Article on Stoic Philosophy and the Profession of Arms

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
Jesse

Re: Article on Stoic Philosophy and the Profession of Arms

Postby Jesse » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:43 pm

That'd be fine, I'll send you contact information in a PM.

I don't believe I'm being quick to dismiss anything. There have been horrible things done in the name of christianity. They have however been sporadic, limited, and condemned by both other christians at the time and throughout history as heretics and secular charlatans masquerading as christians.

What bothers me about Islam is not those who help the innocent. It is that there is a large group of extremists who are prepared to kill those who will not convert. It is that there is an even larger group that won't kill innocent people personally, but support the terrorists in principle and through recruits and money. It is that these groups have existed continuously since almost the start. If they were not such a broad and inescapable part of Islam, it would be much more relaxing to deal with an individual muslim. When I meet a muslim, I do my best to accept them as they are, but it is very difficult to not remember that there is a N% chance that simply because they said that they are a muslim my life is then in danger. It would be much like being in WV about 100 years ago and meeting a Hatfield or a McCoy. They could be the nicest person, but I know what some of their family are like and I don't know them yet.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:41 pm

Jesse wrote:That'd be fine, I'll send you contact information in a PM.

I don't believe I'm being quick to dismiss anything. There have been horrible things done in the name of christianity. They have however been sporadic, limited, and condemned by both other christians at the time and throughout history as heretics and secular charlatans masquerading as christians.

What bothers me about Islam is not those who help the innocent. It is that there is a large group of extremists who are prepared to kill those who will not convert. It is that there is an even larger group that won't kill innocent people personally, but support the terrorists in principle and through recruits and money. It is that these groups have existed continuously since almost the start. If they were not such a broad and inescapable part of Islam, it would be much more relaxing to deal with an individual muslim. When I meet a muslim, I do my best to accept them as they are, but it is very difficult to not remember that there is a N% chance that simply because they said that they are a muslim my life is then in danger. It would be much like being in WV about 100 years ago and meeting a Hatfield or a McCoy. They could be the nicest person, but I know what some of their family are like and I don't know them yet.

So you're an armed fundamentalist Christian with an admitted prejudice against Muslims? Forgive me if I don't get in touch IRL.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:34 pm

I thought my point was that the idea of feeling threatened by a fundamentalist christian is ridiculous. The worst someone like me is going to do to anyone else is make you supper and disagree with you. If that's threatening to you, so be it.

Prejudice (Judging before seeing/knowing) I believe is wrong. Why is it that people while rightly opposing that have gone to the extreme of imagining that any kind of judgement call is wrong? Judging you individually sight unseen? Impossible. Judging Islam as a whole and making statements as I have that there are significant percentages that have given Islam a bad name by their actions is not prejudice on my part. It is a judgement call and life is impossible to continue without actually making those. If those are not your beliefs, then you should be as bothered as I am about those who have given a bad name to the beliefs that you hold. Hitler calling himself a christian bugs the fire out of me. Does it bother you that the attackers last night are representatives of a group that claim to follow the teachings of the Koran explicitly?

Ross Enamait
Site Admin

Postby Ross Enamait » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Take the religious discussions elsewhere. This isn't the place.

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”