Tarator (cold soup)

1 cucumber
2 cloves of garlic
2 cups of plain yogurt
1/2 cup of water
1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped dill
walnuts (optional)

1. Finely chop (or blend) cucumber and garlic and put in a bowl.
2. Add yogurt, water, olive oil, dill and salt to taste. Add more water if consistency is too thick for soup. Top with walnuts if desired.
3. Eat chilled.

newseidon

Re: Recipe Sticky

Postby newseidon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:18 am

A good way to get a lot of olive oil down is by melting tomatoes (it's different from tomato soup before anyone asks).

If you make a little cut in the tomatoes and put them in hot water the skin will come off, which is what you'll want. Then you can put all the tomatoes in a pan with the bouillon and add lots and lots of olive oil, you won't taste it :) not to forget, the lycophene is better preserved with all the fat.

Sundance

Postby Sundance » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:39 pm

STOCK

I'm a big fan of soup. It's very good for you, easy to make and easy to digest. The key to making a good soup is the stock. That's where your soup, casserole, pies and anything else requireing a stock gets its real flavour from. Don't use stock cubes or those jellys which are now available as they're full of crap. Make your own and get the benefit of the extra vitamins and nutrients. I'll detail here how to make a good chicken stock as I think most people are guilty of throwing away chicken carcuses and wasting all that extra energy.

This is the max amount you can make from one carcass without loosing the flavour, so if you have a freezer use it.

You will need:

3 medium carrots
2 onions
4-5 lengths of celery
1 chicken carcass stripped of the breasts and any other meat you want to keep. If the chicken has already been cooked it's still good to use
2 bay leaves
1 boquet garni
5-10 peppercorns

- Take your chicken carcass and throw it in a big pan. If you can it's better to cut it up so the marrow can release from the bones.
- Chop up all the veg and throw that in the pan too, as well as the rest of the ingreedients.
- Fill the pan with about 8-9 litres of water
- Cover and bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Leave the pan slightly open and simmer for 3 hours skimming any fat from the surface every 45 min or so.
- Pour the liquid through a fine siv and throw away the ingredients.

Thats it! What you are basically doing is heating the ingredients so that all the flavour, vitamins and mutrients are released into the water. Here are a few tips to follow:

- A good stock should have a slight jelly consistency to it.
- If you have too much you can just boil some of in an open top pan (only the water will boil off and the flavour will increase).
- If you have any other veg which you are going to throw away ie. potato skins, just throw them in the pan with all the other ingredients.
- Don't stir when simmering as it will mix any fat on the surface through the stock and cause it to cloud

That should give you about 7-8 litres of top quality chicken stock to do with what you will.

FeelGood

Postby FeelGood » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:18 pm

I had 4 chicken breast tenderloins and wanted to try a new chicken seasoning - I was dammm successful today:

Schwarma(Middle Eastern) Chicken Seasoning

[a bunch of bottled spices]
1tsp each of:

Cumin
Coriander
Turmeric
Garlic Powder
Paprika
Salt (Used Sea Salt and can probably go less than a tsp)
Pepper

I mixed those in a small bowl and tossed it with the chicken and olive oil in a ziploc bag. In the fridge for an hour (the more the better I think) and then cook up however you like - fry, bake, grill. Enjoy!

FeelGood

Postby FeelGood » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:40 pm

Figured I would also add my post-workout shake:

cookies'n'creme whey (1 scoop)
water (1 cup)
banana (1 whole)
blueberries (handful/optional)
rolled oats (i think 1/2 cup)
flax meal (1 or 2 tablespoon - this is pulverized flax seed)
ice (5 cubes)

Put ingredients in blender and liquify. I look forward to this shake after every workout!

Plastik

Postby Plastik » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Nates Fave Salmon Meal

- Fresh Salmon Fillets or Steaks
- Grainy Mustard
- Raw Honey or Maple Syrup
- Sea Salt and Pepper

Directions:

Place Salmon in baking dish. Spread 2 Tbsp of the grainy mustard on each fillet so the entire top is covered. Melt honey (if hard) and drizzle over the top as well. Or drizzle maple syrup over top. Whichever you prefer. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Place in oven at 350 F for about 15-20 minutes or until done.

