How much is too much Vitamin D?

Discuss nutrition and supplementation
ThroughTheThorns

How much is too much Vitamin D?

Postby ThroughTheThorns » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:46 am

I take 5000iu every day about 8 months out of the year October through to May, and then I take 2000iu a day for 4 months..

I live in England/Midlands where we get next to no sun this time of year.. I have read that the upper safe limit is 4000iu each day..

Havent had my levels checked for nearly a year but when I did they were ok/pretty good, not exceptionally high even with taking the 5000iu..

Is there anything you guys would change about how im supplementing my vit D? again I havent had my levels checked this year, its just cutting into my time. I am trying to optimise as best I can and how we feel in the winter months (any time of year for that matter) cant simply be put down to one vitamin anyway..

should I lower the dose in autumn/winter/spring or would you guys keep it as is?.. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Snaplight

Re: How much is too much Vitamin D?

Postby Snaplight » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:47 am

For us in the darker parts I actually feel the moderate use of Sunbeds during Winter isn't such a bad thing in combination with Vit D supplementation.

I know Sunbeds get a bad rap but for me they make me feel better if used judiciously over the very dark winter months.

ThroughTheThorns

Postby ThroughTheThorns » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:09 am

Snaplight wrote:For us in the darker parts I actually feel the moderate use of Sunbeds during Winter isn't such a bad thing in combination with Vit D supplementation.

I know Sunbeds get a bad rap but for me they make me feel better if used judiciously over the very dark winter months.

your using a sunbed to get your vitamin D?...

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:13 pm

The only thing I'd suggest as an adjustment is that you take it with vitamin K, which ensures that the vitamin D does its job properly by sending calcium where it's supposed to go (and not where it's not supposed to go): https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-and-vitamin-k#section3

It's subjective opinion, of course, but I feel stronger after switching to a supplement that also contains K.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Zero the Hero

Postby Zero the Hero » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:24 pm

^Absolutely.

You must take Vitamin K2 with D3.

I take a capsule of 2000mg D3 and 120mcg K2 every night before bed with 4 grams of fish oil for the most effective results.

Snaplight

Postby Snaplight » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:04 am

ThroughTheThorns wrote:
Snaplight wrote:For us in the darker parts I actually feel the moderate use of Sunbeds during Winter isn't such a bad thing in combination with Vit D supplementation.

your using a sunbed to get your vitamin D?...

Er,.... Likes YES!!

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-v ... BCy-WigKUk

Return to “Nutrition and Supplementation”