Baseball Bat for Home Defense

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
speedy

Baseball Bat for Home Defense

Postby speedy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Whether you own a gun or not, whether you are pro gun or not, what baseball bat would you go with for home defense?

Metal or Wood
Heavy or Light
What kind of wood if you choose wood?
Etc.
My log.Speedy Log

Faust

Re: Baseball Bat for Home Defense

Postby Faust » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:37 pm

Against an intruder armed with a gun? Probably not the best choice. I'd go with something smaller in size though. I can't swing a bat in my narrow corridor. Think about an axe handle of medium size. I like Hickory wood.
The receiver makes the massage.

speedy

Postby speedy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:11 am

I was thinking about it more and will be going with a Jr. Baseball bat which for an adult should be like a club.

Just going to wait till baseball season when all the gear is in the stores.
My log.Speedy Log

bigdaddy

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:33 pm

My wife has one of those tiny ones in her car. They look too small to me. However, I recently saw a Tee-Ball bat that looked perfect; about half the size of a regular bat...
" I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me"- Phi. 4:13

"See there? You give somebody a rap in the beezer you get some respect"

"Drop death right on its ass"-Mr.Mean

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:15 am

Faust wrote:Against an intruder armed with a gun? Probably not the best choice. I'd go with something smaller in size though. I can't swing a bat in my narrow corridor. Think about an axe handle of medium size. I like Hickory wood.

I agree. Axe handles are good, especially since you can cut or shape the wood for length/grip preference. Wood closet rods are handy too. Not as dense and heavy as axe handles, but you can cut multiple sticks from one, at whatever lengths you like. I find that the diameter is about perfect and the lighter wood does allow more speed in the swing.

Another option - for anyone who has dumbbells with removable plates - is a nice metal rod from the dumbbell. They may be short, but I would bet you could do considerable damage with them.

That said, I would still recommend a 12ga as your first choice. :mozilla_smile:
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:24 pm

When I was a teenager I used to keep a wooden one with the end wrapped in razor ribbon, I'm not sure what type of wood it was though. It was highly efficacious in the art of negotiation though.

If you live in an area which won't prosecute anything for home defense, obviously firearms are your best defense but as a back up a good machete with a well maintained edge is great - I worked for years in slaughterhouses and abattoirs so I have pretty good first hand practical knowledge of maintaining an edge that will cleave through flesh and bone with ease. It's not hard to learn, I recommend sharpening at a similar degree of angle that they use on the "chopper" or cleaver in the abbeys as it will hold it's edge longer during sustained/prolonged use. Practice on home kill or when butchering wild game just to make sure the edge is sufficient. You won't need to be precise, and will still be able to use it effectively during an adrenaline dump type situation IMHO. However if you live in an area with draconian laws which may look to prosecute you, having kept and maintained it with such an edge could go badly in court - you will need to make sure neighbors see you regularly using it for yard work and gardening purposes to provide plausible reasonable doubt that it was kept and maintained as a weapon.
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:57 pm

speedy wrote:I was thinking about it more and will be going with a Jr. Baseball bat which for an adult should be like a club.

Like a blackjack on a budget haha
With respect

sculls

Postby sculls » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:06 am

I had an aluminium baseball bat and was dissatisfied. Too long and the weight distribution didn't feel right. Sold it to my wife's boss for the purpose.

What I am still looking for is a blunt instrument for carry. Way better idea than putting a hole into somebody with a blade legally, tactically and morally, but hammers and the like are too big and heavy. :think: Expandable batons too.
Sport is specific, training is individual.

Train congruently! (not much of a catchphrase but a great concept)
http://www.youtube.com/user/CongruentExercise/videos

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:49 pm

sculls wrote:I had an aluminium baseball bat and was dissatisfied. Too long and the weight distribution didn't feel right. Sold it to my wife's boss for the purpose.

What I am still looking for is a blunt instrument for carry. Way better idea than putting a hole into somebody with a blade legally, tactically and morally, but hammers and the like are too big and heavy. :think: Expandable batons too.

A short piece of steel pipe to grip onto and four really big engineering nuts large enough to slip your finger through, welded together with the corners of the nuts all facing out, makes a nice handy knuckleduster. I've put a few guys down with mine and it makes a big mess real quick.

Legally I can understand, but when it comes to morally the second someone has tried to do me harm I no longer give a fuck about the guy. There's no moral wrong in defending yourself, or putting someone down that needs to be.
With respect

sculls

Postby sculls » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:15 am

Yea, no, a knuckleduster would be spectactularly illegal where I live. Same class as owning a machinegun.

Blunt striking weapon is OK. Must not be a top heavy baton or flexible though.

Everyday item that per se is not a weapon is OK as well, like the hammer idea I mentioned.
Sport is specific, training is individual.

Train congruently! (not much of a catchphrase but a great concept)
http://www.youtube.com/user/CongruentExercise/videos

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”