** Eat on its own or place it atop a lovely salad of your choice. Very good indeed.

Recipe idea courtesy of Chef Michael Smith of Foodnetwork Canada. He uses maple syrup I only had honey at the time I gave this a try, so that is what I have used and it tastes great.
I Am Invincible Until It Is My Time

nate's facebook
nate's latest dj mix

bguigz

Postby bguigz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:46 am

Great thread, can't believe I didn't read it earlier...

Here's my contribution, a simple veggies mixed that can be used in several ways:

2 zucchinis
2 big carrots
2 tomatoes
1 onion
Thyme and oregano

Use the big holes of a grater (shredder?) to grate (shred?) all those veggies. The zucchinis and carrots should end up in nice small and thin bits, the onion and tomatoes should end up in a sort of liquid paste as they have a softer texture than carrots and zucchinis.

Sautée the veggies together in olive oil, with the thyme and oregano seasonning, over low heat for around 10 minutes. As the veggies are chopped in small pieces / or in a rather liquid paste, no need for a high cooking temperature. Salt and pepper to taste.

The mix of veggies can be used on its own as a nice side dish. You can also use it to make a nice veggies omelette. Or add tomatoe sauce (and ground beef if you wish) to make an awesome spaghetti sauce.
My log

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

FeelGood

Postby FeelGood » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:03 pm

Quick and tasty high protein - low carb meal.

Tuna Lettuce Wrap

Ingredients
Romaine Lettuce Leaf = 2
Tuna = 1/2 a small can of albacore white tuna in water
Avocado = 1/2 sliced
Radish (chopped)
Green Onion (chopped)
Spinach
Cilantro
Ginger
Red Wine Vinegar
Olive Oil
Salt Pepper

Instructions
Lay down the lettuce leafs the same way so the spines overlap and you get a nice strong wrap. Try to spread around evenly along the center spine: Avocado, Tuna, Radish, Green Onion, Cilantro. Here I grated some ginger and then added some spinach leaves. Then Red Wine Vinegar, a little Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper to taste. I think the key seasoning elements are the ginger and red wine vinegar.

I have added humus to this and it tastes great also. Enjoy!

FeelGood

Postby FeelGood » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:51 pm

I have eggs nearly every morning so I have to change it up to make them interesting. Here is one of my favorites that I just had today:

Fried Italian Egg

Ingredients
Olive Oil
Eggs
Tomato
Onions
Basil
Oregano

Instructions
Heat up some olive oil in a frying pan that has a lid (we will use the lid). Toss in the chopped onion and tomatoes (I used sweet onion and plum tomatoes). I then seasoned this with Basil & Oregano seasonings from bottles, also a little salt and pepper. I then dropped in 3 egg whites and on top of this I added 2tsp flax meal(optional). You don't need to touch the eggs. Basil, Oregano, Salt & Pepper again and just put the lid on. Helps the egg cook and set. Once you have one side cooked as you like its time to be the chef and flip the egg. Think of it as a wrist exercise, 1 rep that has to be done with perfect form (or cheat and use a flipper). Then the lid again. The egg will look awesome with the herbs(green) and tomatoes(red) and egg(white) - kind of like a pizza or Italian flag. You can serve it folded over like an omelet with a little mozzarella inside the fold.

Let me know if you try it. Enjoy!

mtguy

Postby mtguy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:45 am

Date poppers

Real easy for this one. Makes a great pre or post workout snack

2-3 dates
Nut butter (peanut, almond, cahshew, sunflower seed...)

Cut the date in half, take out of the pit. Put in the butter (how little or much as you would like). You can also microwave it for 4-5 seconds.
"The nice thing about being the best is that you can listen to other people's advice without necessarily having to take it."
Co-worker

Return to “Nutrition and Supplementation”