Stinging Nettles

Discuss nutrition and supplementation
RepublicJim

Stinging Nettles

Postby RepublicJim » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:20 pm

Does anyone here eat nettles (either raw or cooked) or drink nettle tea? I only recently found out about many of its purported benefits while researching what to do with all the naturally-growing plants on my property. While I don't buy into much of the hype, it seems that they would be a healthy addition to my diet, and it would be free and relatively low-maintenance for me.

I'm curious about any personal experience with effects from ingesting nettles. Also, if anyone has advice on preparing it that would be much appreciated.
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

Arkann

Re: Stinging Nettles

Postby Arkann » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:18 pm

I've heard stories from my grandma about using it for cooking and baking in eastern Europe. They did it a lot during hard time and being poor countryside people. As well as during WW2.

That is as much as I know..

Snaplight

Postby Snaplight » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:44 pm

Good Post

Nutritionally speaking Stinging Nettles are a bit of a Powerhouse -real shame as a crop we don't make better use of them.

https://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?La ... ica+dioica

https://pfaf.org/plants/edible-weeds-ur ... ng-nettle/

Must admit I only know a few people that use them but a lot of them have a primitive living / bushcraft interest.
I can't think of a reason to not use them.

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:42 pm

Snaplight wrote:Good Post

Nutritionally speaking Stinging Nettles are a bit of a Powerhouse -real shame as a crop we don't make better use of them.

I'm planning to make better use of them. Considering that they naturally grow very quickly and densely on part of my property it just makes sense to take advantage of a free, low-maintenance crop that also has many health benefits.

Must admit I only know a few people that use them but a lot of them have a primitive living / bushcraft interest.
I can't think of a reason to not use them.

Coincidentally, I too have a bit of a primitive living/bushcraft interest. While I do enjoy some modern conveniences such as electricity and running water, I have been turning more to self-sufficient, homestead-type methods. We garden, heat entirely with wood, dry clothes on a line, etc. I guess the nettles do kind of follow that pattern.

Thanks for the feedback. I will update as I experiment.
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

Return to “Nutrition and Supplementation”