Cop fights guy resisting arrest

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
finnegan

Re: Cop fights guy resisting arrest

Postby finnegan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:06 pm

tatertot wrote:
judoka wrote:Ars 13-1204.B.1 covers strangulation.

We tried to start an open mat a few years ago. Myself and one other person showed up.

I'm on a department now with 12 guys, myself included. In college I was lucky to get into mma, and got to train and fight with some really talented guys. I was never good enough to get to the "big leagues" or anything, but I just love what you find out about yourself in a fight.

I came from a larger department, and was in charge of training the new guys in combatives, and we had some pretty good guys in to work on a regular basis.

When I moved departments, I noticed nobody rolled, or didn't seem to want to. We got really short staffed, and my chief had to cover patrol shifts. He ended up on the bad end of a fight where he got injured pretty badly. Once he got better from that, he has been fanatical about training, and getting guys to come in. Weve got a pretty good thing going here as far as guys wanting to better themselves. Its very refreshing to see the change in the tone of the department, not to mention there arent too many guys who get to choke their bosses and get away with it.

Excellent to hear. It was great to use bjj on the bad guys and have them be controlled, quieted and not a friggin mark on them.

tatertot

Postby tatertot » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:27 am

I agree. Finnegan your last reply reminds me of this Joe Rogan video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjZ3XgGUeYg

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:05 pm

Great stuff Tot.

Incidentally I am a big Joe Rogan fan, not agreeing with all of what he says but I like him. His maxim of "being the nicest motherfucker you can possibly be" is great, I include it in my morning and evening prayers ( minus the Mofo-I substitute guy).

Its interesting that so much LEO training is still based on boxing and the use of long distance running. Boxing is great, certainly not knocking it never ever would. Long distance running is great if you like it.

Both are not ideal for the average LEO. I love boxing, beautiful sport. Yet for most of us the skill set and training demands required to have it be of use in self defense is just too much time for the average LEO to invest. And I have yet to meet a cop who had to run 4 miles in under 30 minutes to capture a perp.

More realistic training would be this: have trainee suit up in uniform (vest, dummy gunbelt) make sure he has had no more than 5 hours of sleep night before. Have him sit down eat a burger. Then his wife or gf texts or calls yelling that he left mess in bathroom when he left and than he better not be staying late again for overtime. Just as the burger is done radio run goes out of cop needing assistance of 5th floor stairway landing (its a walk up building no elevator) trainee sprints to scene sprints up stairs and engages in the physical act of helping subdue the bad guy.

:dance: Thats realism.

judoka

Postby judoka » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:37 pm

I like the idea of teaching cops the basic 4 punches of boxing. I find a lot of the control holds and such mostly useless. I wish they'd focus more on basic wrestling and simply controlling people.
I'm a big fan of sprints for cops. Probably the most useful conditioning you can do.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:25 am

Agree.

Absolutely on the sprints. I just love sprints. Love the way I feel , love the lungs expanding. Its always something I mention when people say they have no time to train. No time to do 10 sets of 35 meter sprints with 10 second rest?

tatertot

Postby tatertot » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:01 pm

finnegan wrote:Great stuff Tot.

Incidentally I am a big Joe Rogan fan, not agreeing with all of what he says but I like him. His maxim of "being the nicest motherfucker you can possibly be" is great, I include it in my morning and evening prayers ( minus the Mofo-I substitute guy).

Its interesting that so much LEO training is still based on boxing and the use of long distance running. Boxing is great, certainly not knocking it never ever would. Long distance running is great if you like it.

Both are not ideal for the average LEO. I love boxing, beautiful sport. Yet for most of us the skill set and training demands required to have it be of use in self defense is just too much time for the average LEO to invest. And I have yet to meet a cop who had to run 4 miles in under 30 minutes to capture a perp.

More realistic training would be this: have trainee suit up in uniform (vest, dummy gunbelt) make sure he has had no more than 5 hours of sleep night before. Have him sit down eat a burger. Then his wife or gf texts or calls yelling that he left mess in bathroom when he left and than he better not be staying late again for overtime. Just as the burger is done radio run goes out of cop needing assistance of 5th floor stairway landing (its a walk up building no elevator) trainee sprints to scene sprints up stairs and engages in the physical act of helping subdue the bad guy.

