Can u learn to fight / defend yourself from home?

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
Shia

Can u learn to fight / defend yourself from home?

Postby Shia » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi guys, I have a question for those of you experienced in boxing / fighting.

I recently watched the movie 'The Hurricane' with Denzel Washington and the scene below (plus hearing that one only needs 5lb of force to knock someone out) got me thinking about whether it is possible to 'turn yourself into a weapon' from the comfort of your own home with little to no equipment?

The scene in question

[youtube]9DjcKEwWIpY[/youtube]

If it only takes 5lb of force to knock someone out, it makes me think heavy bag work isn't necessary to be able to do damage - more important would be hand eye coordination and technique/knowing how to throw a punch correctly, I would have thought.

I used to box for two years and developed decent technique, footwork and a basic knowledge of how to punch that has never left me, so I was wondering if it would be possible to hone, improve and become more efficient in boxing/defending myself with only things such as shadow boxing and a make-shift slip bag (I have actually hung a yoyo from my ceiling and use it to duck and dive, bob and weave as well as throw punches and combinations - sounds silly but works well).

So whats your guys opinions on this?

Obviously I know the best thing would be to join a boxing club again, but thats not an option, at least not until September time. Im not interested in becoming a war machine, but just perhaps giving myself the upper hand (regardless of how slight) when it comes to defending myself if needs be

Hardcase

Re: Can u learn to fight / defend yourself from home?

Postby Hardcase » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:39 pm

Yes and no. To learn to fight you need to be fighting with a live human in front of you that you don't know what they're gonna do. Need to join a boxing or BJJ or MA gym and spar with others. By being fit and strong you'll be able to handle yourself in a street confrontation and maybe come out on top but you wouldn't have the skills or fitness to take on a trained fighter, no way.

speedy

Postby speedy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:41 pm

There is real life and then there is movies. You were influenced by a movie which I am sure happened to all of us one way or another.

The thing about training whether boxing, MMA, whatever most likely you will be training on your own, thinking you are making progress, believing you have good technique, then you walk into a gym and deal with a trainer and/or go into a sparring session and then you get a reality check. The fact is to properly learn a skill (boxing, MMA, etc.) the only real way to get good at it is getting properly trained. Even if the desire will only be a hobby what I am saying holds true.

If you want to get an upper-hand till you can get properly trained is get yourself in the best shape you can. Eat right, work a lot on cardio, some strength, and stay consistent. Also, try to do exercises that you might do in a boxing gym for instance: example jump rope. Even if you were to do Burpees or Manmakers you would be in a better position than if you were to sit on the couch waiting till the day you can get to the gym.

To summarize, get fit, stay fit, and when you walk in, at least you are not walking in completely raw. Stay humble and take advice, and learn. Be a sponge and absorb as much as you can.

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:49 pm

Anything helps. No home study is going to come anywhere close to training in a good school. Not anywhere close. Both are true.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:58 pm

Would you train to ride a rodeo bull by sitting on a chair at home?
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Shia

Postby Shia » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:04 pm

Wondered where this thread went! Yeah i understand what you guys are saying, but i've boxed before as well as kickboxed, have decent technique and know how to punch, I'm literally just talking in terms of potential street confrontations.

Two situations recently where random people have either been drunk or just disorderly have been quite confrontational with me and it made me want to start, well, not getting in fighting shape, but making sure my punches/hand eye coordination/footwork and headmovement are still up to scratch if I ever find myself in a situation where I have to defend myself.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Dude, the answer is no.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Shia

Postby Shia » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:49 pm

pathfighter wrote:Dude, the answer is no.

I find it hard to believe that if someone dedicated 20 minutes a day to slip bag training, shadow boxing and other at-home boxing drills, they would have no advantage over someone who doesn't train to fight.

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:22 pm

There are important principles you can only get from live sparring IMHO.
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Everything in streetfighting is a percentage chance and the percentages are far smaller than you would think. You gain advantage by training, but you could be training yourself perfectly in very wrong or slightly wrong habits. It's very much a complete package. Essentially home solo training boils down to trying to reinvent centuries of learning by yourself. It doesn't work long term at all.

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”