concealed carry

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
speedy

Re: concealed carry

Postby speedy » Mon May 16, 2016 8:17 am

Faust wrote:You're not allowed doesn't mean you can't.

Hmmm....sounds shady to me but hey it's your life.

Faust

Postby Faust » Mon May 16, 2016 10:25 am

I abide the law as much as I can take responsibility for doing so.
But I see the state's monopoly on power is eroding and I don't want to be unprepared. That's as shady as it gets.
The receiver makes the massage.

Skinsfan28

Postby Skinsfan28 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:18 pm

I live in one of the last states to allow CC, but I've been carrying for a couple of years. It changed the way I did it to lessen the exposure of being caught. Ultimately though about the only time you are really in jeopardy of being found out is if you used it and the decision came down to I'd rather be arrested for illegal carry after defending myself than be dead so....

In regards to the Berretta 92, I was told that it was designed to be a more point and shoot weapon as opposed to a marksman shooting pistol. That really didn't make sense to me 100%, but I can't say whether that holds water or not. I'm not sure I explained that well enough, but it's supposed to be a more natural draw and shoot pistol as opposed to lining up sites. Does that make sense?
"Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
- Earl Nightingale

speedy

Postby speedy » Mon May 16, 2016 12:58 pm

Doesn't make sense to me either. To me a point and shoot would be a snub-nose revolver. I am very accurate (when I practice consistently) with the 92F. Also, I have heard many others say the same. But Beretta is bashed by people much like Glocks and other guns. Just the way it is. I love it and don't give a crap what others have to say. Point and shoot, sure I can do that. Is it a big target?

Faust

Postby Faust » Mon May 16, 2016 3:35 pm

Skinsfan28 wrote:It changed the way I did it to lessen the exposure of being caught.

How? would you elaborate?

Skinsfan28 wrote:In regards to the Beretta 92, I was told that it was designed to be a more point and shoot weapon as opposed to a marksman shooting pistol. That really didn't make sense to me 100%, but I can't say whether that holds water or not. I'm not sure I explained that well enough, but it's supposed to be a more natural draw and shoot pistol as opposed to lining up sites. Does that make sense?

I plan a Beretta for sports shooting. Most people recommend Sigs to me for precision, but I like the feel of the gun. I'll test it a little more before buying though.

Skinsfan28

Postby Skinsfan28 » Mon May 16, 2016 3:49 pm

When I'm shooting about the only thing I look at is the front site, which maybe is what the guy was referencing by point and shoot or not. You run into all types of know-it-alls at a gun range.
"Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
- Earl Nightingale

Faust

Postby Faust » Tue May 17, 2016 3:02 pm

Skinsfan28 wrote:I live in one of the last states to allow CC, but I've been carrying for a couple of years. It changed the way I did it to lessen the exposure of being caught. Ultimately though about the only time you are really in jeopardy of being found out is if you used it and the decision came down to I'd rather be arrested for illegal carry after defending myself than be dead so....

Seeing you're as paranoid as me, I'd like to know more about how you did it.

@speedy, don't get me wrong, I found an interest in sports shooting via bow and arrow. Actually I just want to find out how good I can be at shooting guns. I shoot air pistol for 3 month now, almost 2 to 3 times a week and shoot around 350 rings (of 400). I am an intuitive bow shooter, so precision shooting is quite new to me. It'll be around february next year when I can apply for a gun owners license. In preparation I have to prove at least 18 times of shooting big calibers in a year, so I'm shooting every gun and rifle I can get hold of. I want to be prepared when the time comes.
Concealed carry is more like a what-if-option.

@jesse

good suggestion, but it's not like that over here. You can't just go to a range and try guns. You have to prove membership in a sports shooting club and the gun my club owns is a twenty+ year revolver (which is disturbingly precise though). That's the way it is. All guns I shot so far are the property of experienced club members who know and teach me a thing or two. Nice and knowledgeable people, those shooters.

judoka

Postby judoka » Tue May 17, 2016 5:20 pm

Can I ask why you're only looking at 9mm? I don't care what caliber you choose, but it does limit your options.

Faust

Postby Faust » Tue May 17, 2016 6:41 pm

judoka wrote:Can I ask why you're only looking at 9mm? I don't care what caliber you choose, but it does limit your options.

Of course, 9mm is the most common in Germany and most easily to get. It is also the cheapest of the big calibers, even ore when you reload shells yourself.

judoka

Postby judoka » Tue May 17, 2016 9:19 pm

Fair enough, that makes sense. There's quite a large number of the micro nines now too.

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”