Cop fights guy resisting arrest

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
finnegan

Cop fights guy resisting arrest

Postby finnegan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:42 pm

http://www.bjjee.com/videos/cop-grapple ... -triangle/

Good guy wins thank God. Several points in here where the cop would (under NY law) be justified in using DPF. He didnt it resolved well and good guy goes home to have a cold one and animal goes to jail.

Blue Lives Matter

judoka

Re: Cop fights guy resisting arrest

Postby judoka » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:46 am

Good video. I hadn't seen that one yet. When he first grabs the officers neck, that would have justified deadly force in Az, as strangulation is considered aggravated assault here.
I can't believe how hard it is to get cops on the mat, even after they've been in fights on the job.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Good to know about strangulation aspect Judoka I did not know that.

Yeah Im with you as far as getting guys on the mat.

A bunch of us from white belt up to black belt (all from different bjj academies) used to gather from time to time for very early rolling. It was fun and we joked that it was a reverse version of guys going out to drink after a shift except the drink is the mat :mozilla_wink:

Hope you are staying safe and well out there. Getting hot early here in the valley so hydrate brother hydrate.

tatertot

Postby tatertot » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:19 pm

I put this video in my intro to use of force for new officers. There is nothing flashy here, just a pretty nasty ground fight. The officer did a good job getting the bad guy under control. The responding officers did a good job avoiding the pile on goat rope as well.

This video is proof that you need to at least be competent in ground fighting as the ground is the place where handcuffing a resisting bad guy takes place.

judoka

Postby judoka » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:41 pm

Ars 13-1204.B.1 covers strangulation.

We tried to start an open mat a few years ago. Myself and one other person showed up.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:52 am

finnegan wrote:Good to know about strangulation aspect Judoka I did not know that.

Yeah Im with you as far as getting guys on the mat.

A bunch of us from white belt up to black belt (all from different bjj academies) used to gather from time to time for very early rolling. It was fun and we joked that it was a reverse version of guys going out to drink after a shift except the drink is the mat :mozilla_wink:

Hope you are staying safe and well out there. Getting hot early here in the valley so hydrate brother hydrate.

My old self defense gym used to have special sessions for LEOs so they could spar/roll with their gear on. They said it made a huge difference, especially as they could train with weapons retention in mind, and would learn to use techniques, such as takedowns that wouldn't injure them due to gear getting in the way or would allow them to finish in a position that would give them access to their weapons. So many parameters, it's hard to mention them all.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Skinsfan28

Postby Skinsfan28 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:00 pm

The thing that jumps out at me the most is how alone you would have to feel in that situation while struggling to subdue a suspect and not knowing if the witnesses are going to become participants, and on whose side are they going to be on, especially in the current climate. In that situation back up probably feels an eternity away.
"Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
- Earl Nightingale

judoka

Postby judoka » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:22 pm

When you're in a knock down, drag out fight, one of the best feelings in the world is hearing the sirens getting closer.

tatertot

Postby tatertot » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:38 am

judoka wrote:Ars 13-1204.B.1 covers strangulation.

We tried to start an open mat a few years ago. Myself and one other person showed up.

I'm on a department now with 12 guys, myself included. In college I was lucky to get into mma, and got to train and fight with some really talented guys. I was never good enough to get to the "big leagues" or anything, but I just love what you find out about yourself in a fight.

I came from a larger department, and was in charge of training the new guys in combatives, and we had some pretty good guys in to work on a regular basis.

When I moved departments, I noticed nobody rolled, or didn't seem to want to. We got really short staffed, and my chief had to cover patrol shifts. He ended up on the bad end of a fight where he got injured pretty badly. Once he got better from that, he has been fanatical about training, and getting guys to come in. Weve got a pretty good thing going here as far as guys wanting to better themselves. Its very refreshing to see the change in the tone of the department, not to mention there arent too many guys who get to choke their bosses and get away with it.

judoka

Postby judoka » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:46 pm

There's been sort of a resurgence of training defensive tactics lately, so we'll see if that takes off soon.

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”