Folding Buck 110 is now a quick opener

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
speedy

Folding Buck 110 is now a quick opener

Postby speedy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:10 pm

IMHO Buck 110 is one of the best folding knives out there to date. But for protection not the best choice since you need two hands to open. I tried the holding the blade and flick down the handle trick; I don't recommend it. Also there are automatic versions but that has it's own problems and Buck seems to sell only to people in specific fields, plus there are states that consider those as illegal.

Now this islegal. I am currently trying to get my hands on one.

Dr Sara Salomon <---more than just a pretty face. She is smart and has a lot of insight and yes I admit it, easy on the eyes. :mozilla_cool:

RepublicJim

Re: Folding Buck 110 is now a quick opener

Postby RepublicJim » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:32 pm

Interesting concept, although it isn't my cup of tea. It looks like it would be quite fast to deploy.

I carry a 110 as a backup in my SAR pack and it is definitely a strong, capable folder. Of course, my primary knife in the woods is always a fixed blade and I have no problem accessing that quickly. I also just got a Cold Steel Finn Wolf for EDC, since it is light, strong, and has a blade designed for bushcraft-type and general slicing tasks. It has thumb studs and is fairly easy to open quickly, although I don't really think of it as a weapon. I expect it will be used strictly as a tool.

Some Cold Steel folders could be another option for you. Their Tri-Ad lock is very strong and they have many models suitable for defense and fast opening, including some at quite reasonable prices. Of course, if you're set on the Buck 110, it looks like you found a good solution to your dilemma.
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

Paladin

Postby Paladin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Cool concept. I have an old Buck like that one I keep in the console of my truck. For EDC I generally go with a KBAR TDI fixed blade.

Blessed be the Lord my rock, Who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle! Psalm 144:1
For those who have hunted armed men, training will never be the same.
Help the children of fallen heroes: Please Donate: http://www.specialops.org/

speedy

Postby speedy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:06 am

I have changed my mind. As cool as that is I keep the Buck in my EDC bag and use it primarily for food: mostly during work lunches and mostly for my oranges and apples and when I go to that one pizza place that has really crappy knives. I pulled out a folder many times just to cut the pizza.

My carry is still a LM Charge and on my left I am swapping between a Benchmade & Spyderco. I only carry the SAK when I don't have my LM on me and then that would be the only thing I carry during those times being the SAK; which for the most part is outside of work.

The Spyderco is so light that is my primary carry around the house; I can't possibly list all the times I need a knife around the house. Open this, that, etc. I got tired of going to get one that I just keep my Spyderco in my boxers (how do you like that picture in your head) for it's that light.
Dr Sara Salomon <---more than just a pretty face. She is smart and has a lot of insight and yes I admit it, easy on the eyes. :mozilla_cool:

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:07 am

For a very sturdy all-purpose, quick deploying blade, I have carried the ZT0350 for six years now. It opens easily, has a very sturdy liner lock. It's so sturdy that I can use it as an impact weapon in closed position if I'm in an ambiguous self defense scenario.

I wish it were lighter. I do carry it on trail runs clipped to my shoulder harness for quick access. It's the only thing I carry that isn't optimized for lightness, but I know it well, so I keep going back to it. The only modification I've made to it is an after-market deep carry clip because the tip down carry position with the stock clip left a lot of it exposed above the line of my pocket and I would get comments every now and again.

I don't like the idea of multiple knives and multiple handguns. One of each for me. Train and carry, same gear for years. Almost everything that matters in a high-need situation will come down to me. I don't want to worry about what I happen to be carrying at any given moment.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

speedy

Postby speedy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:15 am

Ever watch NCIS? If no, look it up and that knife. That show made me want to get one but as a lefty I didn't for a few reasons.

pathfighter wrote:For a very sturdy all-purpose, quick deploying blade, I have carried the ZT0350 for six years now. It opens easily, has a very sturdy liner lock. It's so sturdy that I can use it as an impact weapon in closed position if I'm in an ambiguous self defense scenario.

I wish it were lighter. I do carry it on trail runs clipped to my shoulder harness for quick access. It's the only thing I carry that isn't optimized for lightness, but I know it well, so I keep going back to it. The only modification I've made to it is an after-market deep carry clip because the tip down carry position with the stock clip left a lot of it exposed above the line of my pocket and I would get comments every now and again.

I don't like the idea of multiple knives and multiple handguns. One of each for me. Train and carry, same gear for years. Almost everything that matters in a high-need situation will come down to me. I don't want to worry about what I happen to be carrying at any given moment.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:51 am

speedy wrote:Ever watch NCIS? If no, look it up and that knife. That show made me want to get one but as a lefty I didn't for a few reasons.

pathfighter wrote:For a very sturdy all-purpose, quick deploying blade, I have carried the ZT0350 for six years now. It opens easily, has a very sturdy liner lock. It's so sturdy that I can use it as an impact weapon in closed position if I'm in an ambiguous self defense scenario.

Haha, dude I can't stand that show. Please don't make me watch it! Can you tell me know the knife got featured?
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

speedy

Postby speedy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:55 am

pathfighter wrote:Haha, dude I can't stand that show. Please don't make me watch it! Can you tell me know the knife got featured?

https://ncisknives.com/

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”