I also love a lot of the stuff Joe Rogan says. He is a pretty legit martial artist. Some of his stuff is pretty far out there though.

I agree completely with you in regards to boxing training. I teach my guys the four basic punches with the caveat that depending on where you punch someone, there is a decent chance you will break your hand if you dont train to punch things often. We work some muay thai stuff, and mix a lot of takedowns and controlling from the ground. Short of guillotines and kimuras from the bottom, I teach a couple of easy sweeps from the bottom to get them out of trouble if they find themselves there.

I get on the guys who don't train combatives all the time. Most are gung ho on training with firearms. Most of the guys train monthly on firearms, which is great. I tell them all the time, there is a good chance most of them will never fire their weapons at a bad guy, but there is no doubt they will have to fight a bad guy at some point in time. I tell them to NOT train in combatives is doing a diservice to everyone.

I love what you say about the sprints too. I think the PT standards for LEO's need to be changed greatly. We have to run 1.5 miles as a standard. There is no time when I can ever dream about chasing someone for 1.5 miles.

I have my guys and girl working anaerobically all the time during training. They are sick of burpees and jumping squats, but love the results.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:22 am

Your cops are blessed to have someone over them who cares for their safety and well being.

No cop who ever wins in subduing a perp ever said "boy sure do wish I had trained less."

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:07 pm

tatertot wrote:

I also love a lot of the stuff Joe Rogan says. He is a pretty legit martial artist. Some of his stuff is pretty far out there though.

I agree completely with you in regards to boxing training. I teach my guys the four basic punches with the caveat that depending on where you punch someone, there is a decent chance you will break your hand if you dont train to punch things often. We work some muay thai stuff, and mix a lot of takedowns and controlling from the ground. Short of guillotines and kimuras from the bottom, I teach a couple of easy sweeps from the bottom to get them out of trouble if they find themselves there.

I get on the guys who don't train combatives all the time. Most are gung ho on training with firearms. Most of the guys train monthly on firearms, which is great. I tell them all the time, there is a good chance most of them will never fire their weapons at a bad guy, but there is no doubt they will have to fight a bad guy at some point in time. I tell them to NOT train in combatives is doing a diservice to everyone.

I love what you say about the sprints too. I think the PT standards for LEO's need to be changed greatly. We have to run 1.5 miles as a standard. There is no time when I can ever dream about chasing someone for 1.5 miles.

I have my guys and girl working anaerobically all the time during training. They are sick of burpees and jumping squats, but love the results.

but aerobic work improves recovery capacity between bouts of effort. you want your guys to sprint to chase down the perp, but then you want them fit and fresh while the subdue and process them.

not for any specific reason, but there is a youtube video out there of a perp that crashes a car, gets out and starts running. there's about a half dozen cops chasing him, some of them obviously out of shape and kind of roly poly. then this one cop runs up from the back like a goddam freight train, overtakes everyone and takes the perp down. that guy saved everyone pain and suffering, including the perp, and may have saved a life by cutting the whole charade short. i'm on a plane right now, otherwise i'd find the link. if anyone knows the one i'm talking about, please post. made my heart glow to see.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Faust

Postby Faust » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:48 pm

^I think I remember that vid and was thinking exactly the same, but I can't find it.
Read Nietzsche

tatertot

Postby tatertot » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:47 am

pathfighter wrote:
tatertot wrote:

but aerobic work improves recovery capacity between bouts of effort. you want your guys to sprint to chase down the perp, but then you want them fit and fresh while the subdue and process them.

not for any specific reason, but there is a youtube video out there of a perp that crashes a car, gets out and starts running. there's about a half dozen cops chasing him, some of them obviously out of shape and kind of roly poly. then this one cop runs up from the back like a goddam freight train, overtakes everyone and takes the perp down. that guy saved everyone pain and suffering, including the perp, and may have saved a life by cutting the whole charade short. i'm on a plane right now, otherwise i'd find the link. if anyone knows the one i'm talking about, please post. made my heart glow to see.

I don't want to make it seem like i'm completely discounting aerobic work. It certainly has its place. We only train as a work crew 1-2 times a week. Our warm ups before training usually consist of a 400m run, and some type of anaerobic work in between (burpees, jumping squats, plyometric pushups etc), and do 10 rounds of that. I try to mix a little of everything in. My guys and girl love/hate the shared suffering we do as a group.

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”