Situational Awareness.

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
Snaplight

Situational Awareness.

Postby Snaplight » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:47 am

Violent crime seems to be everywhere these days Knife crime as well as the truly dismal act of 'Happy Slapping' and unprovoked attacks seem to be on the increase.
I've read the works of Cooper on Situational Awareness - I'm wondering what you guys consciously do to minimize any potential issues and limit leaving yourself in a weakened position.

Speaking for myself I'll always try and sit in a booth or table with a solid wall behind me , also I tend to reverse into parking spaces.

Do you guys do anything similar?

Canis Caelorum

Re: Situational Awareness.

Postby Canis Caelorum » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:11 pm

Some of the particular tendencies that come along with my PTSD kind of take care of a lot of that sort of thing for me, as it were.
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:54 pm

I personally recommend this book. I spent 2.5 years studying under this guy and came away with a lot of things that have really helped me. I'm not military, law enforcement, or raised on the street. I figured that I had to learn some of these things to survive through a move to a much tougher country and city. He's one of the guys I turned to and I believe it was worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Your-Own- ... nav-subnav

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:30 pm

Jesse wrote:I personally recommend this book. I spent 2.5 years studying under this guy and came away with a lot of things that have really helped me. I'm not military, law enforcement, or raised on the street. I figured that I had to learn some of these things to survive through a move to a much tougher country and city. He's one of the guys I turned to and I believe it was worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Your-Own- ... nav-subnav

Thank you for your recommendation. There are hundreds of books out there that claim to provide this kind of thing, and the vast majority are great big steaming piles of bullshit, so the fact that you've actually recommended this one as being useful helps it to stand out from all the other useless ones.

Another great one I have recommended on here before was Rory Miller's Meditations on Violence. Everyone should read that book, it's not a long read but some great stuff in there.
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

dalesr

Postby dalesr » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:42 am

On a side note, some twat happy slapped a good friend of mine who just happens to be a pro boxer, needless to say I don't think that he'd rush to do it again. My mates brother was with him and it took him ages to tell me the story between fits of laughter.

speedy

Postby speedy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:15 pm

Snaplight wrote:Violent crime seems to be everywhere these days Knife crime as well as the truly dismal act of 'Happy Slapping' and unprovoked attacks seem to be on the increase.
I've read the works of Cooper on Situational Awareness - I'm wondering what you guys consciously do to minimize any potential issues and limit leaving yourself in a weakened position.

Speaking for myself I'll always try and sit in a booth or table with a solid wall behind me , also I tend to reverse into parking spaces.

Do you guys do anything similar?

Just try to be aware of everything around me, behind me, next to me, and so on.
My log.Speedy Log

Snaplight

Postby Snaplight » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:37 am

I think the recent events all over the western world , most recently Nice shows that Situational Awareness is something that is just for the paranoids.
Remaining 'switched on' is a practiced discipline - not saying its going to necessarily help in these sort of situations but it may provide a chance for you and your loved ones.

sculls

Postby sculls » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:16 am

I think one has to walk a line here between being aware, and unintentionally broadcasting fear and thereby attracting hyenas. You're hypervigilant, you start to smell like a bunny.

If you appear to be a potentially troublesome victim (does not necessarily mean firepower, someone who seems to be ready to make a lot of noise and attract help usually suffices) and are just mentally present, that should deter almost all mugggers and happy slappers. I saved myself from being mugged by simply looking up from my mobile phone screen and being startled last year. Guy had been approaching me directly, suddendly changed direction and gave me wide birth, pretending nothing's the matter and walked out of my life looking for an easier victim.

If not, it's rahter frustration-release victimisation (Nothing you do deescalates or satisfies the threat.) or a monkey dance (thx Miller and MacYoung). The former you can flee with good chances for success, because you are not under attack yet and he's still ramping up. The latter one can easily walk away from, in part because you are part of the problem.
Sport is specific, training is individual.

Train congruently! (not much of a catchphrase but a great concept)
http://www.youtube.com/user/CongruentExercise/videos

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”