whip. Now whisk in the pudding mix and Metabolic Drive protein powder. Pour into the crust, spoon other half of Cool Whip over the top, and add the chopped protein bar.
Refrigerate for five minutes or so and enjoy. You'll get around 20 grams of protein per slice if you eat a big honkin' slice like me.
Ideas and Options
Truly endless options here once you get the base recipe down. Here's a few:
• You have two ways to make this into a totally different pie: Change the Metabolic Drive flavor and change the pudding mix flavor.
Try white chocolate pudding mix and vanilla Metabolic Drive.

The vanilla protein works with any pudding powder really: pistachio, butterscotch, lemon, etc. You can also use banana cream or strawberry Metabolic Drive with vanilla pudding. Top it with walnuts and fresh sliced banana or strawberry. Top a vanilla pie with a cookie dough Metabolic Drive bar for even more variety.
• Use two scoops of Metabolic Drive for a thicker, cheesecake-like texture. Use one scoop for a lighter, fluffier texture.
• Want to add some fiber? Toss in a serving of Benefiber or Fibersure, both gritless fiber supplements.
• Want to maximize the chocolaty goodness? Pour some Smuckers sugar-free hot fudge topping into a squeeze bottle and drizzle over the top.

• Want to lower the calories even more? Skip the Cool Whip on top. Use only the half-tub in the filling.
• Really like those Metabolic Drive bar chunks? Then along with the one you add on the top, go ahead and mix another in when you're whisking the filling.

• Okay, the reduced-fat graham cracker crust ain't exactly a health food; it's just cutting the calories a little compared to a regular crust. It's a "better bad" food. Not great, but better. If you're on a stricter diet plan, just ditch the crust. Pour the filling into a bowl or glass and top with a shot of fat-free whipped cream (only 5 calories) and a sprinkle of walnuts.

There, a sweet dessert that won't turn you into a wheezing land whale. How 'bout that?

Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat May 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Avocado Cheesecake

Ingredients:

Bag of finely crushed pecans or walnuts
Half a stick of Smart Balance 50/50 butter blend with omega-3
1.5 cups Splenda or your favorite sugar-equivalent substitute
1 envelope of unflavored gelatin
1.5 cups of Calorie Countdown or skim milk (I suggest CC. Skim is too sugary.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 very ripe avocados (almost mushy)
1 lemon for zesting or dried lemon zest
1 package (8 oz) fat-free cream cheese
Topping of choice

Instructions:

1. To make the crust, melt the butter in a pan. Add enough of the crushed nuts to cover the bottom of the pan and soak up all the butter. Thin crust = a little butter and a small amount of nuts. Thicker crust = extra butter, lots of nuts. Up to you. If you want a sweet crust, sprinkle on some extra Splenda.

Stir, kill the heat, then spread evenly into the bottom of a small springform pan.

2. Now let's make the filling. In a cup, stir the gelatin into two tablespoons of water. Let it stand for 5 minutes or so. It may turn into a rubbery hockey puck. This is cool. (And perfectly fine.)

3. Zest the lemon. If you don't know what that means, ask your granny. Or use dried zest like I do.

4. In a small saucepan, combine the milk, Splenda, vanilla, and zest. Bring to a boil. Add gelatin puck/mixture, lower to a simmer, and whisk until the gelatin dissolves. This'll take about a minute.

5. In a food processor (or even your blender) add the cream cheese and avocados (both cubed). Pour hot milk mixture in and give it a whirl until it's super smooth.

6. Pour into the crust, cover, and stick it in the fridge for a couple of hours.

7. Top with sugar-free pie filling (as shown in my pics), whipped topping and extra chopped nuts, or whatever the heck you want.

Tips 'n Stuff

* "But Chris, avocado cheesecake! Are you f'ing weird?"

Yes. Yes, I am. And your point is?

Nah, I know it's crazy. But it's also goooood, especially if you don't like a super-sweet dessert. This is a sweet dessert but the avocado gives it a creamy, savory bite. And it actually doesn't taste very, er, avocado-ey.

But if you're skeered, cut back to one avocado. If you're an avocado fetishist like me, use three.

* "But Chris, why use fat-free milk and fat-free cream cheese when you just said you like your dietary fats! And you added friggin' high-fat avocado to it!"

Because it drops the calories without dropping the volume: eat a lot, get full, don't get fat. Sweet. Also, I want to pick and choose my dietary fats. In this case, I'd rather get them from avocado, nuts, and the omega-3s in the butter blend instead of milk and cream cheese.

Cottage Cheese Cheesecake

Crust: Make the same as the avocado cheesecake above.

