concealed carry

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
ironwarrior1

Re: concealed carry

Postby ironwarrior1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:33 pm

I have limited my range time to once per week. I have found by using snap caps with my firearms (1911, Glock 21, and CZ P-09), my skills have really improved. I have set up a dry-fire range in my basement with targets. I do the dry-fire practice right after training (gym is also in the basement), so this is really convenient. I practice draws, movement, cover and concealment, clearing malfunctions, etc. I also purchased the dry-fire training deck of cards for added variety.
Ultimately, we're all dead men. Sadly, we cannot choose how but, what we can decide is how we meet that end, in order that we are remembered, as men.

speedy

Postby speedy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:30 am

That is the beauty of the Glock you really don't need snap caps. They are specifically designed so if you dry-fired till your hand was exhausted the gun and firing pin would be fine.
My log.Speedy Log

Paladin

Postby Paladin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:57 pm

ironwarrior1 wrote:I have limited my range time to once per week. I have found by using snap caps with my firearms (1911, Glock 21, and CZ P-09), my skills have really improved. I have set up a dry-fire range in my basement with targets. I do the dry-fire practice right after training (gym is also in the basement), so this is really convenient. I practice draws, movement, cover and concealment, clearing malfunctions, etc. I also purchased the dry-fire training deck of cards for added variety.

Great training described right there. Dry-fire, when done intelligently and consistently, can up your game quicker than even live-fire. I also conditions "out" the inevitable flinch reaction, and that's a good thing. I used Chris Graham's 30-10 program to fine-tune my shooting a few years back, and go back to it often.
Blessed be the Lord my rock, Who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle! Psalm 144:1
For those who have hunted armed men, training will never be the same.
Help the children of fallen heroes: Please Donate: http://www.specialops.org/

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:15 pm

speedy wrote:@Jesse

So to make sure I understand what this is right, it's nothing more than a toy gun with technology? For the amount of money they are asking for would make more sense to buy a SR22 (very similar to combat guns), and shoot that.

If I was special forces maybe I would get this, but as the average Joe IMHO it's overkill.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I am sure Glock Talk would love it if they don't already know about it.

Laser Color Gun - $339.00

SR22 - $345 and up (varies location to location)

Even though the SR22 will cost more, it's still a real gun using a caliber that has so little recoil that you can work on flinching and etc plus snap caps.

I think technology is at times getting ridiculous. But that is my opinion from someone that is in IT. Go figure!

I really was of the same opinion until I broke down and brought one. The sheer number of uses, the amount of practice you find yourself doing daily, and the opportunities to train safely (again upping your usage), all pay off.

The more I read, study and listen, the more I'm convinced that a skilled shooter is not simply someone who shoots well, but someone who makes very quick decisions well and this along with airsoft force on force etc... is a major tool to practice that. By decision making, I'm talking about everything from shoot/don't shoot to room clearing and scenarios.

A lower caliber handgun or rifle modeled along the line of what you usually use is a great tool to practice shooting, but decision making with a real gun is something you can ONLY do well in a very well made and permissive range, way out in the boonies, or in a really good shoot house. A laser pistol makes decision making practice very easy without any special measure or safety considerations.

speedy

Postby speedy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:32 pm

To each is own. To be honest I rather have this:

My log.Speedy Log

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:02 pm

I'm more of a both/and not either/or. :P All part of this complete package.

Currently with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Endura- ... B00190VMFM

Paladin

Postby Paladin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:59 am

Jesse wrote:
speedy wrote:@Jesse

So to make sure I understand what this is right, it's nothing more than a toy gun with technology? For the amount of money they are asking for would make more sense to buy a SR22 (very similar to combat guns), and shoot that.

If I was special forces maybe I would get this, but as the average Joe IMHO it's overkill.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I am sure Glock Talk would love it if they don't already know about it.

Laser Color Gun - $339.00

SR22 - $345 and up (varies location to location)

Even though the SR22 will cost more, it's still a real gun using a caliber that has so little recoil that you can work on flinching and etc plus snap caps.

I think technology is at times getting ridiculous. But that is my opinion from someone that is in IT. Go figure!

I really was of the same opinion until I broke down and brought one. The sheer number of uses, the amount of practice you find yourself doing daily, and the opportunities to train safely (again upping your usage), all pay off.

The more I read, study and listen, the more I'm convinced that a skilled shooter is not simply someone who shoots well, but someone who makes very quick decisions well and this along with airsoft force on force etc... is a major tool to practice that. By decision making, I'm talking about everything from shoot/don't shoot to room clearing and scenarios.

A lower caliber handgun or rifle modeled along the line of what you usually use is a great tool to practice shooting, but decision making with a real gun is something you can ONLY do well in a very well made and permissive range, way out in the boonies, or in a really good shoot house. A laser pistol makes decision making practice very easy without any special measure or safety considerations.

If the price of the laser gun is a deal breaker, then the Laserlyte cartridge for around $100 that goes in your gun's barrel, and shows you with a brief laser dot where each of your practice shots go, makes for really good training. I had an earlier version from a few years back that wasn't completely reliable, but the newer ones are apparently doing really well.

https://www.amazon.com/Laserlyte-Laser- ... erlyte+9mm

I have the luxury of getting cheap and often free ammo, with a semi-private range just 15 mins from my house. But if this long, apocalyptic winter continues, I will definitely get another Laserlyte for in-home training.
Blessed be the Lord my rock, Who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle! Psalm 144:1
For those who have hunted armed men, training will never be the same.
Help the children of fallen heroes: Please Donate: http://www.specialops.org/

Faust

Postby Faust » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Unfortunately the LaserLyte is not sold in Germany due to import restrictions of lasers.
Does anyone have some knowledge about the SureStrike laser ammo?
This one is available here and I'd like to try this way of training.
The receiver makes the massage.

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:59 pm

They work well. Depending on the type of gun you have, you will need to rack the slide between every shot.

Faust

Postby Faust » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:58 am

Thanks for sharing your opinion on that, Jesse!
With the HK USP Expert there will be no racking necessary. Do you recommend getting that safety pin which is put into the barrel? The whole SureStrike set makes a good 70€ more!
The receiver makes the massage.

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”