Is there absolutely anything in bread that you cant just get from oats? Also looking for some new diet tips.

Discuss nutrition and supplementation
ThroughTheThorns

Is there absolutely anything in bread that you cant just get from oats? Also looking for some new diet tips.

Postby ThroughTheThorns » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:34 pm

I have cut bread out of my diet the last few weeks. Instead opting for an extra bowl of oats in the evening with some peanut butter, instead of my usual peanut butter sandwich.

Diet is pretty clean again

breakfast is usually half cup of oats with walnuts blueberries and cinnamon, 3 eggs scrambled in 1 and 1/2 cups of spinach and half a cup of diced pepper. How I space these depends on if I train in the morning that day or not. I might have half cup of oats and then have 3 eggs with veges after training and then another half cup of oats depending on how hungry I am and if I had time. I have 2 or 3 rashes of bacon and eggs with veges as a treat on the weekend. You gotta eat a little bit of pig to keep the voices happy :angelic-green:

I snack on almonds, bannana, organic yoghurt, mid morning i might have a green smoothie though sometimes consisting of 2 cups of kale or spinach, 1 bannana, chia seeds, chunk of ginger and a pear. Otherwise it will be some nuts/seeds and fruit

lunch will typically be either sweet potatoes and 3 cups of veges with chicken breast or steak, maybe salmon. I try to eat liver once a week because its really cheap. None of my meats are organic and cant get a straight answer from my local butcher on whether its grassfed.. seems the cattle is a mix of grass and grain fed depending on the season. I think its maybe less of a deal in the UK though. I do eat red meat around 4 times a week.

later on I will snack on avocado salad with 2 tablespoons of seeds like pumpkin and sesame mixed, rocket salad, 1 cup of diced pepper, 1 cup of diced tomatoe and a few slices of cucumber.

dinner would be either salmon or a tin off mackeral or sardines and again 3 cups of veges of some sort differing from lunch, typically 2 cups of brocolli and 1 cup of green beans could be any assortment however.. based on what I bought for my refrigerator the last few days. I shop regular (local supermarket) because I dont actually have a freezer. Another carb source with this meal will either be white potatoes or 1 cup of gluten free pasta

I recently ditched dark chocolate despite the health claims as frankly the sugar was just making me want more sugar and I could not control myself and make that shit last more than 2 days Now, that's funny.

When im home between meals I might snack on 3 or 4 rice cakes with peanut butter smothered over them each day.

I also tend to have an extra half cup of organic oats at night with peanut butter, blueberries and a bannana mashed in there.. this kind of replaces a pb sandwich that used to be a typical snack.

I honestly could not tell you if im gluten intolerant.. many however consider bread an unhealthy choice if you cant afford something like sprouted grain. I am jsut wondering if im really missing anything nutritionally that I dont already get from oats.. i.e. B12 etc..

I also would like to hear some thoughts on whether I would be better off having sweet potatoes for lunch or dinner based on the type of carbs, and the same question regarding white potatoes. I do not want to try something like a ketogenic diet because aside from whether or not low carb would work for me I also kind of need the calories to keep up with any training I do unless I want to waste away. Always been a natural ectomorph of sorts.

What I am concerned and more interested in however is the release of carbs from things like potatoes and pasta throughout the day. I try to get sweet potatoes in every day as it is my understanding they are very nutritionally dense, more so than white potatoes? and my other main meal I tend to rotate between white potatoes or occassionally I have pasta. (I do not feel so good with rice.. mentally and to a degree physically it just makes me sleepy). If anyone is against pasta from a healthy diet perspective feel free to voice your opinion. I have not had a meal without a primary carb source for a long time. i.e. meat and just veges/getting carbs from starchy vegetables.

I also want to know if anyone thinks its bad to have oats/carbs at night. I tend not to want oats as an afternoon snack and I have something else like a salad until dinner (tea time as we call it here;) ) time. I also have eaten fish everyday for a very long time.. but I do stick to fish with the lowest level of mercury so I dont worry too much.

Snaplight

Re: Is there absolutely anything in bread that you cant just get from oats? Also looking for some new diet tips.

Postby Snaplight » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:36 pm

Speaking on a purely personal level ( but what other perspective could I have..) I've already found Oats give me digestive problems.
No problems with Rice but Oats can definitely give me interesting Toilet experiences.

ThroughTheThorns

Re: Is there absolutely anything in bread that you cant just get from oats? Also looking for some new diet tips.

Postby ThroughTheThorns » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:24 pm

Snaplight wrote:Speaking on a purely personal level ( but what other perspective could I have..) I've already found Oats give me digestive problems.
No problems with Rice but Oats can definitely give me interesting Toilet experiences.

for me I find rice makes me feel lethargic perhaps due to grain sensitivity im not sure..

Return to “Nutrition and Supplementation”