Filling:

1. Dissolve 1 packet of sugar-free lemon gelatin in 2/3 cup of boiling water. Let cool.

2. In a blender, combine gelatin mixture, 1 cup of fat-free cottage cheese, and 1 package of fat-free cream cheese (cubed). Blend until smooth. Move into a bowl.

3. Fold in whipped topping (such as sugar-free Cool Whip, 8 oz). Transfer to springform pan with the crust.

4. Stick in fridge for 4 hours before eating. Top with nuts, sugar-free pie filling, fat-free whipped cream etc.

Notes:

Very easy to change the flavor here. Just use cherry or lime gelatin instead of lemon, or whatever you want. Or use unflavored gelatin and add unsweetened cocoa powder and some extra Splenda for chocolate cheesecake.

Sushi Zero

Ingredients

Cold-smoked salmon (a couple packages)
Dried dill or wasabi powder
Package of fat-free cream cheese, brought to room temp
Toasted sesame seeds

Instructions

1. Choose either the dried dill or the wasabi powder. Both taste great so you can't go wrong. Other herbs or spices would work too, but these are my favorites. Just don't use wasabi paste that comes in a tube. Lots of nasty crap in the ones I've looked at. Mix your dill or wasabi powder with the cream cheese.

Side rant: Recipe books and magazine always add really weird bits of extra info. Like in my last sentence they would have added "... in a medium-sized bowl."

Really? In a bowl? I was going to mix it in the bathroom sink.

Oh wait, a medium-sized bowl? So glad you told me what size of bowl to choose. I mean sure, I can handle an 8-inch chef's knife made using the legendary kasumi method, but I would've had no friggin' idea what size bowl to choose if you, the caring and far-more-intelligent-than-I recipe editor, had not told me!

Ok, I feel better.

2. Place a sheet of Saran Wrap on your cutting board and lay the salmon on it. Spread on a layer of the cream cheese mixture.

3. Using the plastic wrap to help, roll salmon into a tight pink tube. Yes, this will in fact make you gay, unless you take REZ-V. True fact.

4. Stick the roll in the freezer for a couple of hours. Begin thumb twiddling and/or Googling the word "shrimping" with your SafeSearch turned off.

5. Spread out a layer of toasted sesame seeds on your cutting board. Roll your roll through them.

Note: I found some pre-toasted sesame seeds at Whole Foods. If you can't find them or just don't like buying food from smelly hippies, then you can find sesame seeds raw along with the dried herbs and spices at your local grocery store. Just heat up a dry pan and toss them around until they turn brown or you start to smell them. If they turn black and the smoke alarm goes off, then go see the smelly hippies.

Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat May 01, 2010 7:59 pm

"Super Fancy French Dessert"

This is basically pudding mix, milk, and protein powder, but call it a "super fancy French dessert" and women will show you their thong preferences. Cross your fingers for Vicky's double-string. Tasty.

Vicoria's Secret Double String
Ingredients:
Fat-free sugar-free Jell-O pudding mix (any flavor, but cheesecake is darn good)
2 cups Calorie Countdown milk or skim milk
Frozen berry mix and/or crushed walnuts or pecans
Light or fat-free whipped cream
Metabolic Drive protein (vanilla is the most versatile)

Blend the milk, pudding mix, and protein powder together. Pop it into a bowl or glass and chill. It's ready to eat in ten minutes or less.
If you're using a clear glass and serving to a luscious female, layer in the other ingredients: a layer of pudding blend, a layer of berries, another layer of pudding, etc. Top with nuts and whipped cream if you want. Just remember to save some whipped cream for later.

Mixed Berry Shortcake

Another great panty-dropper, this is strawberry shortcake done healthy.
Ingredients:
1 pint mixed berries
1/3 cup Calorie Countdown milk or skim milk
1 cup Bisquick Heart Smart mix
1 scoop vanilla Metabolic Drive
Splenda
Dash or two of milled flax seeds
Fat-free whipped cream

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Stir together Bisquick Heart Smart mix, Metabolic Drive, milk, and milled flax seeds. Add some Splenda if you'd like. Whisk until soft dough forms.
Drop 4 spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Split the shortcakes then fill and top with berries and fat-free whipped cream.

Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed May 05, 2010 3:04 pm

Here's a recipe for cauliflower crust, followed by how to rice the cauliflower for said crust. Haven't tried this myself, but I definitely will.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Top: Cauliflower Bread sticks and Pizza? No way! Way!

