precision air pistol anybody?

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
Faust

precision air pistol anybody?

Postby Faust » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:52 pm

I recently picked up shooting 10m air pistol according to the olympic rules of ISSF and the respective national body.
It's quite fun and I recognize I can really train my concentration and of course my frustration tolerance when missing the centre.
I got so much into it recently, I even got me a Walther LP 400 which upped my score significantly. Still there is a long way to go.
Can anyone rely?
The receiver makes the massage.

speedy

Re: precision air pistol anybody?

Postby speedy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:00 am

My experience with BB and Pellet guns goes back to my childhood. I started with a gun just like the rifle in the movie "Christmas Story". After that I got a Pellet gun that also shot BB's. Well it got to the point I was a crack shot with that gun no matter how small or far the target was, if I could see it and it was within range I can hit it with one shot. Case and point, I was so good I was getting bored and would staple-gun my GI JOES to the wood-fire logs just to challenge myself. Limb by limb I would shoot off and NEVER EVER miss. Clearly I spent a lot of time on that gun.

I messed with Air Pistols and wasn't crazy about them. First I hated CO2's. The best pressure is always on the first set of rounds. After that the pressure gets weak fast. If I would to do a pistol all over again I would look into using an air compressor and/or some sort of built-in-pump much like I had on both of my rifles.

Years later (talking about a couple of decades) I was asked to join in a day at the paintball range. Well that lit a fire under my butt and after that took a gun course and been shooting the real thing ever since.
2017 - Focusing 100% on Yoga (various kinds) and cardio. As to why, read my log.
Speedy Log

Faust

Postby Faust » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:22 pm

Well, if you look at the LP 400, it's one of the best air pressure pistols you can get. One could definitely shoot for an olympic medal with it. Not me though. I use it as the probably cheapest way to practice my aiming skills (once you swallowed the price of the pistol). And reviewing the last months, it definitely works.

speedy

Postby speedy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:41 am

Faust wrote:Well, if you look at the LP 400, it's one of the best air pressure pistols you can get. One could definitely shoot for an olympic medal with it. Not me though. I use it as the probably cheapest way to practice my aiming skills (once you swallowed the price of the pistol). And reviewing the last months, it definitely works.

I was poking around for I was just curious and thought it would be fun to mess around with in the backyard, but $1600? Hell my awesome new Bose Soundbar system was less than that.

Also, if I am seeing this right, the air sources now are a refillable tank vs the old days as a kid with disposable CO2 cartridges? If I am right, finally!
2017 - Focusing 100% on Yoga (various kinds) and cardio. As to why, read my log.
Speedy Log

Faust

Postby Faust » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:20 am

Yeah, it's a serious piece of sports equipment. Given the skill, one could shoot out an olympic medal with it.
You're right about the pressurized air tank, a very convenient evolution.

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”