Nanchaku

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
Abzzzz

Nanchaku

Postby Abzzzz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:26 pm

I've been getting more and more interested in Bruce Lee with each passing weak (previously only knew him for the movies), and after buying several of his books I went through some of his training videos on youtube and came across the nanchaku display where he plays ping pong/lights matchsticks with them. After seeing that I figured that learning how to use them (not to his level of course, just in regular practice) would offer a fair amount of coordination and fun for a workout.

I was curious if anyone has any experience with these weapons and if I could get any advice on where to start practicing. Though I'm not sure anyone here has dabbled in Nanchaku honestly Now, that's funny.

Jesse

Re: Nanchaku

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:47 pm

I've heard at least the ping pong videos are recent fabrications. I haven't seen any with matches. The nunchaku was okinawan and simply something he picked up quite later in life and there's no indication that he actually studied much with anyone that I can find. He did seem to have studied filipino arts a bit, but again...the nunchaku isn't filipino. There's some okinawan schools that still systematically teach it at higher levels and there are some books and videos out there. Good luck.

Abzzzz

Postby Abzzzz » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:38 am

Thanks. Kind of sucks to be told they're fake but still inspirational to see either way. Also here's the matchsticks one if you were curious http://youtu.be/0PLBXAcKyDw

speedy

Postby speedy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:04 am

As a kid and note I am going to be 41 this year I messed with these things. But I always knew them as nunchaku (pronounced nunchucks). Anyway, I used them, and mostly the padded ones for the simple fact I was a kung fu, ninja, Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris and many others fanatic. I was all about 5pm Kung Fu theatre on Satrudays and still miss it.

Anyway, the point is I didn't do them for protection, coordination, I just did them for I found them cool. Lucky for me the ones I owned (rope and chain) were padded for I can't tell you how many times I whacked my head and nuts. I actually got pretty good at it, but never good enough to take them to a fight.

In short, I would do it for pure enjoyment, and not do it thinking it will develop coordination and reasons such as that. Also, I can't express enough GET THE PADDED ONES!!!
Dr Sara Salomon <---more than just a pretty face. She is smart and has a lot of insight and yes I admit it, easy on the eyes. :mozilla_cool:

Abzzzz

Postby Abzzzz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:08 am

speedy wrote:As a kid and note I am going to be 41 this year I messed with these things. But I always knew them as nunchaku (pronounced nunchucks). Anyway, I used them, and mostly the padded ones for the simple fact I was a kung fu, ninja, Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris and many others fanatic. I was all about 5pm Kung Fu theatre on Satrudays and still miss it.

Anyway, the point is I didn't do them for protection, coordination, I just did them for I found them cool. Lucky for me the ones I owned (rope and chain) were padded for I can't tell you how many times I whacked my head and nuts. I actually got pretty good at it, but never good enough to take them to a fight.

In short, I would do it for pure enjoyment, and not do it thinking it will develop coordination and reasons such as that. Also, I can't express enough GET THE PADDED ONES!!!

Lols beat you to it. I was looking at padded ones before I even posted just because I know people that beat themselves silly with these things. They actually got here yesterday and were really fun to mess with. So if anything I think I will just do it for fun, would even make for a nice party trick (minus flaming nunchucks).

speedy

Postby speedy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:48 am

The last line reminded me of something. Two things I used to do as a kid (I was alone a lot), is I would light a candle and try to blow it out using punches and nunchucks.
Dr Sara Salomon <---more than just a pretty face. She is smart and has a lot of insight and yes I admit it, easy on the eyes. :mozilla_cool:

Abzzzz

Postby Abzzzz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:26 am

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:36 pm

Nunchakus and butterfly knives...big boy toys. :)

LonelyWolf

Postby LonelyWolf » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:23 pm

For nunchaku fans:

Once Upon a Time in High School (2004)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390205/

The endings a bit spoiled since you know the weapon of choice now, but I doubt fans will be disappointed. The build up is super long, but I enjoy that kinda thing in a film and really enjoyed the movie.

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:02 pm

I always preferred simple, heavy steel knuckledusters over any of the more outlandish things some of my friends would carry (including nunchucks) but I have to admit, they look pretty cool.
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”