Crust from cauliflower? It's Pizza-Pleasing and Perfect.
Recently, while my family was watching a rousing marathon of Jason and the Argonauts, I was looking through some old college recipe books some friends and I put together back in the day, and found a recipe that was for a gluten-free pizza crust which used rice instead of the old stand-by flour. Inspired by the success I was having with riced cauliflower, I played with the rice crust recipe, made a couple of calculations and guesses on ingredients and flavorings, and came up with a pretty amazing pizza.

My kids didn't even know it was cauliflower. And when they found out, the have been bugging me to make more, because they can't get over how very much they like this recipe. I have to make a run to the store this morning for more cauliflower, as a result! They don't even like other pizzas this much! I had to snap pictures quickly, because people kept trying to eat the props!

Can a pizza be more perfectly pleasing? Gluten-free and low-carbohydrate enough to be enjoyed on Atkins induction?

The crust, baked initially. Can be frozen.
You Won't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower*
1 egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp fennel
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley

**pizza or alfredo sauce
toppings (make sure meats are cooked)
mozzarella cheese

Delicious and easy.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.

Place under a broiler (grill for the Europeans) at high heat just until cheese is melted **.

You can hold it in your hand.
Notes:

*I use frozen cauliflower prepared according to package directions. After cooked and slightly cooled, I shred cauliflower with a cheese grater, and then measure for the recipe. (Don't pack down the cup with cauliflower. Just fill it with a spoon or the cup itself.)

** The pizza sauce I use is Great Value Pizza sauce from Wal-Mart. At only 3 net carbs per quarter cup, you get a lot of punch for little carbohydrate pow.

*** You can try re-baking the pizza at 450 once you add toppings if desired, but the crust is not quite as crusty. There is a minimal difference, so see what works best for you.

Make the Super Veggie Supreme a Hit in Your House, too!
My Super Veggie Supreme:
Sun-Dried Tomato Alfredo
a little mozzarella
chopped, fresh tomato
sliced, fresh mushrooms
purple onion, chopped
jarred artichoke hearts, chopped
frozen spinach, thawed
green olives, sliced
chopped red bell pepper
a little more mozzarella
pine nuts
Reheats nicely and can still be held in the hand, even the next day.
Pizza crusts can be frozen after the initial baking and used later.
Makes 4, 1-slice servings. Can be doubled for a larger pizza (double nutritional information).

Riced Cauliflower
1- 16 ounce bag frozen cauliflower florets
I use a 2-qt covered dish and microwave the cauliflower (Don't add water) until it is cooked, 8 minutes. Using mitts, carefully pour water from the cauliflower. Allow to cool with lid removed.
Cauliflower can be riced in several ways.

1. Food processor
2. Santoku knife
3. Using a cheese grater
4. Using a ricer

Store covered and refrigerated until use.

Note: You can use a head of raw cauliflower to make your riced cauliflower. Simply process/rice the head prior to cooking in the microwave.

Makes approximately 3 cups riced.
Serves 6.

Nutritional Information:
Calories: 20, Carbohydrates: 3.5 g, Fiber: >1g, Net Carbohydrates: 2.5 g, Protein: >1 g, Fat: 0 g

Kmerc

Postby Kmerc » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:28 am

Chili
2-4lbs Ground Meat(usually turkey or lean beef)
1 can Black Beans
1 can Kidney Beans
1 can Chick Peas
^if you use 4lbs of meat you may want to make one of the cans above a large one
1 small onion
1/2 clove of garlic
1 large can of pureed tomatos(make sure its a brand that doesn't have too many additives)
about 5-8 tablespoons chili powder
about 3-5 tablespoons Cayenne
about 1-3 tablespoons cumin
about 1/2-1 tablespoon salt and pepper

Ofcourse all of this can vary depending on the size of the pot your using.

Add olive/canola oil to large pot
Cook the meat thoroughly
Chop the onion and garlic add to pot
Add the beans and tomato puree
Add spices
Stir well
Let simmer for about 1/2hour-1hour

Some of the best tasting chili Ive ever had.

Avocado/Tuna Salad
Take a half or whole avocado and mix it with a can of strained tuna.
Add on top of baby spinach with olive/canola oil and you have a simple delicious Paleo meal.
Become unpredictable, strike from your subconscious mind, let your moves flow out from your individual essence. Even the most masterful opponent will fall from a strike that has no history or reference, the moves created from your own individual unique essence may suprise even you.

w1cked

Postby w1cked » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:10 pm

tried the tuna salad. great idea, the avocado really numbs the tuna taste. I threw in some coriander leaves to taste.
2012 goals
-reach & maintain single digit bf
-muscle up, free HSPU, standing rollout

Return to “Nutrition and Supplementation”