concealed carry

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
speedy

Re: concealed carry

Postby speedy » Wed May 18, 2016 7:45 am

judoka wrote:Can I ask why you're only looking at 9mm? I don't care what caliber you choose, but it does limit your options.

To chime in here. 9mm is the most affordable (past 22 and the other small round). It really does the job much to people's arguments. I have shot 45's and if you become efficient with it I can see it for military purposes including police. But for the average joe a 9mm will do just fine.

Also, focusing on conceal carry, many prefer carrying smaller sized guns. Smaller sized guns are easier to shoot (less recoil) when shooting a 9mm (in comparison to a 45). Being that I have shot numerous rounds out of a 9mm Sig model that is a popular carry gun; even that started hurting my wrist. I can only imagine what it would feel like with a 45 round. Bigger guns such as my Beretta 92F are not as rough to shoot, and as such I can shoot more rounds with little to no pain in my wrist. Pains in the wrist are caused by recoil. Each person is different on how much they can shoot before they feel it. While this isn't really all that important in terms of protection, it has some importance in terms of shooting multiple rounds at a time at a range.

Why is that range time important? When you carry you really want to be efficient with your carry gun. You need the ease of removal as putting back into it's carrying spot. You want to be fairly accurate. You don't have to be professional groupings but you should be good enough so when you fire at your target you are confident that you won't miss and for the most part hit what you are aiming at. Lastly, you want to be efficient enough so you do not spend a lot time aiming. You want to be able to pull, aim, and fire. This can even be made easier with a laser site/pointer; so much easier you probably can shoot from the hip cowboy style; assuming the laser is true.

So there are few things to consider when choosing rounds:
Recoil
Accuracy
Cost
Aiming options
And things I am not even thinking about.

Just my 2-cents.
2017 - Focusing 100% on Yoga (various kinds) and cardio. As to why, read my log.
Speedy Log

judoka

Postby judoka » Wed May 18, 2016 12:38 pm

I carry a gun as part of my job. I'm very familiar with different rounds, how they shoot, etc... I was just curious why he went with a 9mm. His answer made sense.
To be honest, I prefer .40, but I understand a lot of people don't shoot it well. I also have the luxury of not having to pay for ammo, so I don't have to think about cost, at least on a personal level.
I don't have anything against 9mm, I'm just always curious when people say they only want a particular round.

Skinsfan28

Postby Skinsfan28 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:58 pm

Seeing you're as paranoid as me, I'd like to know more about how you did it.

It's not paranoia, and don't let people tell you that it is. It's simply logical reasoning and common sense that bad things happen. The first and most important thing to you and your safety is awareness and paying attention to your surroundings and avoiding places that put you at higher risk. I know it's said all the time, but it's the truth. Most of the crime headlines you read wouldn't happen if that first rule was followed.

having said that most of my ways were not anything that will apply to you necessarily because our laws are much different than yours. As an example we can carry an unloaded gun in our vehicles legally as long as they are in your glove box or center console. Unloaded means the magazine isn't in the gun, but the mag can be loaded. So I would carry with the slide locked open and the mag next to it. I could slide it in and hit the release and be good. We could carry the same way on our person as long as the gun was in a "case". The definition of a case was loosely defined, so a fanny pack would work or back pack. there's a few more options and to be honest I wasn't exactly legal all the time, but due to my job I had to carry some times large amounts of cash on my person to and from my car. I also had to inspect houses in some of our worst neighborhoods. In those cases I didn't carry legally, I just carried.
"Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
- Earl Nightingale

Faust

Postby Faust » Wed May 18, 2016 2:08 pm

Recently I shot a .44 magnum revolver for the first time in my life and the boom is great but I can't imagine me ever shooting this caliber accurately.
Mind you, I'm a beginner with all this, but 9mm so far were the most convenient rounds I shot.

I also enjoy shooting the .22 rifle. I very easily get reach my accuracy limits shooting rifles standing. When in the army I mostly shot the machine gun, because I was the one being strong enough to carry it wherever. Now a single round with a rifle is something so totally different, just whoa.

There is a lot to explore for me.
The receiver makes the massage.

Faust

Postby Faust » Wed May 18, 2016 2:19 pm

Skinsfan28 wrote:
Seeing you're as paranoid as me, I'd like to know more about how you did it.

It's not paranoia, and don't let people tell you that it is. It's simply logical reasoning and common sense that bad things happen. The first and most important thing to you and your safety is awareness and paying attention to your surroundings and avoiding places that put you at higher risk. I know it's said all the time, but it's the truth. Most of the crime headlines you read wouldn't happen if that first rule was followed.

having said that most of my ways were not anything that will apply to you necessarily because our laws are much different than yours. As an example we can carry an unloaded gun in our vehicles legally as long as they are in your glove box or center console. Unloaded means the magazine isn't in the gun, but the mag can be loaded. So I would carry with the slide locked open and the mag next to it. I could slide it in and hit the release and be good. We could carry the same way on our person as long as the gun was in a "case". The definition of a case was loosely defined, so a fanny pack would work or back pack. there's a few more options and to be honest I wasn't exactly legal all the time, but due to my job I had to carry some times large amounts of cash on my person to and from my car. I also had to inspect houses in some of our worst neighborhoods. In those cases I didn't carry legally, I just carried.

Well, I said paranoid with my tongue-in-cheek. From your description our laws don't seem to differ that much. Transporting the gun in the car or in a case sounds very alike, just you have to prove the requirement (as a juridical term) for your sports shooting. Self defense is not provided by german gun laws.
You have to store your guns in a gun safe. You'd have to politely ask a home invader to postpone his endeavor until you opened your safe and loaded your gun. It is ridiculous.
The receiver makes the massage.

Wasatch

Postby Wasatch » Wed May 25, 2016 5:26 pm

I have/carry a Springfield Armory 9mm XDSC. Corbon DPX PD ammo.

Sublime

Postby Sublime » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:50 pm

XD subcompact mod 2 in 40cal.......165 grain kicks less :mozilla_wink:
- Fatigue makes cowards of us all -

Paladin

Postby Paladin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:42 am

I'll jump in for my annual visit. If you haven't settled on your EDC gun, try the Springfield XD variants. I carry, shoot and instruct with these. Personal favorites. Glocks and Sigs come in second for me. But that's just personal preference.
Blessed be the Lord my rock, Who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle! Psalm 144:1
For those who have hunted armed men, training will never be the same.
Help the children of fallen heroes: Please Donate: http://www.specialops.org/

speedy

Postby speedy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:45 am

I have to admit XD's are very cool gun, and I am Croatian by blood and I think it's very cool that is where the gun is made.
2017 - Focusing 100% on Yoga (various kinds) and cardio. As to why, read my log.
Speedy Log

sculls

Postby sculls » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 am

Glock 26. Reliable, well priced, extra mags and replacement parts dirt cheap and easily available. Accessories also widely available. Mags of larger models (19 and 17) fit.

If you really, really, want to be a snowflake: Walther P99c. Great SA/DA emulating trigger system with decocker.

If bigger is an option: Glock 19.

And for those who cannot but be different: again Walther P99, but the full sized one. Would stay away from its successor the PPQ: too hot for carry and just one light striker fire trigger mode.
Sport is specific, training is individual.

Train congruently! (not much of a catchphrase but a great concept)
http://www.youtube.com/user/CongruentExercise/videos

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”