Baseball Bat for Home Defense

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
tatertot

Re: Baseball Bat for Home Defense

Postby tatertot » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:29 am

The talk of knuckledusters reminds me of when my wife and I were cleaning out her grandmas house after she died. She was a packrat, and we found a legitimate trench knife. I laughed pretty good at the 90 year old woman having a trench knife.

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:03 pm

tatertot wrote:The talk of knuckledusters reminds me of when my wife and I were cleaning out her grandmas house after she died. She was a packrat, and we found a legitimate trench knife. I laughed pretty good at the 90 year old woman having a trench knife.

One of my friends is a Maronite from Lebanon. You would get a real kick out of his Grandma ha ha ha.

sculls wrote:Yea, no, a knuckleduster would be spectactularly illegal where I live. Same class as owning a machinegun.

Blunt striking weapon is OK. Must not be a top heavy baton or flexible though.

Everyday item that per se is not a weapon is OK as well, like the hammer idea I mentioned.

Oh, wow. That's a crazy law.
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

sculls

Postby sculls » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:01 pm

The law's still primarily historical and privileges for hunters. Plus some political idiocy. Knuckle dusters, steel rods and flexible top heavy batons with spring shafts were apparently used a lot in the poltical violence of the interwar years.

Sometime in the 90-ies on the other hand they e.g. thought it a good idea to completely ban pump action shotguns. You can still get a pump action rifle without(!) any permit or a semiauto shotgun with a permit. WTF?

You can own a partial jacket hollow point round only if you're a member of a gun club. For all other expanding ammo for rifles (read: hunting ammo) you just need to be 18. All other expanding handgun ammo OK if you hold a permit for handguns and semiauto rifles. WTF is special about a partial jacket? Never came across one, apparently bulls eye shooters like them.

I could go on like this for hours. And I'm sure every other country has stupid laws concerning arms as well. :doh:
Sport is specific, training is individual.

Train congruently! (not much of a catchphrase but a great concept)
http://www.youtube.com/user/CongruentExercise/videos

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:03 pm

Yep. In my opinion, a polite society is a well armed society. A lot of these laws really do encroach on the average man-on-the-street's personal sovereignty.

I know some people who know me personally think I'm somewhere between a little eccentric and a little nuts with some of this kind of thing, but at the end of the day man is the most dominant apex predator there is, sociopathy is man's true natural state, and the only reason we don't like to acknowledge this is because of the social contract... But what happens when that contract collapses? I like to think most of humanity, myself included, have moved away in consciousness from the sociopathic apex predator mindset and will not devolve into this but the sad, hard facts are that there are many people out there who either would do so given the chance, or have already done so in their respective environments. Look at the prison systems, it's right there in front of you... So many people in there just keeping their head down, getting along as best they can and serving their time... and a lot of sharks too.

Solzhenitsyn wrote of friends and neighbours kidnapping and cannibalizing each other's children during some of the darker days of the USSR. So when some of my friends think I'm a little eccentric for being perfectly prepared and comfortable to hack limbs off of an attacker to protect my family, self and property, and the fact I won't lose an ounce of sleep over it in the least, maybe they're just not looking with eyes wide open enough... I hope I never have to, but I'm not gonna bat an eye or hesitate if I gotta do it. I've done some pretty abhorrent stuff to people before when I have needed to, and I've never felt any regret or remorse other than those incidences where I was really in the wrong. What's just, is just.

Obviously the majority of us all just want to live in peace, I know I do, but as the saying goes "si vis pacem, para bellum".
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

Wasatch

Postby Wasatch » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:33 am

Have a bat as well, but the SA XD9SC is better.

Faust

Postby Faust » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:55 pm

Canis Caelorum wrote:
Obviously the majority of us all just want to live in peace, I know I do, but as the saying goes "si vis pacem, para bellum".

Wise words.
The receiver makes the massage.

Alph

Postby Alph » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:48 am

sculls wrote:Yea, no, a knuckleduster would be spectactularly illegal where I live. Same class as owning a machinegun.

Blunt striking weapon is OK. Must not be a top heavy baton or flexible though.

Everyday item that per se is not a weapon is OK as well, like the hammer idea I mentioned.

Not sure where you live, but Round stock Aluminum 7075 grade (used in aerospace applications). They machine decently (best to do it when it's annealing after it's being made) Get it club sized, it will be lightweight, rigid, and won't break anytime soon coming in at a tensile strength of around 75000 PSI. Find someone else who is interested in it as well and just split the cost. I've got a local metal supplier so I can't vouch for prices elsewhere but you can get 3 ft of inch and a half round stock for around 60 dollars, or two feet for around 40 online. Machine it to be whatever house hold item you want (or request the vendor to be it) if you want it to be disguised.
Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. - Jim Jarmusch

Brooklyn_teacher

Postby Brooklyn_teacher » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:56 pm

Check out a rounders bat (the game baseball comes from). The bat is shorter than a mini baseball bat but with greater heft.

Be nice. Thats manly.

sculls

Postby sculls » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:37 am

That looks exactly right.
Sport is specific, training is individual.

Train congruently! (not much of a catchphrase but a great concept)
http://www.youtube.com/user/CongruentExercise/videos

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:53 pm

I always get a chuckle out of these topics. People dont want to shoot someone but think they will have no pause when it comes time to bash a mans head in with a baseball bat.

Nerf bat, aluminum bat wood bat signed by Pete Rose I dont care give me a shotgun or a desert eagle. I dont want him close enough to me for me to have to hit him, Im already in trouble if we are that close.

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”